• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Odd player in doubles toss?

robasse

We have just put in a course and are getting some numbers in our best shot random doubles tosses. What is the ideal way to keep things even when there is an odd man? Should we give him 1 extra shot per hole or something different?

Thanks!

i think the rule is best 2 give them the choice of 1 extra drive or putt, which they have to pick.:thmbup:

Yep. That's known as the "Cali" rule. It can be tough on a lesser player. But an advanced or pro player can do well with it. Plus, if they win, they don't have to share with anyone...

...except their "partner"!

Congrats on the new course!

Round here, the odd man usually gets to play as his own partner. drive 2x approach 2x and putt 2x. it may give him an unfair advantage if he is particularly good, but there is no real way to be fair in that situation.

the standard 'cali' (where the hell did 'cali' come from BTW??) style is to allow that extra man extra shot, either drive or putt, but not both, assuming a par 3 layout.

for holes that play longer than a par 3, i guess you folks get to establish your own rules unless someone on here has more experience in the matter.

One extra shot per hole if he pays once, two throws per lie if he pays double is the way we they run it at our local weekly doubles.

Well, at this point we are not posting an entry fee in an effort to promote play from beginners. In another few weeks we will begin charging an entry fee. I like that idea though! I will keep that in mind for the future.

One extra shot per hole if he pays once, two throws per lie if he pays double is the way we they run it at our local weekly doubles.

The one time I played cali I got to either redrive or take another putt once per hole. It worked out well to my advantage and was nailing my second putts almost all the time. Hit some nice 30 footers. Im not the best player, but I did not mind playing odd man out at all.

Locally we do Cali pays double and gets an extra throw for every shot. It favors top players and makes it hard on new players.

Another possible solution is to have a weaker team play in a threesome. All three get to drive but whoever's drive they take can't throw the next shot.

Round here, the odd man usually gets to play as his own partner. drive 2x approach 2x and putt 2x. it may give him an unfair advantage if he is particularly good, but there is no real way to be fair in that situation.

Around here it depends on the course.

On the pitch'n'putt, pay once, get one extra throw per hole, you decide which shot. Shot selection occurs after the player's first drive.

On the longer course, pay twice, throw every shot twice.

On the intermediate course we do a random draw Pro/Am. If we're playing short tees, an Am gets cali and one extra shot per hole. If we're playing longs, a Pro gets it.

Yeah we play Cali round these parts as well. playing by yourself is all about shot management as well. I have noticed that advanced and pro players thrive at Cali while beginners and intermediate players dont. Which is weird to me because they have an extra shot. But it's all about when you use that shot.
I also play doubles every week out here and we have a Cali about every other week.

Around here if we are doing $ dubs, if you draw cali, you have the option to buy in for your "partner" and get an extra shot for every stroke (I think thats a little much) if you do not, you get to get 1 extra stroke per hole, to use where you like. I love being cali, but often only bring a limited bag, and it stinks to only have 1 putter, or 1 overstable driver when you mess up that shot.

Start a "triples" group.
All three tee off from the first tee, then whatever shot you choose, that thrower in not eligible for the next throw. Do that for the whole 18. Only two players will throw from each spot.
PM if you need a better explanation.

Latest posts