• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Question: Lets say I'm putting. There's a branch hanging horizontally across my disc while I'm facing the basket. Can I walk in front of the branch and back up (bending the branch back) until I'm behind my line, then putt? Also, what would happen if the branch cracks or breaks in the process?

Question: Lets say I'm putting. There's a branch hanging horizontally across my disc while I'm facing the basket. Can I walk in front of the branch and back up (bending the branch back) until I'm behind my line, then putt? Also, what would happen if the branch cracks or breaks in the process?

No.

803.05 Obstacles and Relief

A. Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, picnic tables, etc), which is considered part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play. A player must choose the stance which results in the least movement of any obstacle. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_Rules_of_Play_2011.pdf

I've always been advised by some pros that it is all in how you approach the lie and take your stance. i.e. If you have a branch or two lateral to the marker, then you would stand in front of the marker and branch and step backwards, putting the branch(s) behind you.

I've also had people call me on that too. I guess it's one of those "if you can get away with it", but you acutally know better things.

Just curious...why is that? Is it inaccurate? You don't like the layout?

Some of it I find really inaccurate and the layout has a good bit to do with it. No two discs can occupy the same spot no matter how similar they are so it looks like a big jumbled mess to me.

Some funny (to me) examples of inaccuracy:

Aero same speed (and more overstable) than the Dart
Fuse same speed and more overstable than the Comet
Qms being way more overstable than Buzz, Vector, Roc, others.
Skeeter same stability than Vector (they really have the Vector wrong)

can you seal a disc?

I have a white disc that I love, it's easy to spot pretty much anywhere it ends up. Over time it has started to get a little dingy, and no matter how I try to clean it up, it never has gotten as bright as it originally was. Has anyone ever thought of sealing a disc so that it won't be stained over time, is it possible, is there a product out there? If not, is there any special procedure to getting discs clean after a day on the course? I have Pro, Champion, Elite X, ESP and Star plastics.

I have a white disc that I love, it's easy to spot pretty much anywhere it ends up. Over time it has started to get a little dingy, and no matter how I try to clean it up, it never has gotten as bright as it originally was. Has anyone ever thought of sealing a disc so that it won't be stained over time, is it possible, is there a product out there? If not, is there any special procedure to getting discs clean after a day on the course? I have Pro, Champion, Elite X, ESP and Star plastics.
You could wash them, but thats about it. Discs will always get dirty, beat, etc. There is really nothing you can do about it except not throw them.

And anything that adds discernible thickness to the disc is illegal for pdga play. So sealing a disc would likely be a no go.

Question. I picked up a gummy champ roc the other day. Is this a good disc for me(noob)? I also got an ontario roc.

it's hard for us to judge whether it's a good/bad disc for you as we don't know what you throw or how you throw it.....so to avoid all of that....from what i've read rocs will show form flaws pretty well...i tried out a few when i started playing and realised that i like the buzzz more...just my personal preference...go do some field work with it...mids are a good learning tool when trying to perfect your form and become a more solid player....this is my 2c

I have been a fh thrower for a while. I have recently started working on my bh. Love my leopard. Working on midrange too. Thanks for any and all advise. I will try it out and see what works for me. Well I will try most advise not all.

Question. I picked up a gummy champ roc the other day. Is this a good disc for me(noob)? I also got an ontario roc.

You could have done a lot worse. The Ontario Roc was a good pickup. It's the most Comet-like of the Rocs and shows form flaws really well. Learning to shape lines with it will do wonders for your form. The Champ Roc might require some seasoning to be workable. If it's pretty overstable, you might want to just use it sparingly for wind and "must fade" shots and pick up a DX Rancho for stable lines.

What causes a disc to "clover" and what happens to the disc's flight once its clovered? (I've seen photos that look like the flight plate looks like a couple big ripples or water, and never experienced it myself). Are some discs/plastics more prone to it?

What causes a disc to "clover" and what happens to the disc's flight once its clovered? (I've seen photos that look like the flight plate looks like a couple big ripples or water, and never experienced it myself). Are some discs/plastics more prone to it?

Sometimes, a disc can clover when something heavy is set on top of it for an extended period of time. It happened to one of mine during shipping. As far as plastics go, softer plastics are generally more prone to clovering. Mine was a blizzard champion disc. All the bubbles in the plastic weakened it just enough. There may be other ways for discs to clover, but I say just try and take good care of them.

As far as my question goes, does anyone else think the search function on this site sucks horribly. It never finds anything I'm looking for. I've wondered if I'm not using it correctly, but it's a search function! It's pretty simple. You type something in the box, click search, then it does it's job. I'm actually wary of starting new threads because I know someone will post on my thread "use the search function." I do, I swear I do. :\

As far as my question goes, does anyone else think the search function on this site sucks horribly. It never finds anything I'm looking for. I've wondered if I'm not using it correctly, but it's a search function! It's pretty simple. You type something in the box, click search, then it does it's job. I'm actually wary of starting new threads because I know someone will post on my thread "use the search function." I do, I swear I do. :\

Agreed. The search function doesn't work well for me either.

Or just use the built-in Google search:

attachment.php

Attachments

• SearchGoogle.PNG
    SearchGoogle.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 123
I really don't wanna go through 308 pages and look if you answered this or not so here it goes.
You said to noobs on the first page not to throw double digits speed. I have a star vulcan that I found and it has 13 speed like the boss. Why not use it? What should I use instead?

Latest posts