• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Calais UnChained...

InDaWoodsDiscN419

Par Member
North Calais DGC, Vermont. I would love to see any photos or videos of this event from Aug. 31st 2018, Sounds Epic!

With the PDGA Pro Worlds starting 2 days later, Paul wanted to cut the chains off of all 18 baskets and bring the locals and Touring Pros a fun new format! The pole will be cut (leaving a cage with a flag pole) and players will be tested on the green. When on the green players will pull the flag out just like in ball golf. It's something Paul has wanted to do for a long time and now he is generously throwing in $500 of added cash and opening up this beautiful course for the day! All entry fee money will go to payouts along with the added $500, so there will be some cash to be had if you think you can conquer North Calais UnChained!

Cale Leiviska won shooting -4 down 61 (par is 65!)

Courtesy of Paul Olander:

Oh, that crazy Ole! The North Calais Unchained Challenge is his vision of the future of professional disc golf. As perusal of 20+ years of course design threads will tell you, putting in DG has long been viewed as "too easy"(!) Course designers accept the concept of one putt per hole in setting pars as a consequence of pro-level putting skills on what are recreational targets(!) There are proposals to reduce the number of chains, the diameter of the chain cylinder, etc., but to Ole the solution is simple: "take off them training wheels"!

Unchaining the baskets will certainly require a major change in many players' putting styles. Gone will be the chain-smashing power putts; there won't be any chains to smash. It will require far more finesse both on the greens and for the approach shots. And as anyone who has played NC knows, Ole admires power but respects finesse as the true measure of DG skill. This event is designed to test the hypothesis that unchained baskets will be more challenging, put more importance on finesse and will produce more spread on some holes. Along the way I hope that players will find the increased challenge rewarding, and that if the sport accepts such a change it would benefit in the long-term by leaving the "putting is too easy" disparagements behind.

The SSA for this course in the 2009 GMO NT event was 61.5, against the NC par at that time of 62. In the last 9 years we've changed six holes, added some distance (about 460 feet) and raised the par to 65. I'm guessing the SSA of this layout, with chained baskets, would be around 63. As a further enticement to attend the North Calais Unchained Challenge, for any players not cashing but throwing a 62 or better, I'll pay your $20 entry.

From GMDGC forum...

So where's the scoring data comparing rounds with chains and without chains?

Courtesy of Paul Olander:

Congratulations to the players who took home the prizes. That was a great round Cale put together, 4-down, the new course record, with or without chains, and six better than second place Noah Meintsma at 67. Matt Bell and Joel Freeman tied for third at 68, and Kevin Jones, despite huge issues putting at these baskets early on, "got it" in time to smoke the back 9 and nip into 5th at 69, over Charlie Goodpasture at 70 and Matt Dollar at 73. We'll have full results up, though understandably, after Worlds.

About 3/4 of the field kept track of their "putts within 10 meters" and I'm poring over the information now. But as any scientist knows, it's difficult and dangerous (and relatively worthless) to draw conclusions from an experiment with a small sample size, special boundary conditions and no control. It may be found that "inside 10 m" isn't a valuable metric, but there are some interesting trends and I'll try to follow-up with those.

I'd also like to get as much feedback from the players as possible. If you folks could post a few lines about your impressions of the targets and their impact on your game, that would be more valuable than data-crunching at this point.

There's already been talk about a 2019 "NC Unchained" to take place during the World Doubles next year. More lead time, bigger field, two rounds, first one chained, second round unchained. What new twists will Ole scheme up? Baskets at four feet? Ten feet? Rim extensions to close down the cylinder? See you next year!

None of the pros have chained vs. unchained scores (just unchained) but I will see who I can figure out played in the tournament at the course in August with chains and also at this unchained event. I know I was one of those people: shot a 66 and 81 with chains for an average of 73.5 and a 73 without chains. d'oh?

Here is a video of Cale putting on hole 18! the video does NOT do that death putt justice. If cale does anything other than make the putt the likelihood that he is rolling about 150ft down a hill is about 100%. I have a couple pics I'll post with any score update, but no videos other than this one that I know of. Fairly casual early morning event with a cooler full of focal banger

Since this is a discussion forum for disc golf, I would like to weigh in with support for this experiment. Even though I've pretty much quit playing competitive disc golf, I'd make an effort to play in an unchained tournament if I saw one in my area.

Playing targets that are basically tossing the discs into a bucket would certainly be a major change to our game. Even though I would miss the sound of crashing chains, I feel it would improve the game overall.

Since this is a discussion forum for disc golf, I would like to weigh in with support for this experiment. Even though I've pretty much quit playing competitive disc golf, I'd make an effort to play in an unchained tournament if I saw one in my area.

Playing targets that are basically tossing the discs into a bucket would certainly be a major change to our game. Even though I would miss the sound of crashing chains, I feel it would improve the game overall.

Shrug......don't see how this would improve anything. Those that practiced and got good at putting the disc into a chainless basket would excel. Those that are good at putting now, would be the same guy/gals that would get good at putting at a new target. All the consternation about bounce outs would simply be louder, due to the bounce outs of the chainless. Agree that it might be fun to give it a try, though.

Sounds interesting, would love to see more video from that event! NC is easy top 10 course for me chained or unchained, and I love Paul and his maple syrup! :thmbup:

Here's footage of me on hole 5 and 18 from two years ago, and you get the reverse putting angle, death putt for sure! :eek:

Yeah. Good stuff. Just FYI ...... Thats hole # 4 at North Calais. Nice 5 btw. And a stellar drive on 18 too. Maybe the best I've seen. I play there often.

Yeah. Good stuff. Just FYI ...... Thats hole # 4 at North Calais. Nice 5 btw. And a stellar drive on 18 too. Maybe the best I've seen. I play there often.
Lol, says 4 right there on the tee, felt like I already played 4 holes.

Drove about 30' too far on 18 for ideal landing zone right on short tee pad/ridge which is much better angle and footing. 1st round I landed right on the short pad and hit about the same putt Cale did and got the 3.

I agree. throwing from the red tee is the ideal landing spot. Good to have such problems. That putt I saw Cale make is not one I'd enjoy facing again. 18 is a real nice 3 for sure. Not sure I've done it. Sidewinder I'm not sure I recognize you. Where are you from?

I agree. throwing from the red tee is the ideal landing spot. Good to have such problems. That putt I saw Cale make is not one I'd enjoy facing again. 18 is a real nice 3 for sure. Not sure I've done it. Sidewinder I'm not sure I recognize you. Where are you from?
This was 2 years ago, on a road trip, I live in MD.