• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off the Beaten path tourney ideas, a break from the norm

DatRedDude

Eagle Member
Alright so a buddy and I have been brainstorming and trying to come up with some corny tourney ideas.

We want to have a fun tournament, not even remotely serious with crappy prizes and mandos that don't makes sense.

Team 280 presents the Baggers Brawl

Entry fee would be a used disc(or new disc).

There are no payouts, winner gets first choice of disc from what was used to enter.

Divisions are up in the error. Or we call them stereotype divisions.

We talked about having brand divisions. For instance, all grip bag owners would be in a division.

Blue Jeans division
Pony Tail division

CTP's on every hole, but crappy ones, like a pair of socks, a twinkie, 2 liters of generic pop and crap from the dollar store.

Players pack would consist of noise makers from a party store and highly encouraged to be used during play.

One buddy has a friend that does a dirty clown routine, have him stand on a hole and heckle.

I am very serious about this or it may be a pipe dream. Just curious as to how many people would actually play in something that is purely for fun.

Feel free to make me feel stupid and or feel free to contribute to the corny ideas. I will be keeping track of them and i really want to have an experience for the serious and not serious player to walk away from going that was corny as hell but i can't wait until next year.

Wouldn't interest me.....except I like the idea of a disc as entry fee, and winners get their pick. It would be funny to see just what ends up in the prize pool.

I'd probably play something like this, but it wouldn't be my first choice. If there were a "normal" tourney going on somewhere else I'd likely end up there. But it depends - on who is running it, course(s) involved, players pack, where everybody else seems to be talking about going, etc. Promote it right, draw a crowd, and I'll be there (well give me 6 months to heal up, and run it somewhere where I will be, and I'll be there).

Chevis - no disrespect to twinkies, i would prefer them as opposed to some of the things i have gotten in players packs lol

martin - i would def look at our state calendar and ensure it doesn't conflict with anything else. Was more or less looking for more ideas of crazy hair brained stuff that people would find interesting if not entertaining at least.

Like 5$ movies from walmart for CTP's

If the initial investment is a disc you have in your trunk that you will never throw then you are not really looking for a ROI.

We are looking at mandos around trees that aren't even on the hole, everyone switches bags every three holes type thing.

In my mind its ams only. geared more toward the casual player that likes to ham it up on the course from time to time and not worry about where their feet our or talking when someone is throwing.

something that is a break from the norm.

I did a round with my co-workers once (we play fairly regularly together, we only played this format once, though it comes up in conversation pretty often) they're the epitome of casual player. One night we were sitting around having a few beverages and dreamed up "F'd up skeeter golf" Every hole had a different rule, every hole had to be thrown with a lightweight (135g) skeeter. We had rules like "Everything outside 40' must be forehand roller" "Every throw must be turbo" "Every hole must be thrown between the legs" "Off hand" "Every throw Overhand" "Throw Underhand" some were a bit more complicated "whoever has the worst score at this point takes the leaders disc and throws it wherever they want, that player must start the hole from there" "whoever is leading at this point must kick at least one throw" "The 3 players losing get to play together best shot, while the leader plays alone". I think we had 13 holes like that. They had a blast, it's probably something we'd do again.

Other thoughts, If there's a significant walk between some holes, set up a mini hole from basket of previous hole to the tee of the next, players must use their own mini. Tie envelopes to trees, If a player hits that tree they get the envelope that contains a prize, there may be several envelopes per hole, but each player can only win one prize per hole, prizes can be any of your goofy prizes or something somewhat worthwhile. Read through a deck of ript/revenge cards, you could get some ideas from there.

How 'bout a RIPT event?

Was going to suggest that myself.

The other idea is one I've never played but have heard plenty of good things. It's called Survivor.

