• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey thanks! It's fun interacting with everyone in our own little world here. Sometimes we haven't managed to stay on top of communication as much as we'd like to but it should be pretty consistent moving forward, maybe a few times a week. We pride ourselves in being open with customers and giving them the most honest answers we have to offer.

Iron Samurai and Sky God, one will be glow for sure :). Both to come in early 2022 as well. Hopefully we can push out a production update no later than 1-2 weeks from now.

Like in the Black Mystery boxes early 2022?!?!?!?!

Discmania Support Reply

Like in the Black Mystery boxes early 2022?!?!?!?!

As in the ones that were sold this December? Unfortunately not. Signature discs need their own spotlight and day in the sun, unless it's the featured item of the box. Like Tilt or Rainmaker, for example.

As in the ones that were sold this December? Unfortunately not. Signature discs need their own spotlight and day in the sun, unless it's the featured item of the box. Like Tilt or Rainmaker, for example.

Wishful thinking that Jussi was going to pull a mad marketing pull.

Here's a question for the thread: player/contract swaps are RAGING right now. DM is focusing on "reinventing their game," and rightfully so. They're likely trying to put their fiscal resources into keeping their elite team intact. With that said, DM was dominating the "news room" in the disc golf community, but that thunder has been stolen in the off season with these shakeups…

What does Discmania need to do to recover some hype in the foreground of the disc golf scene? The CB3 release was a little lackluster due to shipping issues, the Red Box fell flat for many people because it didn't have the "April jewels" that people come to lust after (and scalp), and a lot of things got rushed at the end of the year, including some goals that weren't fully achieved (FD delay, Signature Series holes, etc.). What is the VERY next thing you want to see from The Shield to keep them on their journey to the very top of the mountain?

Wishful thinking that Jussi was going to pull a mad marketing pull.

Here's a question for the thread: player/contract swaps are RAGING right now. With that said, DM was dominating the "news room" in the disc golf community, but that thunder has been stolen in the off season with these shakeups…

What does Discmania need to do to recover some hype in the foreground of the disc golf scene?

I don't understand why any company would want to constantly be at the top of the "Hype Mountain" per say....

That being said, they just said on the previous page that the Iron Samurai and Sky God runs are coming in early 2022. That seems like enough to me.

DM, nice moves with Kyle and Casey. Subtle moves. Can we look for any signings upcoming, or were all resources invested in the new facility?

Quoting myself from the 2022 pros switching sponsors thread...

DM has a track record of not buying talent, but rather cultivating talent from up and comers. I really dont see them signing a proven talent for mega bucks.

Mystery Box Comparison and Thoughts

I received my Black "Eagle Edition" (You'll understand the "" later) Mystery Box today. I thought I'd post a quick comparison between it an my Black Friday Box along with some general thoughts. I think we all knew it was going to be a strange year given the general lack of DM inventory and diversity, I have my own feelings but I am curious to hear yours.

Red (Black Friday) Box:
- MD1, Neo Tactic, Vapor Method, Vapor Instinct, Base Shogun, Neo Enigma, X-out CD2, Premium Genius, Misprint Exo Hard Method

- Thoughts: Stoked for the MD1, Tactic, Vapor Method, Vapor Instint, and Enigma. Never thrown a CD2 or Genius Before. Overall I felt that I got my $100 value back plus some. Cool stamps were a bonus and this box actually filled a lot of what I am already bagging. I was definitely not stoked for the Genius and Shogun. I have not thrown any active line and don't see myself using any of these discs. The Genius might become a lender discs for newer players that I take out.

Black "Eagle Edition" Box:
- Vapor Essence, Exo Soft Origin, X-out DD3, Forge Instinct, Base Sensei, Premium Mentor, Premium Astronaut, Rainmaker x2

- Thoughts: Very excited for the rainmakers. These feel like great putters and I am excited to give them a shot. Essence is a staple in my bag so I am excited to have it in the Vapor plastic, although obviously not something I can replace if lost. The Forge instinct seems great as well. I am just getting used to throwing them (I am somewhat new) and will be curious to see how it compares to the Vapor and Neo plastics. The origin is interesting, the Origin was one of my first discs and I love it, but for me it is incredibly flippy and becoming less and less useful. Not sure if the exo soft will get a ton of use. I am excited to give the Astronaut a try, but disappointed with the Sensei and Mentor. Aside from the pin and the Rainmakers this box does NOT have an Eagle Edition theme. It would have been cool to see some Eagle stamps thrown in, that would have really increased value in my opinion.

