• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

So I was sitting here and I was thinking about it again and temperature actually makes it fairly large difference to the disc itself. I heavy up my putters or use the least broken in ones once the temp goes from 15-18 to 25-30. Warmer it is the more broken in as in softer my disc becomes.

wow, I never played in anything below 45 degrees fahrenheit, my sinuses can't handle it too well. I never knew that.

Ok so question: the blue dot beside my name.. I notice other double eagle members have a similar number of posts but no dot. What is it for?

My guess is it's some kind of "nice" meter.

Ok so question: the blue dot beside my name.. I notice other double eagle members have a similar number of posts but no dot. What is it for?

My guess is it's some kind of "nice" meter.

Blue = offline

Green = Online

Red = is he or isn't he online? Ooh, mysterious!

Which leads me to another question, I never Log Out of this site, don't see a reason to. The button at the top is always LOG OUT, never LOG IN. Which leads me to believe I am logged in.

Yet, when I go to post a reply (like this one), look at most pictures and "Nice" a posting, I have to Log In. What's up with that?

Which leads me to another question, I never Log Out of this site, don't see a reason to. The button at the top is always LOG OUT, never LOG IN. Which leads me to believe I am logged in.

Yet, when I go to post a reply (like this one), look at most pictures and "Nice" a posting, I have to Log In. What's up with that?

Your logged into the site, but not the forum.

Your logged into the site, but not the forum.

Yup. The site itself(reviews, course pages, etc) and the forums have a separate logins. Mine is set up the same. I have the site on auto login but the forums are set to make me login when I want to post.

Dumb Question of the Day: How do you increase power?

I am now throwing straight most of the time, so I want to put a little more "Oomph" behind my throws. I go back and watch Danny's Physics of Flight videos on YouTube and the similar ones, I watch some of the tournament coverage, and I try to pick out what I'm doing wrong. Then I go to the course and throw my whole bag towards the 1st basket (one at a time) to see how far I can go, then I go get them and throw them back. Each time I go I'm getting a little bit further. Most throws are between 150' and 200' per the UDisc app.

Is my approach correct? I'm not angry that I haven't made it to 400' feet yet - I'm pleased that I'm progressing at all. Slow and steady wins the race, and all that. But I'm wondering, is there a better approach to increasing distance? I don't know that I'm building any new muscles doing this, but muscle memory seems to be improving. I think that I could do better at rotating my shoulders and shifting my weight, and that's where the additional speed/distance will come from if I had to guess. But instead of purely guessing, I thought I'd throw it out here and see if y'all had any tips.

Well step one, throw discs appropriate for the distance, Comet jumps to mind. It doesn't hurt to sling your whole bag out but be mindful of the path you put your driver on (flat, nose down etc) rather then where it ends up...

Step two.. Work on using your arm as the whip and activate/ time it with your body motion. Back of your shoulder pointing at the basket so you can get a full arm motion. Bring the disc in tight when you approach the hit, which is generally at about your nipples. Grab the disc on the outside edge relative to your body, that helps load your wrist. You need to load your whole body... wrist, arm, shoulder, hips, legs, and until them at the right time.

Leave yourself a step behind the teepad when you finish for a follow thru, keep that power moving forward, don't jam yourself at the end of your throw.

A lot of people throw too soon in relation to your body.. Step, step, legwork, finish on your point foot.. As you Shift your weight towards point foot start bringing your arm forwards to throw, the release is a second after you plant.

I am now throwing straight most of the time, so I want to put a little more "Oomph" behind my throws. I go back and watch Danny's Physics of Flight videos on YouTube and the similar ones, I watch some of the tournament coverage, and I try to pick out what I'm doing wrong. Then I go to the course and throw my whole bag towards the 1st basket (one at a time) to see how far I can go, then I go get them and throw them back. Each time I go I'm getting a little bit further. Most throws are between 150' and 200' per the UDisc app.

