• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Tuning is a gray area, you can argue it either way and I haven't seen an official answer from the PDGA on it's legality. It would be an almost impossible rule to enforce, especially since someone can just claim they're unbending the disc after a tree hit to return it to it's original shape.

I believe aerobie has 5 approved discs, the epic, the arrow, and the three sharpshooter discs.

Tuning is a gray area, you can argue it either way and I haven't seen an official answer from the PDGA on it's legality. It would be an almost impossible rule to enforce, especially since someone can just claim they're unbending the disc after a tree hit to return it to it's original shape.

This is why I said some would argue it's illegal.

Well you do have to tee from the designated tee box, that is in the PDGA rules.

I am just not sold that if everybody is more comfortable throwing backhand from the right side of the tee pole to get around that tree that is 40 feet in front of them, and I like to throw sidearm from the left side of the tee pole then I am not on the tee box. The question came up when we played a course that we were unfamiliar with and the worn out are was a good 8-10 feet away from the pole that marked the tee box, and the reason was quite obviously people were trying to avoid a tree that was 20 feet dead center in front of the right side of the tee pole. That got us to discussing how far away (left or right) of the tee pole can you throw. I am content to conform, though conformity really isn't my strong suit. I was just wondering if there was an official rule, "you must throw within 84" of, but not in front of a pole marking a hole if there is no official tee box marked"...

I am just not sold that if everybody is more comfortable throwing backhand from the right side of the tee pole to get around that tree that is 40 feet in front of them, and I like to throw sidearm from the left side of the tee pole then I am not on the tee box. The question came up when we played a course that we were unfamiliar with and the worn out are was a good 8-10 feet away from the pole that marked the tee box, and the reason was quite obviously people were trying to avoid a tree that was 20 feet dead center in front of the right side of the tee pole. That got us to discussing how far away (left or right) of the tee pole can you throw. I am content to conform, though conformity really isn't my strong suit. I was just wondering if there was an official rule, "you must throw within 84" of, but not in front of a pole marking a hole if there is no official tee box marked"...

Wait, what?

You want to tee from the other side of the sign to gain an advantage?

Wait, what?

You want to tee from the other side of the sign to gain an advantage?

that's what he's asking. to be fair, he said the "worn in" spot was a few feet to the left of the pole. i can see his point about standing to he right of the pole if the "tee" isn't directly next to the pole.

If you tee right next to a pole, your follow through might make you hit it. Teeing a few feet away is ok to prevent that.

no...no...no...It is the same distance. the course that I play has no signs...just poles. Who is to say that the people are throwing from the correct spot? Why the right side vs the left side?

how about this, contact the course designer and ask him which side is the tee box. I would say if there is a clear teeing area and you tee from the other side of the sign, you are not on the tee box and violating the rule of teeing from the tee box.

how about this, contact the course designer and ask him which side is the tee box. I would say if there is a clear teeing area and you tee from the other side of the sign, you are not on the tee box and violating the rule of teeing from the tee box.

:doh:...nice

so...what your saying is...if everybody else throws from a spot then that makes it the official spot? Even if said spot is 12 feet away from the tee sign to avoid an obstacle?

:doh:...nice

so...what your saying is...if everybody else throws from a spot then that makes it the official spot? Even if said spot is 12 feet away from the tee sign to avoid an obstacle?

i think he said to contact the designer ;)

but for now, i'd throw from where everyone else does. even if they're doing so to avoid hitting a tree.

Everyone in your group agree on where to tee from and all throw from there! In a tourny the TD will tell you where to tee at, in a casual round NO BIG DEAL!

Latest posts