• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

The Redesign of Cornelius Rd park in Mooresville is almost complete. It's currently playable but still needs signage and tees. Very different from the original course also known as "the bridges."

Par 54 reedy creek, Johnson st. difficulty course.

Eastway park in Charlotte should be returning in the next year or so and RL smith probably the year after.

Badin Inn in Badin N.C.(near Albemarle). should have a course soon as well on part of the old golf course.

I've also heard a course is going in in Farmington NC, near Mocksville, south of Winston.

I've heard rumor of another course in west Gaston county and north Iredell county near Statesville but those could just be rumor.

BT43 - Is this the new course near Mocksville you mentioned above?

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=11984 Davie DGC.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but George Sappenfield DGC opened a few months ago, less than 15 miles from Davie:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=11810

"Designed by, and named in honor of, George Sappenfield, member of the Disc Golf Hall of Fame (class of 2018), PDGA #376."

Looks like a nice 1-2 punch of new courses just west of the Triad, south of Yadkinville.
:thmbup::thmbup:

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but George Sappenfield DGC opened a few months ago, less than 15 miles from Davie:

"Designed by, and named in honor of, George Sappenfield, member of the Disc Golf Hall of Fame (class of 2018), PDGA #376."

Looks like a nice 1-2 punch of new courses just west of the Triad, south of Yadkinville.

Haven't played the Farmington course, but have played the Sappenfield course west of Yadkinville. It's relatively short and mostly open, but a fun use of time for us older players or beginners. There is enough elevation change and land available that with longer tees added over time with close attention to topographic features it could actually be a lot of fun for the knuckle dragging neanderthals out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornelius Road Park is the redesign of the old, RIP'ed Bridges course. It's 10 minutes from Stumpy Creek.

Someone convince me to play Stumpy Creek, please.

As a Charlotte resident, there are only two courses I've yet to play in the area - Stumpy and Frank Liske. Both have been sort of downplayed by friends of mine as being so-so or just not quite up to the level of so many others we frequent...I don't often let others dictate where I play, but I guess there were enough cons to negate the pros, and I've just never made the move either way.
I'm not a fan of wide-open bomber courses - so Liske will probably remain on the back burner for now.

But I hear Stumpy is all elevation and all woods. Which sounds nice to me. However, since I've also heard it's the kind of course you might leave thinking, "Never again," I've stayed away.

Never mind. I should probably go read some reviews...(I sometimes forget to do that. :doh:)

Someone convince me to play Stumpy Creek, please.

As a Charlotte resident, there are only two courses I've yet to play in the area - Stumpy and Frank Liske. Both have been sort of downplayed by friends of mine as being so-so or just not quite up to the level of so many others we frequent...I don't often let others dictate where I play, but I guess there were enough cons to negate the pros, and I've just never made the move either way.
I'm not a fan of wide-open bomber courses - so Liske will probably remain on the back burner for now.

But I hear Stumpy is all elevation and all woods. Which sounds nice to me. However, since I've also heard it's the kind of course you might leave thinking, "Never again," I've stayed away.

Never mind. I should probably go read some reviews...(I sometimes forget to do that. :doh:)

Stumpy gets ignored because it's not a CDGC-run course. As such, there aren't any league events there, which in turn means less discussion about it on the FB page, less play from locals, etc. It's a notch below Nevin and Renny. It's every bit as challenging as Bradford, Hornets Nest, and Elon Angry.

The fact you haven't played it shows how much Charlotte-area disc golf is based upon the whats in the CDGC. Play Stumpy. Play the best courses in Gaston, York, Catawba, Union, and Stanley Counties. After that, take day trips to play the best courses in the SC Upstate, the mountains, the Triad, the Triangle, and Augusta GA. You'll see there are plenty of outstanding courses within 2-3 hours of Charlotte..

Stumpy gets ignored because it's not a CDGC-run course. As such, there aren't any league events there, which in turn means less discussion about it on the FB page, less play from locals, etc. It's a notch below Nevin and Renny. It's every bit as challenging as Bradford, Hornets Nest, and Elon Angry.

The fact you haven't played it shows how much Charlotte-area disc golf is based upon the whats in the CDGC. Play Stumpy. Play the best courses in Gaston, York, Catawba, Union, and Stanley Counties. After that, take day trips to play the best courses in the SC Upstate, the mountains, the Triad, the Triangle, and Augusta GA. You'll see there are plenty of outstanding courses within 2-3 hours of Charlotte..

