• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Offseason work - preparing for 2013

Congrats to the new Father's out there!

I most definitely need an offseason. I moved to San Diego so I could play year round, but after 2 years, I need a break for a few months to recharge the batteries.

Tonight:

1/2 mile run
100 KB swings
1/2 mile run

no real "off season" here in virginia and because there is less farm work to do i actually play more golf in the winter. my routine is ~ 3 rounds of golf a week and ~ 5 days of putting practice. putting practice is 100 putts playing a round of perfect putt 360. i'm also working on my core doing crunches, push ups, and some light yoga.

no real "off season" here in virginia and because there is less farm work to do i actually play more golf in the winter. my routine is ~ 3 rounds of golf a week and ~ 5 days of putting practice. putting practice is 100 putts playing a round of perfect putt 360. i'm also working on my core doing crunches, push ups, and some light yoga.

You might think about adding some Russian Twists into your routine. They are excellent at building the core muscles you use in disc golf.

I am just starting my winter routine. I try to completely change it up every 6 weeks but for now I am doing-

15-30 mins of cardio followed immediately by a dumbbell(and other) workout consisting of and in current order every other day-

each group is done in a circut
pull ups-doing about 3 sets of 5 right now- trying to work up to 30ish
dips - 3 sets of 10 - on off days I do around 200-300 push ups

side lifts - 4 sets of 8 -these get mixed in the other groups

Incline benches with dumbbells 3x8
rows 3x8

crunches and variations - 150ish

usually the whole thing takes me around an hour to an hour and a half

on off days I golf if the weather is great or just crunches or maybe even a day off.

After a few more weeks of this I think I will go to a Kettlebell routine for a few weeks.

I am still playing as many rounds as I can. I also have developed a nightly 30 minute workout at home that I try and do at least 4 times a week. I also have gotten back into Rock Climbing which I am finding has incredible benefits to my disc golf game.

Exercise bike few times a week.
yoga maybe 1 time every week or two.
Ab workout 2 times a week.

Just started a bands workout instead of lifting weights. Seems to be going really well and ive noticed a difference in my game. The workout uses bands you can get anywhere,,,has like 10 different exercises and i go through all of them at once as a circuit without a break. 3 sets total.

reverse fly is a great exercise for disc golf.

It's hard for me to get back into a workout routine since my shoulder is still missed up, but some Yoga and lots of core work will help

In addition to my running, I added a new workout routine. My wife for her birthday just got a Kinect for my XBox along with the Nike+ training game. It's been pretty sweet, we each have our own virtual trainer that runs us through ~30 minute workouts.

My workouts seem to be geared towards three things: building knee and ankle stability (awesome because I've injured both playing basketball in recent years) and core strength. Combine that with the improved cardio-vascular strength I'm getting from running and I'm going to be a machine in the Spring!

No snow here in Phoenix. My other activities include running, weights, and climbing.

hrmm rock climbing, that actually sounds really beneficial for DG. Really builds your grip strength and is an awesome workout for the whole body. I haven't done any climbing in years. although my climbing experience is limited to home made rock wall in barns and garages :p

Rock climbing is good it builds grip strength and core strength. My grip strength is strong, if I grip my disc too hard. I can do a full runup drive and if I overgrip my disc too much it wont leave my hands. At least I don't have to worry about not having a good grip.

There is some good climbing in your neck of the country. Not sure if it is super close to you, but there is some good climbing in that region.

I'm training for a half marathon in the spring so I'm just getting back into running 3-5 miles every other day as well as getting in some weights. Me and the wife are just getting into yoga as well. Also on a side note, played my 1st round in the snow today and i loved it!

I see guys talking about "I play in the snow.." I don't see how you can play in anything deeper than 2-3 inches. People say, tie a ribbon or put chalk or use bright discs or pay attention to the disc entry in the snow.... that seems like way too much work. Today we got 5 inches of snow and it's been below 15 degrees all day.. didn't have a single thought of going out there and throwing a round in those conditions. Lol. When there isn't some snow on the ground I do a lot of putting practice. Start with a round of 9 hole (the putting game), then outside from 35'-60', then I do some putt driving from 150'-250', then I go in reverse. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half before today I was doing that a couple times a week. Now with this new snow I'll have to settle for putting in the garage with my portable from about 20' away.

i haven't used it myself but people have said that they use colored rock climbing chalk on their hands and disc, leaves a nice colored mark in the snow where it enters. i've tried the ribbon taped to a disc with mixed results. luckily we don't get a lot of snow where i'm at, and if we do it's usually gone within a few days.

So far have played through snow, ice, and rain. Rain is easy as a waterproof layer and a good towel gets you through. Ice requires only a bit of consideration to the slide out any shot will have after landing. Snow is hard but possible. The trick is marking where your disc came down and walking that line. Look for a gash in the snow or any indication of color. Also, playing in groups helps immensely. So to improve my game this winter I have played multiple rounds a week. And used the icy tee pads as an excuse to make myself learn a more dependable back hand since flick rollers and anhyzers are out of the question.

Well I didn't keep this thread up, but I did get some work in this winter. One week until the first tourney, and a month until the first Atier. I'm playing decent but I'm curious how ill perform for two rounds. Planning to do 36 holes tomorrow or Wednesday.

I never win OPC Open, usually 5th or so. I'm hoping this is the year.

I weight lift 5-6 days a week. I work on all the essentials, Bi's, tri's shoulders, back, chest, legs. I do core and abs 5-6 days a week. I do cardio about 2-3 days a week. My ability to do cardio is limited to a bike. I also try to do the towel drill 3x a week! At least that's what I did this winter!

Latest posts