• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

For whatever it's worth, when I drive from the South side of CLT to play golf up that way, I always choose Hornet's Nest over Nevin. They're equidistant from the same exit off I-77, pretty much, but for me, HN is just a prettier place to hang out, and the golf is superb. It's equally great at Nevin, but...well, it's just tougher.

Put another way, I always feel more beat-down after finishing Nevin, whereas at Nest, I never do. No matter how I played. Hornet's Nest is more "forgiving," for lack of a better term.

aredoubles, Tripper, kenanflagler01 - or anyone else available - it will be interesting to hear how the 18 hole layout plays. I PMed with the Park employee responsible for the layout and they sounded proud of it. Please and thank you! :)

I played Forest Ridge last Saturday with my buddies and we all were duly impressed. Based on the amount of effort that has gone into the tee pads, it seems like they have the permanent layout already set.

Fun NC woods golf.

I have played 114 public and 12 private courses in NC. So I guess I have you beat by a few.
Yeah, your 126 beats the 96 that I had played as of Sept 2008. I've played a couple more NC courses since then, though.

I haven't played Nevin, but loved Hornets Nest.
With all of the courses you've played I'm surprised that you haven't played Nevin yet. I'd call it a "Must Play" for Charlotte.

Also, Stan has now lengthened Dry Creek in Monroe to over 9000 ft, so that is now one of the longest courses in NC and thus will have a high SSA. It is well worth playing.

Since 1999 I've been on a quest to play every course in North Carolina. The goal is always ephemeral since new courses are always being put in, but I first completed NC in Jan 2005. It's nostalgic to look back on, though, since that was before DGCR and looong before Udisc. (I wonder how old Matt Krueger of Udisc was in 2005?) The only way to find courses was in the PDGA Course Directory and word of mouth. When I completed playing NC in 2005 there were less than 99 public and private courses, so it's funny how much easier it was to play them all back then. In addition, there weren't courses in the far west and east parts of NC so it didn't require as much driving back then.

Just finished up my Charlotte area trip. Didn't have time to hit up all of the "must play" courses but did get to play Hornets Nest, Bradford, and Reedy Creek along with a handful of smaller, less popular courses in the area.

I do have to say that most of the courses all had kind of a similar vibe and feel. You know, straight wooded tunnel shot kind of uphill or downhill, tight wooded fairway finishing right or left, etc.

Some had better or worse signage. Some flowed well on the property. Some not so much. But typically all of the holes kind of felt similar and required similar shots for the most part.

Hornets Nest had a slightly different vibe because of a greater number of open or less woodsy holes which I think makes it popular with the locals who probably enjoy throwing a few shots on a course where you don't have to lace a super tight fairway.

With all of the courses you've played I'm surprised that you haven't played Nevin yet. I'd call it a "Must Play" for Charlotte.

Also, Stan has now lengthened Dry Creek in Monroe to over 9000 ft, so that is now one of the longest courses in NC and thus will have a high SSA. It is well worth playing.

The day I played Hornet's, I actually drove into Nevin, but of course you can't see much from the parking lot.

I got most of my CLT courses when my son was at UNCC. He transferred to UNC Chapel Hill after his freshman year, and my wife, our daughter and myself were all bummed, me for obvious reasons. But he did move closer to us in the Triangle.

Now, my wife and I are doing some travelling, so its all pretty mute. I've only got 4 NC courses this year, and will probably only get 1 or 2 more by the end of the year.

Yeah, your 126 beats the 96 that I had played as of Sept 2008. I've played a couple more NC courses since then, though.

I'm not very good at internetting. Didn't see original post date. I thought it really odd that I'd have more than you. I haven't really bagged in a few years since my knee got janky.

Dry creek was always one of my favorite CLT courses. You know, back in the day before it wanted to destroy my soul with length.

Dry Creek is easily hands down the most underrated and underused course in NC. That place is an absolute gem.

Dry Creek is easily hands down the most underrated and underused course in NC. That place is an absolute gem.

As you know, not falling under the CDGC umbrella is a big factor why. Same thing happens to Camp Canaan. It's like if a sporting event isn't on ESPN, a lot of people don't know it's happening.

dry creek was a bit too much on the open side for my liking

still had balance tho (even if my personal preference is tightly wooded/fairway trees)

had a few bees chasing me at times too not sure if that is the normal

dry creek was a bit too much on the open side for my liking

still had balance tho (even if my personal preference is tightly wooded/fairway trees)

had a few bees chasing me at times too not sure if that is the normal

I haven't played there in a few years but the bees did love to chase folks then too.

Are you guys sure they're bees and not hornets?

I mean they named their NBA team the Hornets and one of the more popular courses is called Hornets Nest.

Are you guys sure they're bees and not hornets?

I mean they named their NBA team the Hornets and one of the more popular courses is called Hornets Nest.

Last summer I suddenly developed an allergy to yellow jackets. I'd been stung many times before, but twice in a row I had an allergic reaction, and my Dr. suggested I see an allergist. I did that, got tested, and came back positive to yellow jackets. So... I did some research and I learned that yellow jackets and hornets are not bees at all, they're wasps. I've always thought they were all (along with honey bees, bumble bees) some type of bee, but now I know that most actual bees are mostly non-aggressive, and the real a-holes are the wasps.

Going to Wilmington to see family in a few weeks. Hopefully decent weather. Looks like atleast one highly rated course in the area, maybe 5 total in the immediate vicinity.

Any recommendations? I'm not sure I can get away more than once or twice during this trip, so two best options?

Going to Wilmington to see family in a few weeks. Hopefully decent weather. Looks like atleast one highly rated course in the area, maybe 5 total in the immediate vicinity.

Any recommendations? I'm not sure I can get away more than once or twice during this trip, so two best options?

Castle Hayne is probably the most highly regarded. Joe Eakes is a fun loop as well.