Thank you, Craig. I think you may be making an assumption or two.

I do play all over the place, and have been to plenty of non-Charlotte courses. I consider everything from Canaan, Winthrop and York MS to City Lake and Fox Chase/Den/Tail (I can never remember!), out to Gastonia and up to Lake Norman - all of these are "Charlotte area" to me. We make lots of trips to places like Yadkin Co. and N. Wilkesboro, down to Chester and Columbia, and Pinehurst...Georgia a few times...

What I'm getting at is that, while I'm a CDGC member, that group has very little to do with where I play. I don't use Facebook or Twitter. I'm a word-of-mouth guy, and most of the word I've heard is that Stumpy is "not that fun."

However, I read your review, and a few others; I'll be playing there this weekend. I appreciate your work, and your recommendation. But I'm not some club-based golf-snob, or whatever you might be thinking about how I choose which courses to play. There are more subtle machinations at work. :D

Thank you, Craig. I think you may be making an assumption or two.

I do play all over the place, and have been to plenty of non-Charlotte courses. I consider everything from Canaan, Winthrop and York MS to City Lake and Fox Chase/Den/Tail (I can never remember!), out to Gastonia and up to Lake Norman - all of these are "Charlotte area" to me. We make lots of trips to places like Yadkin Co. and N. Wilkesboro, down to Chester and Columbia, and Pinehurst...Georgia a few times...

What I'm getting at is that, while I'm a CDGC member, that group has very little to do with where I play. I don't use Facebook or Twitter. I'm a word-of-mouth guy, and most of the word I've heard is that Stumpy is "not that fun."

However, I read your review, and a few others; I'll be playing there this weekend. I appreciate your work, and your recommendation. But I'm not some club-based golf-snob, or whatever you might be thinking about how I choose which courses to play. There are more subtle machinations at work. :D

You're spot on. There are some in Charlotte who enjoy our outstanding selection of course so much, they don't travel anywhere. Notice the amount of posts on the FB page where people are asking about other courses in the region, aka, 'has anyone ever played Fox Chase? I heard it was good.' type of posts.

Man, as soon as I hear someone say they've never been to Fox Chase or City Lake (or Goose Landing, for that matter), my immediate response is, "That's where we're going on Sunday, then."

Nothing better than taking a Charlottean someplace like that, and just watching them turn in circles with wide eyes every 10 minutes or so...

Stumpy is a great course.

I would rank it below Nevin, Hornets Dry Creek and Renny, but it might be my fifth favorite in the area.

That's saying something, for sure. You guys have got me feeling pretty stupid for not having played there yet.

But...this weekend, that will all be rectified.

Thanks again to both of you.

That's saying something, for sure. You guys have got me feeling pretty stupid for not having played there yet.

But...this weekend, that will all be rectified.

Thanks again to both of you.

Have fun. Hope it's not not muddy. Let us know what you think about the course.

And, check out Cornelius Road Park 10 minutes down the road. It's a Pat Bowles (bravethrower) design.

Haven't played the Farmington course........

Gonna try to get to Farmington Saturday. Getting some decent feedback from folks with widely varying games and it's mostly positive. Coupla big air holes then a lot of tight line woods holes.

Yep that was the one.

Played it yesterday!

Didn't make it to Farmington until today. Wow! Gonna end up spending a lot of time out there, a couple of big boomers and a lot of technical woods golf. Roc and Roll!!!

I went south today, UNC Pembroke, the two in Laurinburg and Hinson Lake in The Rock.

I liked Hinson Lake the best of these. Mostly short, wooded holes, but elevation change on just about every hole and some interesting angles to throw. The tee pads are very nice, 4X4 borders around the brick pads.

Apologies if this one has already been mentioned, but it's new to me. Anyone played Hardaway Point (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/mobile/course.php?id=11989)? The description makes it sound like a new destination course. Abundance of wealth there already with Fox Chase and City Lake Park!

I walked it with Bryon while it was being designed. It's on about 5 holes of the original Badin Inn Golf Club and some of the surrounding woods. Mostly Open with lot's of OB and a ton of elevation change. The few wooded holes have kind of a Sugaree feel with lots of rock formations.

There is a restaurant on site and a bar. They do not have carts or anything so it is a bit of a hike.

There are several 400+ ft holes where I threw a roc and it reached the basket. Very pretty property!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts