• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Offseason work - preparing for 2013

All this and I'm still fat.

that's all diet.

I really look forward to the off season. After 10+ years of living disc golf, I need a break. My body gets out of whack from asymetrical nature of the game. It's a good opportunity to get stronger and regain balance. Yoga really helps. So do the basic Olympic lifts.

I'm going more towards a specialized (for disc golf) crossfit method and yoga combo. Crossfit full on is hard on the body and not necessary for disc. However, the basic tenet of functional movement is great for anyone.

living below the Mason-Dixon line makes DG possible all year long (more fun for me in the "winter"). IMO DG clubs in the southern states should do a moratorium on tournaments in the summer. 100° heat and high humidity don't make for fun golf. Our spring, fall and "winter" seasons are temperate enough to have more tournaments. but for whatever reason most tourneys happen between May and August.

@ManU: Congrats!! but if this is your first child you can hang up DG for a few months, not only your child but your wife will demand your time and attention. I guess luckily for you this will span most of the winter up there in Canadia.

Non DG, I'm running to train for a marathon next year. Doing basic weight training to strengthen my core. I'm scrawny and will stay that way, but could at least use some tone. Plus the last time I hit the weights hard I noticed a discernable difference in my drive distance.

Actual DG? I play at least one round every Monday. I usually play "practice rounds" on Sunday mornings at the course by my house. I tend to do that on Mondays too before going to a different course to play an "actual" round with friends.

Practice rounds consist of throwing three discs from the tee: An Opto Pure, a Z Comet, and whatever other disc I choose (mids most recently, but about to upgrade to fairways). Each disc is played as its own score. The Pure is used for every shot from its lie. The Comet and disc of choice are only used from the tee, and then replaced by an Ion and an Anode respectively. If I have a long approach shot I might use the Comet for the second shot too.

Now I just need to make time for putting practice...

I have no off-season here. The winters are when it gets really nice out. However, I lift 3-5 times a week for ~1-1.5 hour sessions. I train at a fairly fast pace, with heavy weights. I use a few machines, but mostly stick to free weights. Compound lifts are the core of my workouts. Lots of squats, dead-lifts, military presses, bench presses, rows and pullups. Rep ranges are any where from 4 - 12 reps, with sets ranging from 3 - 6. I also use a periodization schedule to vary my performance. I mix in a little heavy bag work and jump rope for cardio.

Outside of that I also maintain a pretty clean diet.

I have yet to play a round with snow on the ground (except for patches of fast melting snow in March) since I picked up the game 4 summers ago. I spend the offseason snowboarding almost every weekend, so that keeps my legs/core in great shape all winter. I also run with my discn' dog every morning 2 to 3 miles and do push ups/crunches after a good stretch following the run. Come spring, it takes 4 or 5 rounds to get back to where I left off in November. I like the quick re-learning curve though, as it helps me discover other and sometimes better techniques than I was using previously.

I don't really have an off season, more like a slow down period.
I run through the sand dunes, currently only doing 3 miles but working my way up. I also wear weighted gloves while running, 2lbs might not sound like much but if you keep your arms fairly active during the run it definitely gives the arms and shoulders a hell of a workout.

That's all I'm doing for now. Between climbing monster sand dunes and wearing weights I feel like I'm getting a pretty solid workout so I don't really have plans to add to it. Maybe some core strengthening later.

@ManU: Congrats!! but if this is your first child you can hang up DG for a few months, not only your child but your wife will demand your time and attention. I guess luckily for you this will span most of the winter up there in Canadia.

^ THIS - Hence why I play 2x a month.

No off season here in Nashville. I get out of work at 2:30 so I still get in 9 holes about 4x a week, and play full rounds on the weekend. Plus our club Music City Disc Golf just started a winter series of tournaments at Cedar Hill, so my tourney schedule rolls on!

I am doing "Convict Conditioning" and CC 2 (by Paul "Coach" Wade) and love them. Been doing since April this year. I also started to do running (barefoot/minimalist running) this year. Paul should come out with CC 3 sometime in 2013 which focus more on plyometrics.

I am in Florida so I get to play disc golf practically everyday. I am starting to focus on field work lately like I did 60 throws RHBH and 60 throws LHBH today plus 120 throws RHFH (just to throw discs back to "tee").

I play all year. Snow doesn't stop me. As far as workout goes...I do p90 x all year too. As far as eating goes, I stumbled on to Isagenix. The best food and meanest protein every made. All natural and helps me stay energized. PM me if you want details on that.

Daily:
Ride bike to work. rain, snow or shine, 3 miles one way.
Exercise dog by driving dog discs in field behind the house twice daily.
Half hour of putting practice in the yard.

Weekly:
Sunday rounds. At least 32 holes of play.
Longer bike ride ~20 miles (if weather is ok)

I'd love to be able to throw courses more often, but the sun is just getting to know the ground when i leave for work, and is long gone by the time i get off.

Can't wait for March.

Glow golf. Played 18 yesterday and 27 today after dark. The maglite my wife got me for my birthday has helped immensely. Also, racquetball and other cardio, mainly elliptical, but that's for general health and to offset the additional beer I tend to drink in the winter. Need to hit the weights again too. And put some time in on the friggin' Datsun.

There's an offseason? I begin every warmup with the right pec drill, or in my case the left pec drill. But I don't stop playing just because it gets cold.

Some good stuff in here. Especially nice to see all of the yoga mentions. I started a brief daily stretching routine about 7 years ago, which developed into 45 minutes+ of yoga every morning. Amazing habit. Can't imagine waking up without it.

New Orleans weather makes year-round practice possible. I play every Monday and Friday in between jobs. Was getting field work in an additional night or two a week, but the park I was doing this at stopped turning their lights on. Bummer.

Practice rounds consist of throwing three discs from the tee: An Opto Pure, a Z Comet, and whatever other disc I choose (mids most recently, but about to upgrade to fairways). Each disc is played as its own score. The Pure is used for every shot from its lie. The Comet and disc of choice are only used from the tee, and then replaced by an Ion and an Anode respectively. If I have a long approach shot I might use the Comet for the second shot too.

Very cool-sounding routine, b-mart. I'd like to get something like this going. Some of my best work has been on days where I've gone out and thrown primarily Comets - it's great for form, and really dials me in to the disc's capabilities. Might need to make more of a habit of it.

well I got lucky this year, my new job is right around the corner from a DG course and it has a "beginner loop" of 6 holes 230 or less. I play every day at lunch. Weekends are not mine anymore.

I have a 5.5 month old, first baby, and it's the reason I get to play 1x a week, 90 or so minutes max.