• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ohio course suggestions

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Looks like our roadtrip will take us from Cinci to Cleveland next week.
Wondering which courses to hit along the way.
Right now we are planning to play Euclid once we get there.

Looks like our roadtrip will take us from Cinci to Cleveland next week.
Wondering which courses to hit along the way.
Right now we are planning to play Euclid once we get there.

You should definitely play the Brent Hambrick Memorial, its not right off 71, but its worth. Another that you should try to get in, while also not right off 71, is Roscoe Ewing in Medina, this course has a lot of history, and its a lot of fun.

I was originally planning on sticking to I-71, but it looks like taking a more westerly route from Cincy will be better in terms of disc golf quality.
Here are the courses under consideration;
*Pike Lake
Rocky Fork
Williamsburg Comm Park
Great Seal
Flat Rocks

Lobdell Reserve

*Deis Hill
*Arboretum-Spiker
*Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges)

Would you say * are must plays ?
Didn't realize Canton had such a wealth of courses.

I'd say Deis is a must play for sure. Lincoln and Arboretum are both really good as well. I think I enjoyed Lincoln more than Arboretum. You can't go wrong playing any of the courses but Deis stands out as my favorite if I had to pick one of the 3.

Pike Lake was a lot of fun, definitely worth a stop. I also enjoyed Lobdell although if you're not a fan of more open courses then I'd skip it. Great Seal was alright, not great but not bad.. just kind of in the middle.

Last edited:
*Pike Lake - 4.5 rating (5 reviews including Olorin 4.5 & timg 4.0)
*Deis Hill - 4.0 rating (11 reviews - trusted reviewers all gave 4.0)
*Arboretum-Spiker - 3.5 rating (16 reviews - 2 trusted reviewers gave 3.5 & 4.5)
*Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges) - 4 rating (9 reviews - 3 trusted reviewers gave it 3.5, 3.5, 4.0)

I would say Pike Lake is the must play of the list and all the others are great courses that are well worth going out of your way to play. None of them should disappoint according to the reviews.

I do not mean to sound rude or anything, but I am curious why you would ask this given the wealth of info on this site. All your * courses have lots of reviews - most pretty detailed, pictures, maps, etc. What more do you expect to gather? Whatever it is, maybe there needs to be another category added to the course pages.

Well, it's always nice having someone who has played two or more of the * courses to compare them and you guys were kind enough to do that. I hope to play all of them, but if the weather comes into play I would be inclined to hit the best cluster of courses, (which may not necessarily have the highest rating) which looks like Canton. Since everyone is high on Pike Lake, maybe I'll have to rethink that.
*Pike Lake - 4.5 rating (5 reviews including Olorin 4.5 & timg 4.0)
*Deis Hill - 4.0 rating (11 reviews - trusted reviewers all gave 4.0)
*Arboretum-Spiker - 3.5 rating (16 reviews - 2 trusted reviewers gave 3.5 & 4.5)
*Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges) - 4 rating (9 reviews - 3 trusted reviewers gave it 3.5, 3.5, 4.0)

I would say Pike Lake is the must play of the list and all the others are great courses that are well worth going out of your way to play. None of them should disappoint according to the reviews.

I do not mean to sound rude or anything, but I am curious why you would ask this given the wealth of info on this site. All your * courses have lots of reviews - most pretty detailed, pictures, maps, etc. What more do you expect to gather? Whatever it is, maybe there needs to be another category added to the course pages.

Thanks for the feedback. What you are getting at might be a very cool search feature for Tim to add: select several courses and be able to see reviewers who have played all/most of them. You could easily see which reviewers have similar taste to you if they have played any courses you have played and key in on those.

Dave
It's also very interesting to me to find clusters of really good courses in determining a route. They may not pull you in by themselves, but they are a draw collectivley when you have 3 or more close together. For instance, I hadn't really thought of Canton as being a disc golf destination before I started poking around today. A different color for 3.5+ courses on the map browser would be helpful.

Here's our current (but very tenative) plan;
June 8-9 (Kings Island)
Idlewild/Mt. Airy/Lincoln Ridge
June 11
Pike Lake/Great Seal
June 12
Deis Hill/Arboretum-Spiker/Lincoln Park
June 13 (Cedar Point)
June 14
Sims/Euclid
June 15
Moraine
June 16
Knob Hill/Deer Lakes

If you can work IUP College Lodge in there when you're in the Pittsburgh area, you won't be disappointed.

I think a road trip map feature would rock if possible...where it will show courses within 25 miles of your trip route or something along those lines...or maybe to make it easier just have 4-5 waypoints on the route and have the search go out 50 miles...i kind of do this manually by clicking on random parts of the interstate I travel, but it would be neat to see it automatically...but it sounds like probably a boatload of work.

I think a road trip map feature would rock if possible...where it will show courses within 25 miles of your trip route or something along those lines...or maybe to make it easier just have 4-5 waypoints on the route and have the search go out 50 miles...i kind of do this manually by clicking on random parts of the interstate I travel, but it would be neat to see it automatically...but it sounds like probably a boatload of work.
Possible but very difficult to create. One day... :)

WooHoo! Gotta get to the Point. Best amusement park ever!

Yea, we've been talking about making this trip for ten years, but summer baseball always threw a monkey wrench into the schedule. The youngest son is graduating from HS tomorrow, so baseball is finally over. Glad we waited until we discovered disc golf.

Dave
June 12
June 14
Sims/Euclid
June 15
Moraine
June 16
Knob Hill/Deer Lakes

I live near most of these courses, and have played all (some multiple). All are great, and I would say my faves from the group:

• Deis Hill
  • Lincoln Park
  • Deer Lakes

That said, again all are great courses. The ones I singled out just happen to be my preferred in the list.

I too prefer Lincoln Park over Arboretum-Spiker but both are very nice courses. Lincoln Park is more technical and personally I think the scenery is better.

Lobdell Reserve in Alexandria is a great course I finally got around to playing for the first time recently. Not the most challenging or unique but it was arguably the most peaceful round I've played.

Brent Hambrick Memorial or Hoover to us locals, should most definitely be on your places to play list. Holes 1 and 2 are unfortunately closed until the tournament in July for reseeding but the other 25 holes are good to go.

Here's our new current (but very tenative) plan;
June 8-9 (Kings Island)
Idlewild/Mt. Airy/Lincoln Ridge
June 11
Pike Lake/Great Seal
June 12
June 13 (Cedar Point)
East Harbor State Park
June 14
Sims/Lake Shore
June 15
Moraine
June 16
Knob Hill/Deer Lakes
We'll be doing a mix of camping and motels.
Looks like good camping at Pike Lake,East Harbor and Moraine.
Anything else in between ?

I've camped at Great Seal before. Its a very nice park. minus the creepy van that pulled into the camp spot next to us at 2 AM when we were previously the only campers there. Thank god it was a drunk dude looking sleep it off and not any horror movie based fear coming to fruition.

I've camped at Great Seal before. Its a very nice park. minus the creepy van that pulled into the camp spot next to us at 2 AM when we were previously the only campers there. Thank god it was a drunk dude looking sleep it off and not any horror movie based fear coming to fruition.
Thanks, Great Seal would actually be better than Pike Lake as far as our schedule. A-spiker and Lincoln Park have camping listed as being nearby, but I'm not sure where it is.
Also still looking for something around Cincy.