Is my approach correct? I'm not angry that I haven't made it to 400' feet yet - I'm pleased that I'm progressing at all. Slow and steady wins the race, and all that. But I'm wondering, is there a better approach to increasing distance? I don't know that I'm building any new muscles doing this, but muscle memory seems to be improving. I think that I could do better at rotating my shoulders and shifting my weight, and that's where the additional speed/distance will come from if I had to guess. But instead of purely guessing, I thought I'd throw it out here and see if y'all had any tips.

I'm working on the same thing. I would say mix in some field practice, and if possible, play catch with someone. At least for me, it's easier for me to focus on my form if I'm throwing in a field as opposed to on a course.

Well step one, throw discs appropriate for the distance, Comet jumps to mind. It doesn't hurt to sling your whole bag out but be mindful of the path you put your driver on (flat, nose down etc) rather then where it ends up...

I have pretty much pulled my drivers from my bag - I now have 3 molds of Comet, plus a Core, Stingray, Mamba, Hawk, and a couple of others. I'll also do the same with my putters. I have also pulled my Buzzz, Bryce, Compass, and a few others because they hyzer So Bad. They don't fly a long way and hyzer, they immediately shank like a 6 year old trying to manhandle a frisbee for the first time. No idea why I can't get those to go straight, so I've pulled them until my technique is better.

Still working on the finer points of my form which you outlined - I appreciate that. I will continue to look at this.

Leave yourself a step behind the teepad when you finish for a follow thru, keep that power moving forward, don't jam yourself at the end of your throw.

This is where I don't yet feel natural. I have tried to intentionally keep myself spinning at the end of my release, but the disc goes crazy. Had a lot of grip lock errors initially, and I read (here, I think), that grip lock shots off to the right indicated rounding and that the disc wasn't going in a straight line. I think I've mostly corrected that, but it has lent itself to me not really spinning at the end. Jamming myself is probably a close description.

Thank you for the pointers - I will give this a try.

I believe you are trying to improve the wrong thing. Most would tell you to work on form and smoothness, with those your distance will increase. After that you could start trying to add more power. Don't take my word for it though. Head over to the Technique Sub and post there. Sidewinder and the others there will help. You'll probably want to video your form for specific feedback. The easiest way to do that is upload to Youtube and link your video in your post. Good luck.

I believe you are trying to improve the wrong thing. Most would tell you to work on form and smoothness, with those your distance will increase. After that you could start trying to add more power. Don't take my word for it though. Head over to the Technique Sub and post there. Sidewinder and the others there will help. You'll probably want to video your form for specific feedback. The easiest way to do that is upload to Youtube and link your video in your post. Good luck.

Gotcha - will do. I'm definitely still working on form and smoothness! Haven't gotten brave enough to put anything on Youtube, but that's probably the next step. Thanks for the feedback.

Gotcha - will do. I'm definitely still working on form and smoothness! Haven't gotten brave enough to put anything on Youtube, but that's probably the next step. Thanks for the feedback.

You can make the video private to only those with the link. It's in the options when you go to upload the vid. That's what I do with my crappy form.

I am now throwing straight most of the time, so I want to put a little more "Oomph" behind my throws.

One of the most important things when I was figuring out my form is getting the disc into the "power pocket". After the reachback, when the disc is passing in front of your chest/upper torso, make sure the disc gets in close and your arm forms a right angle before it extends out. Watch McBeth and you'll see what I mean.
However, if you pull the disc around and outwards instead of tucking it in close into the pocket (some call it "rounding")that kills your power.

Also footwork plays a big factor. Pay attention to your brace, your leg you plant with.

Also footwork plays a big factor. Pay attention to your brace, your leg you plant with.

Stumbled on a tournament at a local course this weekend, and ran into a vendor who happens to be the guy that designed my home course. Had bought some used discs from him before, so he let us try out some this time as well. He watched me throw and asked if I minded some constructive criticism. Obviously I told him that would be great.

He said that I was going fast-to-slow in my throw, almost as if I were trying to protect it from flying off at the end. I can tell that's what I do, even though it's not what my intention is when I start. He suggested trying to go slow-to fast in my mind, so that the disc needs to rip out due to force at the end. That makes sense. Tried it with a bag of putters yesterday in a field... getting closer to 200' each time I practice!