• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Norman, Oklahoma

wake_rider

Birdie Member
Well, I'm beginning to get into disc far deeper than any of my normal group of friends. It seems almost impossible to find someone to play more often than once every-other-week or so, so I'm putting out a call to all of you other players in the area who would like to play a few rounds in the Norman/Noble/Moore area (btw, heard that the new Moore course is really nice. Looking forward to trying that one out).

I normally play in the weekday after to hit up the course once or twice a week, hollar at me.I play afternoons after I get off work (5ish), and during the weekends I can normally get a round in just about whenever on Sunday and Monday (I work Tues-Sat, and am back in school full-time beginning fall semester).

When I go play, I'm there to play a good round then get back to the grind of responsibility, as my schedule really doesn't allow me to take a ton of time to play slow rounds (well, wife and child might have something to do with that :p).

If you're in the area and are into discing more than chucking and have a desire to play a few times a week, hit me up.

I'll be visiting Norman in late Oct, can you show me the best course(s) in the area?

I'll be visiting Norman in late Oct, can you show me the best course(s) in the area?

all the courses around norman are the sh*t, all within 10-15min:

griffin- one of my favorite courses ive played, i prefer the original tees (whites) technical, really tough- 2 blocks from lyons
lyons- steady ed course, modified beautifully, playing this is a treat
noble- awesome course, technical and thick, requires your best game

i moved out of oklahoma right before the moore course was installed, i hear its a great course also, really close to 19th hole disc golf shop

all the courses around norman are the sh*t, all within 10-15min:

griffin- one of my favorite courses ive played, i prefer the original tees (whites) technical, really tough- 2 blocks from lyons
lyons- steady ed course, modified beautifully, playing this is a treat
noble- awesome course, technical and thick, requires your best game

i moved out of oklahoma right before the moore course was installed, i hear its a great course also, really close to 19th hole disc golf shop

Dead on! The only problem with Sparky's 19th Hole Disc Golf Shop is that IT'S NEVER OPEN. NEVER. I've been by that place more than a handful of times, during its posted open hours btw, and not a single time has there been a single bit of life inside. Instead, I was peering through the glass door wishing like a kid on Christmas that I could get inside and touch some sweet plastic. Looked like a great selection, but I'd like to get inside and find out for sure.

By the way, NE Lions is the oldest course in Oklahoma, said to have been built in 1972. It's not the most difficult, or the longest, but it's a way cool course with great character.

Both Lions and Griffin are within 1/2 mile from each other, and my house almost splits the two perfectly. Great for me, annoying for my wife. :D

Dead on! The only problem with Sparky's 19th Hole Disc Golf Shop is that IT'S NEVER OPEN. NEVER. I've been by that place more than a handful of times, during its posted open hours btw, and not a single time has there been a single bit of life inside. Instead, I was peering through the glass door wishing like a kid on Christmas that I could get inside and touch some sweet plastic. Looked like a great selection, but I'd like to get inside and find out for sure.

awwh no bueno! ive been there several times early spring, they allowed smoking cigs in the shop. though im not a smoker thats pretty badass. i warmed up putting before my rounds, sparky had some wicked rare discs we were googoo over. man, i hope everything is going well.

awwh no bueno! ive been there several times early spring, they allowed smoking cigs in the shop. though im not a smoker thats pretty badass. i warmed up putting before my rounds, sparky had some wicked rare discs we were googoo over. man, i hope everything is going well.

I think he has been crazy busy with getting the Moore course up and running. Last I heard, he was just a few holes away from wrapping it up. They're waiting on the city to finish the pond so they can finish the holes and, in particular, #17 with the saaaweeeet island basket :thmbup:.

Sadly, he had a minor heat stroke and cardiac issue a few weeks ago that put him in the hospital for a few days. He was investing far too much time on building the course and not watching the Oklahoma heat and his own hydration, as I understand. Never a good combination. That being said, I was trying to hit up the store far before said incident, so I can only assume that he was too tied up with the build to be able to man the shop.

Back to the OP, you're in for really good discing here in Oklahoma. Bring your wind game! It's always prevalent this area of the map....

I'd skip out on the Moore course. It is very cramped and extremely dangerous. If the designer hadn't had to shoehorn 18 holes onto the property, he might have been able to find a decent nine hole layout. But as it plays now it seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. It was so bad that I walked off the course without finishing my round, which was the first time I've done that in 7+ years of playing.

Sparky has been facing a lot in his personal life and some serious health issues....don't want to say much more about that. I hope things will improve and the shop will reopen - it had such a great start and we couldn't ask for a better disc supplier and staff. We're lucky to have a lot of really good courses here. Griffin and Mitch are my local favorites. I haven't played Noble since they poured the first few pads and it was pretty rough then...looks like it'll be a great course with some traffic, if it's not already that way.

