• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off season?

Ha, I was actually thinking of that. I've heard of skiers taping ribbons to their skis on deep powder days so that they can find 'em if one pops off.

It's not something new. When your discs are warm (indoor ambient), use a quality duct tape and tape ribbons in the center of your discs. About 3' long. You'll barely ever lose a disc again.

Also, make sure to leave your discs outside for the night before you go throw. There's nothing worse than warm discs that have snow stick to them.

I'll second having played in waist deep snow. It happens. Today the temps rose above 45. Pretty sure I'll have my windows down on the way to the course, after dark.

It's not something new. When your discs are warm (indoor ambient), use a quality duct tape and tape ribbons in the center of your discs. About 3' long. You'll barely ever lose a disc again.

Also, make sure to leave your discs outside for the night before you go throw. There's nothing worse than warm discs that have snow stick to them.

Huh. I might give that a shot.
How much does is affect the disc flight? There's no way they fly as far (although our winter course here isn't exactly full of long bombs).

Impact on flight is minimal compared to the ****ty winter conditions hurting your throws with snowsuits and boots etc.

Anymore in the winter now I just take a couple Zephyrs and putters. Zephyrs are so big they just spin on top of the snow and don't dive into it.
Plus it's super fun to throw 200' shots that take 37 minutes to land.

Huh. I might give that a shot.
How much does is affect the disc flight? There's no way they fly as far (although our winter course here isn't exactly full of long bombs).

It does limit the distance but the payoff is not looking for almost every drive for 10 minutes.

I use a clear packing tape because it's lighter than duct tape.

I have no problem playing in colder temps, but snow is more problematic. With more than an inch or two of fresh snow, burial/loss is a real threat. Once the snow is a few days old and crusty/compacted, 6-9" of snow can still swallow up a disc if it lands at a steep angle. Generally you can see the entry point, but even that method gets dicey depending on how many tracks are in the playing area.

So seriously...waist deep snow?? I have to assume that's hyperbolic rhetoric.

No hyperbole. The snow was averaged to and a little through the bottom of the baskets. It was drifted deeper in some spots too. At 5'3", I'm not the tallest guy out there. Some places were literally up to my waist and I had to climb out. We were playing a Zephyr round. No problem losing Zephyrs they don't dig in far and leave a huge mark. That day kicked my butt and this old man could only do 9.

I do play a lot of regular rounds in the deep snow. You have to become a snow forensic scientist. :p Its amazing how far a Flick can knife through the powder. And of course every year I lose a few. Its a fun game, Winter Disc Golf. Two sports in one. Throw the Disc & Kick the Snow.

No hyperbole. The snow was averaged to and a little through the bottom of the baskets. It was drifted deeper in some spots too. At 5'3", I'm not the tallest guy out there. Some places were literally up to my waist and I had to climb out. We were playing a Zephyr round. No problem losing Zephyrs they don't dig in far and leave a huge mark. That day kicked my butt and this old man could only do 9.

I do play a lot of regular rounds in the deep snow. You have to become a snow forensic scientist. :p Its amazing how far a Flick can knife through the powder. And of course every year I lose a few. Its a fun game, Winter Disc Golf. Two sports in one. Throw the Disc & Kick the Snow.

Yowzers. I stand corrected.

I live in South Carolina and there really isn't an off season for me. Some wooded courses can be annoying because of tons of leaves, but I almost never have to deal with snow. And right now it's insanely warm for this time of year (high 60's low 70's) and I'm in disc golf heaven.

Impact on flight is minimal compared to the ****ty winter conditions hurting your throws with snowsuits and boots etc.

Try to avoid the trees, too. Few things are more pathetic than a fine disc hanging from a tangled ribbon high up in a tree. Its then that you wish your duct tape wasn't quite so reliable.

Try to avoid the trees, too. Few things are more pathetic than a fine disc hanging from a tangled ribbon high up in a tree. Its then that you wish your duct tape wasn't quite so reliable.

