• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

You replied with a quote just to give it the :thmbdown: emoticon I see...

This thread is useless if people ask questions unrelated to disc golf. Did you see what forums you're using?

And it is under a section called General Disc Golf Questions
Which is under a section called General Disc Golf Chat
Which is under a thread called, "Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

So I asked a dumb question. Pretty on topic I believe.
Still, it could easily have been ignored.
Instead we have not 1 but 2 people policing a thread called (Dumb Questions answered here) and totally oblivious to the fact that it was an innocent jest that truly is congruent with the thread.

But since we must mod this thread (Dumb Questions answered here) so heavily, is there some Disc Golf jargon for dealing with some very anal disc golfers?

Stud Muffin, here's another subtle hint; When a user with "Super-Moderator" responds to your question only to say "stay on topic", you're supposed to stay on topic. Seeing that you replied to his polite request with a "thumbs-down", and seeing that you're new here, I figured I would repeat this request, followed by my own Dumb Question.

When they say (Dumb Questions Answered Here), its referring to dumb Disc Golf questions. Not "what is the universe expanding into?".

This thread is useless if people flood it with question totally unrelated/irrelevant to disc golf. I have actually learned some things from this thread, and I'd like to continue reading informative, helpful questions & answers.

Stud Muffin, here's another subtle hint; When a user with "Super-Moderator" responds to your question only to say "stay on topic", you're supposed to stay on topic. Seeing that you replied to his polite request with a "thumbs-down", and seeing that you're new here, I figured I would repeat this request, followed by my own Dumb Question.

When they say (Dumb Questions Answered Here), its referring to dumb Disc Golf questions. Not "what is the universe expanding into?".

This thread is useless if people flood it with question totally unrelated/irrelevant to disc golf. I have actually learned some things from this thread, and I'd like to continue reading informative, helpful questions & answers.

Please try to stay on topic.

So, is there any jargon for disc golfers that are way too up tight?

What is a good driver, for someone who doesn't have a huge arm?

Generally for people without a lot of power, they tend to have better success with understable drivers with a lower speed and lower weight. A lot of those have been mentioned. Innova has a chart, and it lists and describes it's discs quite well. Also, if you are near a place that sells 'used' discs, like a Play It Again Sports, for example, then those used, beat up, understable discs are gold for you. The more beat up a disc gets, the more understable a disc becomes. Use this to your advantage, they are usually cheaper, and thus it costs less to experiment.

so if a disc starts out a 3400 .. Will it become a 34-20 ? Or between or? And does the fade change too? Does understable refer only to the high speed portion?

My spouse lost his Star Eagle recently, and it was his favorite disc. I think it is one he got at a tournament. He tried to use another 175 star eagle x he got at a tournament, and he said it is too overstable. He says the one he lost was also an eagle x but he is not sure of the weight.

What are the different types of eagles and how do you tell them apart? I ordered a 175 star eagle from GGGT and it turned out to be another eagle x. Is that what I should have expected?

Pretty sure all Stars are X's. DGC & Marshall Street list the X & L separate for the other plastics. The X mold has a lip on the edge of the wing, L is straight. Somebody here I'm sure can post the pic of the wings

My spouse lost his Star Eagle recently, and it was his favorite disc. I think it is one he got at a tournament. He tried to use another 175 star eagle x he got at a tournament, and he said it is too overstable. He says the one he lost was also an eagle x but he is not sure of the weight.

What are the different types of eagles and how do you tell them apart? I ordered a 175 star eagle from GGGT and it turned out to be another eagle x. Is that what I should have expected?

The one he lost he's been using for awhile right? The new one acts more overstable because it's new. The more he uses it, it will "season" or "break in" and then he will get the flight path he's looking for. Tell him to throw it into a wall for an hour or two. If that don't work at least you'll have the fun of watching your spouse throw a disc at a wall over and over and over.

In ball golf, it is recognized that balls can be hit farther when it is hot out. Is the same true for discs? Can discs be thrown farther when it is hot out? If so, why?