GT Chris...not to dog you but that's the first negative comment I've heard from anyone about the new Moore course. You aren't talking about the old baptist school course are you? That's only 9 holes. I haven't been to the new one but thus far people seem pretty excited about the layout. Is it really that bad?

It was in Moore, listed on here as the Little River DGC. You can decide for yourself on the course, I was just struck by what I perceived as a very unsafe design.

For reference, I also played Dolese, Griffin, and Wild Horse. I'd rate those about a 3.5, 4, and 3 respectively. As played, I'd probably give Little River a 1 or 1.5.

We're lucky to have a lot of really good courses here. Griffin and Mitch are my local favorites. I haven't played Noble since they poured the first few pads and it was pretty rough then...looks like it'll be a great course with some traffic, if it's not already that way.

Noble now has legit pads at every hole, and is getting worn in quite nicely. The rough is still a nightmare, but that rough plays a major role in what makes that course so good.

I dig Mitch Park, but it's pretty far North for me to make there that often. It's probably a 3 to 4 times a year place for me.

It was in Moore, listed on here as the Little River DGC. You can decide for yourself on the course, I was just struck by what I perceived as a very unsafe design.

For reference, I also played Dolese, Griffin, and Wild Horse. I'd rate those about a 3.5, 4, and 3 respectively. As played, I'd probably give Little River a 1 or 1.5.

Man, you were 2 blocks away from Lions whenever you played Griffin. You should have definitely hit that course up since you were so close. Very cool course. That just leaves it for next time!

Sparky here.... The above posts have been somewhat correct... I have been dealing with what my dr's have referred to pancreatic cancer in early stages.... I have confirmed pancreatitis with several tumors in my abdomen... I had a heat stroke and mild heart attack while pouring the pads on 11 of these holes... My shop being closed is directly related to my health and the fact that I have been working on finishing the course.... I am sorry to those that have been wanting in the shop and I hope you understand.... As to the comment from GT Chris... I can only assume that you were one of the 2 golfers from Georgia Tech that stopped to play after the Texas tournament... I understand you walking off the course as there were no maps yet and only 11 holes were in.... The front 9 is a little more open, but this is designed to be a tight course.... This is not an old ball golf course that was taken over and it is not a wide open park either.... This is an extremely tight and technical course that doesn't always benefit the play that wants to step up with a boss, destroyer or nuke and grip it and rip it.... This is also a brand new course and will be continued to be groomed... I'm sorry you thought the course was unsafe... I also have not heard a single negative comment about the course except this one... And I have enough haters here that would gladly tell me if they thought it wasn't up to par, but the funny thing is they keep coming back to play it... I can only hope you come back and play it when it's 100% finished... But as far as a lawsuit waiting to happen? It's posted to play at your own risk and that you are entering a disc golf course so watch out for flying discs... Can't think of any disc golfers being sued over hitting someone with a disc... Not saying it hasn't happened, but I have never heard of it.... Don't think Will sued the cat that split his head open earlier this year...

To all my supporters... Thank you for your patience and I hope to be well enough to get back into the shop soon... We will continue to work on Little River improving those tight lines that everyone loves... So excited to be bringing hole #7 to you guys ASAP.... Oklahoma city's own island shot.... Way overdue folks.... Thanks again and keep flinging those discs...

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Moore course from players up here in OKC. I haven't made it down there yet myself ....just too damn hot!

Hang in there Sparky. I've been meaning to get over to your shop ever since someone threw me one of your minis at Dolese last winter. You got a PH# so I know your open before I drive down?

Yeah, 405-863-8746.... That's my cell number so just leave a message if I don't answer...

Yeah, 405-863-8746.... That's my cell number so just leave a message if I don't answer...

Nice. I've been wanting to check your place out. I'll definitely hollar before heading that direction in order to make sure you're around the shop.

Thank you for clearing up the confusion, and my best regards to your improving health. And please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on here if you guys need help around the course. My schedule is rather tight, but I'd be more than happy to set aside a few good chunks of time to help out.

Take care of yourself, Sparky.

By the way, NE Lions is the oldest course in Oklahoma, said to have been built in 1972. :D
N.E. Lions was my 200th played course. Oldest in OK I can believe. Built in 1972 is simply wrong, considering the oldest course in the world didn't come along until 1975.

According to what's on this site, NE Lions was established in 1977 and Will Rogers in 1979. I'd been thinking that Will was the oldest. At any rate it's neat to have such a long history of disc golf here. I never heard about it until about 1994 and didn't play until 2001. It's neat to see some of the old Tulsa and Okc tourney discs from the 80s pop up from time to time.

I'd be down to throw a round anytime you need a warm body. I'm an after-work round guy that lives and works on the south side of OKC/Moore. Haven't played the new course in Moore and likely won't ever play the course in Noble (severe poison ivy allergy) but I'm willing to get humiliated at Griffin or enjoy Lyons. Hell, you can probably catch me practicing upshots and putts at Hillsdale a couple of times a week most of the year!

Latest posts