The funniest things Ive seen is when people with ribbons throw a bad then look away in disgust, but they shanked it and the ribbon comes off on a branch and the disc keeps going and they loose it. Just because you have a ribbon on it doesnt mean you cant lose it.

Up here in New England, ice bowls are held from December through March ... but the real love goes to Team Challenge. We have four pools, each with a minimum of 8 teams, and 20 players per team. Do the math.

Each team plays three home matches hosting a road team with food and drink, and three road matches. One match a month from November through March, with finals in April.

First round is singles match play. Second round is best disc doubles. Each team captain puts up a player or doubles pairing. The opposing captain picks the opponent, then puts up for the next match. Singles wins are worth one point, doubles wins are worth two points. Win more than half the points and you win the match.

In the top pool, the top six teams make finals in a format similar to the NFL playoffs (not including the Super Bowl). Bottom two teams get relegated to the next pool. Top two teams from that pool get promoted. Etc, etc. Each team antes up $400 into the pool. Winners get half the total pot.

It's year long bragging rights for the champions, bitter pills for the relegated, and a helluva lot more fun than nearly any tournament I've ever played in. Watching a whole group of guys in an individual sport pulling for each other in a team environment is awesome.

This was a playoff between the host team at Crane Hill in Wilbraham, MA and my team from Cranbury Park in Norwalk, CT. Crane goes first off the tee and also putts first.

https://www.facebook.com/jbinley/videos/10153582996499580/

First guy to tee off is Kyle Moriarty (just got a Lat 64 sponsorship), second is Cam Gallant. For Cranbury, first up is Jeff Cahill, second is Bobby Cowperthwait (same from GHDGO and has an Innova sponsorship).

https://www.facebook.com/steve.merrill.35/videos/1023287274397880/

Crane putts from about 27-30' into a head wind. Cranbury putts from about 15' ... this was a huge win for us on the road at one of the top teams in the top pool.

Last edited:
Team Challenge in New England was an absolute blast. I was only there for one year (Team Tolland - undefeated during the regular season but got smoked in the finals) but really enjoyed it. I'd love to have something like that set up for SC.

All of you northerners seem a bit manlier than us in the south. Maybe it's just a function of how often it gets cold, but a lot of us down here will refuse to go outside if it's below 40. Probably that's because it's 50+ so often that there's no reason to go out when it's below freezing. Just wait a day and it'll probably be 60 tomorrow, and you can play then. Up north, though, it's not gonna be a reasonable temperature for another month, so you might as well just suck it up and go play in the cold.

On a personal level, I actually treat the off-season like the off-season. I rarely play or throw. I spend the time getting away from DG, relaxing, playing rec league volleyball and indoor soccer, doing some weightlifting, etc. I'm also of the belief that throwing too often with too many clothes on will damage your form. Take it as an excuse to do something else for a couple of months.

Todd ... this is Craig by the way ...

This match was this past Saturday. No snow on the drive up from Norwalk to Wilbraham. Nothing all day long while we played. As soon as we crossed back into CT over the state line, it was a full-on blizzard. Took four hours to get home.

Well we had a blizzard down here Friday/Saturday as well. Two days later and there's still snow on the ground in the shady parts of my yard. Egad!

Guess this could've been posted in the Winter thread, but name of the video makes it seem more appropriate for this one:

This vid sums up quite nicely the question of an off-season. I love my winter rounds: it's not as easy as a 70 degree day in June, but still fun on so many levels. Well done!

Some use the sport to enjoy a nice day outside when the weather is cooperating. Some weather all conditions. To each his own. It is your own decision.

As for me, cold temps bring dry fingers and slicker discs. And that leads to much shorter throws due to lack of spin. Snow leads to decreased ability to gain footing. So, even less distance.

So, one day, if I had enough plastic, I'd have a winter bag full of G-Star type plastics, which, although too floppy for my taste in the heat of summer, firm up in the cold. And a set of Champion type plastics for summer, which are sturdy and tacky enough in the heat but slippery in the winter.