Overall: I feel that I at least got my $200 investment back from the two boxes, so that is satisfying. That being said, neither box was a "Mystery" to me. I got the exact same box as a large number of people and was not "Surprised" by anything except the X-outs. DM needs to find a work around for this next year.

I am both excited and a little hesitant to get too used to the evolution line "Special Edition" discs because they are not replaceable if I happen to fall in love and then lose a disc (This is one of DM's major flaws with the Evolution line right now in my opinion). Same thing goes for the X-outs - Cool, but what is the point of working them into the bag? The MD1 and rainmakers seem Epic. I am very excited to DM ramp up production of both of these, great inclusions. The Active Line....... I get that DM is going to include these molds, I really do get it, but I really have to fight back my disappointment with these discs. I am just not going to throw any of them except perhaps for the Astronaut.

Suggestion: I'd really like DM to take a "Trading Card" approach to the mystery boxes. In this model there are tiers of discs - Base, Silver, Gold, Etc. It would be neat to see every box get say 4 base, 2-3 silver, and 1-2 gold level discs in a box rather than everyone getting pretty much an identical box. I think DM needs to be more transparent about the boxes next year because I am not 100% sure that I'd buy one right now unless they are more upfront.

What are your thoughts?

Well DM did produce these boxes from scratch. I.e. no old inventory, less x-outs or weird little rarities lef lying around, but more just manufacturing discs to be put into boxes straight up.

I like your tier idea. Not sure how easy to implement. Some time ago they did make one special box that was all gold tier, that was epic. It was random who got it tho.

I dont necessarily understand not wanting to bag the x-outs as "difficult to replace"? Arent they just cosmetic defects and should fly just like the others? Taking into account that even discs in same mold, weight and plastic may fly differently.

Discmania Support Reply

I received my Black "Eagle Edition" (You'll understand the "" later) Mystery Box today. I thought I'd post a quick comparison between it an my Black Friday Box along with some general thoughts. I think we all knew it was going to be a strange year given the general lack of DM inventory and diversity, I have my own feelings but I am curious to hear yours.

Red (Black Friday) Box:
- MD1, Neo Tactic, Vapor Method, Vapor Instinct, Base Shogun, Neo Enigma, X-out CD2, Premium Genius, Misprint Exo Hard Method

- Thoughts: Stoked for the MD1, Tactic, Vapor Method, Vapor Instint, and Enigma. Never thrown a CD2 or Genius Before. Overall I felt that I got my $100 value back plus some. Cool stamps were a bonus and this box actually filled a lot of what I am already bagging. I was definitely not stoked for the Genius and Shogun. I have not thrown any active line and don't see myself using any of these discs. The Genius might become a lender discs for newer players that I take out.

Black "Eagle Edition" Box:
- Vapor Essence, Exo Soft Origin, X-out DD3, Forge Instinct, Base Sensei, Premium Mentor, Premium Astronaut, Rainmaker x2

- Thoughts: Very excited for the rainmakers. These feel like great putters and I am excited to give them a shot. Essence is a staple in my bag so I am excited to have it in the Vapor plastic, although obviously not something I can replace if lost. The Forge instinct seems great as well. I am just getting used to throwing them (I am somewhat new) and will be curious to see how it compares to the Vapor and Neo plastics. The origin is interesting, the Origin was one of my first discs and I love it, but for me it is incredibly flippy and becoming less and less useful. Not sure if the exo soft will get a ton of use. I am excited to give the Astronaut a try, but disappointed with the Sensei and Mentor. Aside from the pin and the Rainmakers this box does NOT have an Eagle Edition theme. It would have been cool to see some Eagle stamps thrown in, that would have really increased value in my opinion.

