• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OAT or Just throwing hard.

nsillej

I have started to notice something kinda weird with my 175 Champ Destroyers. Unfortunately i have no way of recording myself and posting videos, so I'll try to describe flight paths of disc...

My current max distance with Destroyers is 380-420'
My 175 champ destroyers seem to be turning over on me.(RHBH) The disc goes out dead straight for about 200-250' and then dump right. about 20-50 foot from hitting the ground it Stables up but doesn't come back to the line it went out straight on.

The destroyers are fairly new, I would say they are not fully broken in yet.

When I feel I have thrown an identical throw with a 175 Champ boss, the disc turns 75% of the distance and then Stables up just pass the initial trajectory line.

I've only been playing for just over a year, (15 months). I play a LOT in the summer, and apparently I catch on quick.

Thanks for advice and input.

Thought I would add that I have been working with Voodo's and Roc's alot lately, I am getting about 300' Roc throws, (dead strait no turn, no fade) and about 200-250 with Voodo's, (dead strait no turn, no fade Hyzer flip)

thought maybe this information could help

It sounds like you're changing something with your form when you throw drivers vs mids and putters and developing OAT.

Perhaps you're trying too hard and not staying loose, which creates strong arming which can lead to OAT. Or trying too hard and you're rolling your wrist which creates OAT. If you're able to throw Rocs and Voodoo's without torque monkeying them, you're doing something right. But, determining what you're doing different with your drivers can be puzzling. Try isolating your throws, and get someone to watch you that has an idea of what their looking at. So they can possibly see variances in your throw. It might be something simple, to something complex they might not see unless they have a good understanding of form. But, you can always relate what they say to us and see if that helps us determine a solution.

As far as possible solutions to try right now, I say focus on staying loose, try throwing everything on a hyzer line for a while in field practice. See if you can make them not flip that way. Really focus on staying loose in your upper body, this sounds to me like it's your main problem.

(OAT or Just throwing hard.?)Off Axis Torque MAKES THE DISC MORE stable or more understable but if your disc flied straight for about 200-250ft and then turned right you probably are just throwing the disc so fast(and with a bit OAT) that it turns like crazy after it reaches it´s maximum stabelnes of the speed it can handle.try loosen up and just try to throw the disc fast (NOT HARD) and on a straight(or hyzer) line for best disc action.

Yeah, sounds like you might be rolling your wrist over a bit.