• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] NOVA Vs Dart

Ummmm the Atom and Proxy are really good if you don't have to thrown Innova.

Swan 2 is pretty sweet also.

Would definitely have to go with dart. I started out with aviar in the beginner set, and dart was the first disc I bought outside of that set. I loved it and now I use dart for putts, approaches and drives. I have a gstar dart that I bought the day it was released and have hit 4 aces with it.
I had a friend that had nova and I used it a bit during a round and like others have said, it was definitely deeper and touchy.

Dart but avoid the most recent R-Pro models, it is so off in latest runs some are floppy others are just rubbery at least the one I tried in the store. Nova is big an brick like.

Nova x 10

1) Hits and sits; home course Mt Taylor has a lot of tilted circle ones. Nova = no rollaways; it's the deep rim of a softer energy absorbing plastic
2) upon returning to disc golf after a 7 year absence I saw a Paul McBeth interview where he said it was the ideal disc to learn a back hand throw; he was right. After about nine months of playing no more than twice a week and often less, i can throw a 165g Nova between 180 and 220 feet on flat ground dead straight. I often play four or five holes with Nova only each week as practice
3) My Bag is only Axiom and some MVP, but I wouldn't dream of being on a course without the Nova
4) Antime I introduce someone to disc golf we both play a one disc round (usually nine holes or less) with Novas. They experience more fun and predictable success and when they see me throw it twice as far, they are motivated to to try smooth; I mean if a 50 year old fat man can throw it 200 feet...

The Dart! The Nova is super touchy and in my opinion uncomfortable to grip. Suprisingly, not because of the big knobs on the bottom, but because of the tall long shoulder. Really, if youre fan gripping your putters (as you should) your fingers dont come near the knobs. I felt like the nova had to be released eeeever so perfectly to get a good line. The dart feels more like a baby mako. Its a slightly smaller diameter with the same mako nose and ridiculous glide. I used to use the dart for straight approach shots and putted with it for a short time although I found it to be a bit domey for putting. Its a great driving putter that feels more like a LSS midrange. Great for annys and stable into moderate wind. So, for me, hands down: The Dart.

I find the odd front, the slats or whatever you call them are the parts that would make the Nova feel odd when I putt. I also find the depth to be a bit much on the Nova for driving. The Dart feels like a Rubber Putter but faster like with a sharper under wing part, smother too. Dome is almost the same to a Rubber Putter on the R-Pro models. Now for a putting putter I would go with the Nova simply due to it being a slower putter, but I use something else anyhow. The Dart is a bit fast, the dome makes no difference in the putting, for me it is the nose shape and under wing part going to nose for that.

Currently I use a 175 Gram Star Shark with dome as the place of a driving putter, the Dart is like a domey Star Shark in terms of dome, that I can also do Approach shots with, though I prefer my lower dome 175 gram old Pro plastic Shark OOP in that plastic type for that, the plastic is rubbery more so the disc sits more. If I needed to get a new old Pro Plastic Shark, I would try a G Star one though normally I hate G Star, to flexible for me. So that means I would get a Dart in two plastics a Star one and a R-Pro for uphill shots and downhill approach putts. However I have found I do not like domey putters for Putting so I would not use the disc as a putter. The Dart seems like it would be a good one disc round type disc that could handle long drives, midrange on up. Only flaw with the Dart to me is putting and that is just that I have found with experience that I do not like domey putters.

They are very similar discs. Dart is faster - has a little more turn/fade - but not much. For approaches I think its really up to you - if you really want to DRIVE with it I think the Nova is a little tougher just because of the feel/grip (can be awkward for power) and when really powered the Nova does turn and hold - which is great if that's what you want.

If you were only going to choose out of those two it'll come down to what feel/speed you're more comfortable with since they are so similar . I'd say Dart as its little faster and would handle a long approach or drive better

But may I throw out a recommendation of an MVP Atom for straight drives - it is faster than a Nova and about the same as a dart. Less glide but a more sleek profile and feel - It goes very straight (power stable with Proton plastic) and Electron is baseline so as it wears it gets a nice floaty straight flight - or late turnover with power - For these longer approaches or drives I use an electron Atom for straight to understable - and Proton atom for straight with no turnover little fade - they work great together

Otherwise between Nova and Dart - I'll say Dart for drives and longer shots - If youre a player that powers up putters a lot and you get good distance a Nova is worth checking out, I use it but mainly for short straight shots and long putts/runs at the basket. Anything you decide should work - good luck!

I like the nova better. It's not uncomfortable to me, but I can see how it's off to others. I prefer the slower glide of a nova over the dart which is a bit faster. Nova also has much less ground play in my experience, stays pretty close to where it lands, whereas the dart for me has more roll always and sometimes takes an odd skip.

All that said, I prefer the classic aviar for 90% of my putter shots. Putt with them, drive with them, approach with them whenever possible. Has a similar flight to the nova with a little more fade, but still overall pretty much dead straight. It's shallower which to me is more comfortable. The nova is better in the wind though in my experience. Even with gusty wind the nova somehow cuts through pretty well and seems less effected overall by wind.

When someone asks for straight & lots of glide, my first thought is the Aero.

Looking for a straight driving putter and approach putter. Also would like it for annys...which of the two do you prefer and why...thanks for the input.

Dart. The grip fits my hand better than the Nova. They're easier to throw in the wind or with some power. The R-Pro blends from a few years ago my buddy used felt really nice.

I do it all with the Dart, driving, approaching and putting. It is a very neutral flyer, that can hold a nice anhyzer line. Darts are great for longer putts. The Dart is more floaty than the Nova.

Current run r-pro darts feel like your gripping a sponge, extremely soft plastic and a dome that gives with the slightest touch. I'm not a fan. However, they really mean that flight rating though, tons of glide and straight as straight goes. However, don't expect it to hold up at all in the wind.

I ended up flattening my Dart and the disc is a thing of beauty now. If a slower Teebird were a thing, I'd make that argument for a flattened dart.

Like, drove over it? Or, is there some technique?

The ol' "sub-boiling water poured into the flightplate of an upside-down disc on a flat surface, with a cutting board and a few of your favorite books thrown on top" routine. Gets 'em every time, I tells ya!

...don't expect it to hold up at all in the wind.

If a slower Teebird were a thing, I'd make that argument for a flattened dart.
These two statements contradict each other. Innova does make a slower teebird, it's the BB aviar.

When someone asks for straight & lots of glide, my first thought is the Aero.

I think of the Classic Aviar DX only or the Discmania version P-1 if one wants a Classic Aviar in a Champion or Star plastic or Performance (Pro besides the D (DX) plastic. Another good one is the Magnet for Putting but not driving, comes in the D both soft and hard, and Jawbreaker.

For me, it's gotta be the Nova, though you probably can't go wrong either way.

My first putter was a dart, and I tend to agree with most of what's been said about it here. It's definitely got a midrange-like feel.

If you don't mind the feel of the Nova, and you can commit to learning how to throw it, it is a tremendously unique disc that just wants to hold lines, settle, and sit down where it lands. It will also make you better at throwing touchy shots with other discs.

When I was studying for the bar the summer before last, I would take short breaks and just throw novas and aviars over and over in the backyard. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it if you commit to a little field work, or even on the course. Once it's dialed in, it's truly a weapon. And it holds it's stability for a looong time. I got one of those christmas protostar ones a few years back, and after heavy use it still won't flip. Both of the darts I had got very flippy after a season or two.

Latest posts