I've always found that the more humid the air or being more 'heavy' makes the discs fly shorter. I think thermals from the ground help the disc fly farther. Also it seems like cold weather makes a disc more understable and more heat makes it more overstable. I'm not a scientist or anything this is just what I have observed.

Well when it's humid theres literally water in the air that the disc has to travel through, hence shorter flights. Hot temps mean high air pressure and low temps mean low air pressure so when it's hot out the air is more densely packed meaning more air to fight through.

In ball golf, it is recognized that balls can be hit farther when it is hot out. Is the same true for discs? Can discs be thrown farther when it is hot out? If so, why?

With golf balls, that might be because they have a metal component (tungsten?) to them. I know that when you leave ammunition in the sun, it will travel farther so there might be a correlation there, I'm not sure.

Well when it's humid theres literally water in the air that the disc has to travel through, hence shorter flights. Hot temps mean high air pressure and low temps mean low air pressure so when it's hot out the air is more densely packed meaning more air to fight through.

But it seems like that would matter much more in ball golf where the ball is being forced through the air. In disc golf the disc is relying on the air to hold it aloft. While air that is less dense might be easier to fly through, it seems that the less dense air wouldn't hold the disc in the air as well. I would love to hear about this from someone who understands all of the forces at work e.g. spin, air friction, air density, speed, humidity.

Humid air is less dense than dry air because nitrogen is heavier than water vapor.

Warmer air is less dense than colder air, which is why hot air rises.

The amount of lift generated is affected by the viscosity or friction of the fluid encountered by the object, and also by the pressure of the fluid.

Pilots report that increased heat and humidity both decrease lift. They like to fly in cold dry air for maximum lift.

This is definitely true. When I played in tournaments (Ball Golf) I usually would club down in the heat. The hotter it is the more thinner the air is and the "molecules" are more active. In the cold everything is more dormant and the air is thicker, this is also the same when it is very humid out. I haven't found it effecting discs like it does in ball golf, but I would almost bet that the same disc thrown on the same line in the dead of winter would go 20 or 30 ft shorter than on a non-humid summer day.

This is also why it is illegal to Microwave golf balls. I know it sounds funny but people do try this in ball golf.

What isn't illegal is putting a handwarmer in your pocket with a golf ball, if the bal is warmer it will fly further.

But again I don't feel that it affects the discs as much as it did the golf balls.

What isn't illegal is putting a handwarmer in your pocket with a golf ball, if the bal is warmer it will fly further.

But again I don't feel that it affects the discs as much as it did the golf balls.

Guys I golfed with had propane heaters in their cart, and had a metal basket that sat right on the heater, and that is where they set their golf balls to warm them up.

Or

They would use a women compression golf ball.

In ball golf, to get the maximum flight, you must fully compress the golf ball. Golf companies mainly make 2 types of golf balls, one for pros who do not care about giving up a little distance for a softer ball that is easier to control and use, and then there are the super high compression balls for those seeking more distance. The catch 22 is you must hit them super heavy to compress them, otherwise, you will actually hit them shorter than normal. The colder a golf ball gets, the harder it gets to compress. So you have 2 main options on cold days: A warm up the high compression ball, or B use a lower compression ball, aka women golf ball, and don't worry about it. That is why you see the "Pink Ladies" become sacred items in the winter, lol.

I personally believe the cold weather increases a golf balls potential. My best round I used a 110 compression Wilson Staff, and my drives, I had a Killer Bee driver, and I hit it well hard enough to compress it, even though it was 32 degrees, and my ball was flying super far, and for once, I was hitting it straight, 320-360 yards. On the flip side, my irons I could not hit the ball hard enough to compress, so I had to ad a iron for measurements, so, for example, I would hit my 8 iron 150 yards typically, so when I was 150 out, I would hit a 7 iron, because I wasn't fully compressing the ball. I shot par that day, the only time I shot par, lol. I shot -9 one round at Jokerst in Festus, MO 2 days ago. It is a 9 basket course. I love disc golf, lol.

But on the disc golf side, I find just personal comfort, the layering of clothes, etc, such a hindrance, that I don't expect to have the full drive of t-shirt summer. Still, I find rain/high humidity more disruptive than the temp of the air.

Latest posts