You start out playing mob golf. Either one huge group of players or divide everyone up the players you have in evenly numbered groups (larger groups are better though). Everyone in the group plays the first hole. Highest score on that hole is eliminated. If there's a tie for high score, there are two ways to go about it. The first is to have the tied players tee off on the next hole with the player who is CTP surviving and everyone else eliminated. The second is to do the same thing, but only eliminate the furthest from the pin. Which way you go depends on how many players you have, what kind of time you have to work with, and how quickly you want to whittle the field down. With smaller groups, eliminating one at a time will allow for a longer battle.

The process is repeated on every hole until you have one player standing. If you have multiple groups, then once each group has a single survivor, they all combine to form a new group and continue to play until only one of them is left. As players are eliminated, they're encouraged to stick around and heckle the remaining players (of course, heckling from the surviving players is also encouraged). Once there's a lone survivor, if there are still holes to be played (either in the same round or if people want to go around again), the whole thing can start over again with everyone back in the game.

Ript events are always good fun.
  1. Safari rounds can make things very interesting, as long as you don't make holes ridiculously long.
  2. "Doubles singles" Players A and B are a "team," both throw from the tee, switch lies so A throws from B's spot. Then switch again. If A holes out, then B throws the hole like normal.
  3. 1 or 3 disc tournaments can get interesting.
  4. Use disc for entry fee, but random draw for who gets each disc and they are forced to use it at least once every so many holes.
  5. Expanding on 4
    rather than random draw, auction the discs..people can bid using throws. If there's a good disc in the entry pile, somebody may be willing to start off with a +5 in order to be able to use a good disc​
  6. Crazy optional lines for bonus. Throw way wide around a certain tree or between a narrow gap and it will take 3 throws off your score for that hole, but it may take 2-4 extra throws, so it's a gamble.

We're a different group around here and either have actually played these types or given them serious consideration.

I was talking to some of the club members at Tali Sunday and I wish I could remember all of the funky things they do at their club championship. Some I do recall:

On hole #1 (a legit par 5 beast) you are given the next disc on the stack of lost+found discs and must use it for that hole.
Do a Safari inverted OB hole. Hole 18 is an island hole. They make the fairway and island around the basket OB rather than IB.

I in the past have done a furthest from the pin rather than CTP. There was a minimum distance you had to throw so it wasn't just a matter of dropping the disc in front of the tee box.

For a few years I put on an event for Halloween, and did a "Hole from Hell", usually #13. I took flag ribbon, and made double mandos that snaked along through the normal fairway to make my own fairway up to the basket. The first mando was just far enough away that it was easy to reach, but tricky enough to decide "Go for it", or lay it up.?? Miss the mando, then you had to throw back around, and then proceed. After the last event I had, people were laughing, smiling, and frustrated, but all were talking about that hole. I also incorporated some Ript card actions into the event depending on the hole, such as Drive off the tee with your mini, must throw a roller off the tee, must throw a thumber off the tee, if you have a really short, or really easy hole, then must play entire hole with your off hand (if you are right handed, must throw it all left, including putt).

Josh - thanks for the videos that tourney looks awesome

danny - just the kind of ideas i am looking for

thanks all for your input, nice to see not everyone takes this game so serious, would be nice to have an annual goof off competitive tourney once a year.

In the right setting with the right friends, I could see something like this being an absolute blast and I'd definitely take part.

The clown might be overkill, though. :| :clownhatesmiley:

One thing I'd like to try sometime is a "haunted course" glow round around Halloween. Put up a bunch of corny Halloween decorations (preferably ones that glow, duh ;)) like hanging skeletons, haunted house sounds near the baskets to spook peeps out, et al.

^ I like this idea. How about players carve pumpkins, light 'em and put those on top of the baskets? End of the event, players vote on best carving, winner gets some sort of prize.

One thing I'd like to try sometime is a "haunted course" glow round around Halloween. Put up a bunch of corny Halloween decorations (preferably ones that glow, duh ;)) like hanging skeletons, haunted house sounds near the baskets to spook peeps out, et al.

Like have people hiding in trees and scarring the bejesus out of people while they throw :D

that would be awesome and would be better for a private course. the courses i would play this at you don't want to be out at after the street lights come on.

Washington Park or Brookside in Indy

Latest posts