Overall: I feel that I at least got my $200 investment back from the two boxes, so that is satisfying. That being said, neither box was a "Mystery" to me. I got the exact same box as a large number of people and was not "Surprised" by anything except the X-outs. DM needs to find a work around for this next year.

I am both excited and a little hesitant to get too used to the evolution line "Special Edition" discs because they are not replaceable if I happen to fall in love and then lose a disc (This is one of DM's major flaws with the Evolution line right now in my opinion). Same thing goes for the X-outs - Cool, but what is the point of working them into the bag? The MD1 and rainmakers seem Epic. I am very excited to DM ramp up production of both of these, great inclusions. The Active Line....... I get that DM is going to include these molds, I really do get it, but I really have to fight back my disappointment with these discs. I am just not going to throw any of them except perhaps for the Astronaut.

Suggestion: I'd really like DM to take a "Trading Card" approach to the mystery boxes. In this model there are tiers of discs - Base, Silver, Gold, Etc. It would be neat to see every box get say 4 base, 2-3 silver, and 1-2 gold level discs in a box rather than everyone getting pretty much an identical box. I think DM needs to be more transparent about the boxes next year because I am not 100% sure that I'd buy one right now unless they are more upfront.

What are your thoughts?

Good feedback here and well written. We always appreciate a professional take on something rather than grumpy random text. We will make sure to evaluate these types of things in great detail once they conclude and make adjustments for the next time around.

Just to point out one thing here, you mention that these seemed to not be a mystery and not too many people were "surprised" yet in the final statement you list your wishes for full transparency. What's the difference here?

As Flick Maniac mentioned, these are all produced with the sole intention of going into the box. Aside from a potential production issue (Neo Link in US), nothing is included because it's a product that hasn't been selling well, which is ultimately the goal of a "discount/bargain box" from any company. But not for us.

There will always be great improvements each time these products come about, we promise. Feedback is valuable and we always listen to it.

Good feedback here and well written. We always appreciate a professional take on something rather than grumpy random text. We will make sure to evaluate these types of things in great detail once they conclude and make adjustments for the next time around.

Just to point out one thing here, you mention that these seemed to not be a mystery and not too many people were "surprised" yet in the final statement you list your wishes for full transparency. What's the difference here?

As Flick Maniac mentioned, these are all produced with the sole intention of going into the box. Aside from a potential production issue (Neo Link in US), nothing is included because it's a product that hasn't been selling well, which is ultimately the goal of a "discount/bargain box" from any company. But not for us.

There will always be great improvements each time these products come about, we promise. Feedback is valuable and we always listen to it.

hold the phone - does that mean you guys are already producing a new CD2??

Yes, I suppose that is slightly contradictory, let me clarify: I think that transparency would be important with regards to the process for making the boxes and the general content, not the actual specifics when it comes to surprises and exact discs and box content. I'd really like to see something along the lines of - "This is what we did last year and here is what will be different this year." Again, that is with regards to the production process, not the specific contents of the boxes. I think such a strategy would help to build the hype.

I have been nothing but impressed with this thread and DMs willingness to engage. That is one of the reasons why I continue to support DM with my purchases. I enjoy writing thoughtful feedback (I used to write product reviews professionally) so I will continue to do so.

Looking forward to the production update.

Hey thanks! We're not all that bad once you get to know us :). It's highly appreciated to know that people do value our interaction with them.

We've got a few ideas in mind to keep it a bit more transparent with the unboxing experience especially. We'll evaluate these other points for sure.

Interested in the CB3 stamp colors/foils. Is there any information on the amount of different stamp colors? I've seen people speculate that there about 10 different colors, is that true?

DearDiscmania Support,
I love ❤️ the feel of the Rainmaker.
Is there any possibility that these will get to store shelves as normal stock?
I can't bring myself to putt with a limited run.
Anyways, my practice putting routine usually involves a stack of 5 or 10 discs.

Thinking about transferring to the Rainmaker as my main putter, but the Limited Edition is a deal killer…

Status
Not open for further replies.