• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ohio course suggestions

Just a heads up on Pymatuning -- I went there in fall of 2008 and only the back nine had tees/baskets. The "front nine" was something I guess they have planned out and set up temporary baskets or something. There were no front nine baskets when I drove 2+ hours to play there :(

Maybe it's changed since then, but no one has updated the course info on the DGCR course page since I did after going there last year.

Personally, I would hit Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula instead of Pymatuning. In the general area, and LSP is a great course.

the NEW Charles Mills (should be open for play about the time your traveling our way) Lake Park DGC http://www.mwcdlakes.com/ camping is available here. It's only 9 holes, but it's a really cool 9 as you play out and over to an island and back.

Any other info on this course? There's nothing on the park site link you supplied, nor here on DGCR.

Grand Opening for the Charles Mill DGC will be announced soon. possibly as soon as this week.

I think you'll like it. you might not like to pay to enter, but I think you'll like the DGC even if it's only 9 holes.

and Lakeshore Park in Ashtabula is one of my personal favorites of all the DGC i've played and should not be missed.

*Pike Lake - 4.5 rating (5 reviews including Olorin 4.5 & timg 4.0)
*Deis Hill - 4.0 rating (11 reviews - trusted reviewers all gave 4.0)
*Arboretum-Spiker - 3.5 rating (16 reviews - 2 trusted reviewers gave 3.5 & 4.5)
*Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges) - 4 rating (9 reviews - 3 trusted reviewers gave it 3.5, 3.5, 4.0)

I would say Pike Lake is the must play of the list and all the others are great courses that are well worth going out of your way to play. None of them should disappoint according to the reviews.

I do not mean to sound rude or anything, but I am curious why you would ask this given the wealth of info on this site. All your * courses have lots of reviews - most pretty detailed, pictures, maps, etc. What more do you expect to gather? Whatever it is, maybe there needs to be another category added to the course pages.
Asking actual regs from this sight is part of the wealth of info from this sight. In fact it is bonus info. The question to ask after you decide which courses to play in my opinion would be about navigational issues. Playing a course for the 1st time can be a challenge that takes away from enjoying and soaking in your round. walking around sweating searching for the next tee can ruin a round for me.

Personally, I would hit Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula instead of Pymatuning. In the general area, and LSP is a great course.
I think I'll take your & DH's advice on this.
It will be cool to drive from the NC mountains and play our first course of the trip on Lake Erie. I really want to mix in some fun short courses, which is sometimes hard to figure out just from the ratings. Any suggestions ?
June 8
Lake Shore
Sims
June 9 (Cedar Point)
East Harbor
June 10 ???
Aumiller ?
Upper Sandusky ?
Hedges Boyer ?
Roscoe Ewing
Freelander
June 11
Lincoln Park
Arboretum-Spiker
Deis Hill
June 12
Great Seal
Pike Lake
June 13
Mt. Airy
Lincoln Ridge
June 14
Idlewild

Plus, there are lots of courses that I would rate highly but have a preference of one over the other(s) if you were on a schedule and had to—or wanted to—choose just one.

The courses near in PA near Pittsburgh are a good example: Knob Hill, Moraine & Deer Lakes are all great courses, but having played them all I would suggest Deer Lakes if one had to choose just one.

Last edited:
Grand Opening for the Charles Mill DGC will be announced soon. possibly as soon as this week.

I think you'll like it. you might not like to pay to enter, but I think you'll like the DGC even if it's only 9 holes.

and Lakeshore Park in Ashtabula is one of my personal favorites of all the DGC i've played and should not be missed.

Thanks! I am not averse to playing to play seeing how I haven't had to once in 9+ years. If the course is worth it of course :)

You should definitely play the Brent Hambrick Memorial, its not right off 71, but its worth. Another that you should try to get in, while also not right off 71, is Roscoe Ewing in Medina, this course has a lot of history, and its a lot of fun.

I would agree with this and add Arboretum-Spiker in Canton.

yeah ... I know it sucks having the first two (arguably signature) holes closed til July, but Brent Hambrick Memorial deserves to be on most peoples wish list if not courses played. I do have home boy bias for it ... but a lot of people that don't live around here agree.

We are taking off at 5pm today, I'm stewing over taking I-79 or I-77.
The I-77 route looks more direct and would have us hitting Deis Hill,A-Spiker,Lincoln Park first, but puts Sims and Lake Shore out of the way as far as going to Cedar Point.
I-79 gets us in perfect position to hit Lake Shore, Sims and maybe Osbourne on the way to Cedar Point.
If we take I-77 and skip Sims and Lake Shore, we would avoid the Cleveland traffic and could easily pick up Hambrick and Blendon Woods, but I really hate to pass up the uniqueness of playing Beside Lake Erie.
Other courses on the bubble right now are;
Hedges Boyer
Aumiller
Gordon Holton
Hudson Springs
Comments ?

I don't know how many is in your party or if you guys sleep until noon, but you should be able to play all of the mentioned courses in a 3 or 4 day period. I average 5 to 6 courses a day when I'm on the road.

Don't know for sure about Charles Mill DGC, they had the baskets last fall and have waited til now to put them into the ground, so who knows. It going to be a good challenging 9 hole course for all skill levels. They have camping available on site and it's minutes (10 min. tops) from the I-71/ rt. 30 interchange. Yeah you might have to pay a fee, but what's a couple $$. I don't like to pay taxes, but I pay em so what's a couple bucks if you have an opportunity to play a decent DGc. (and with this course come tournament time (if everything works out), we've got a rabbit up our sleeve that will be one of the kind of anyDGC anywhere in the WORLD, that I know of. so keep your fingers crossed of our secret. with the hope that it comes true:D and please help support this course by going to it sometime)

Don't want to throw another wrench in your way, but I played a virgin course (#633) yesterday as I helped the course designer, Mr. Scott Campbell with the usage of my truck to load up the last 5 baskets and take them around the Malvern, Ohio DGC at Tank park (off of rt. 43, this makes 9 (soon to be 10)DGc's within a 1/2 hour drive of Canton, Ohio. I heard that after next weekend work day that they'll have footboards and tee signs in for better enjoyment. If you'd like to help out, hit Scott with e mail at Scott Campbell [email protected] [/email] or [url][email protected] . Scott was telling me during my guided tour that they plan to add 9 more for a sweet 18 hole DGc in Malvern by years end, so again please support Malvern with care and dignity.

Have fun and be safe and watch out for the Highway patrol on rt. 30, especially around Wooster and Canton. I have a friend who's a patrolman and he always says to me...... 7 your fine and 9 your mine. but when on rural route and going through little burgs, I would go the posted speed limit.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful advice. 80.00 will take you a long way in a Toyota Prius, but we had to cut the trip short and never made it to Cincy. I really hate missing Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges), but we did play;
Deis Hill
Roscoe Ewing
East Harbor
Sims (2)
Moraine
Knob Hill
Deer Lakes (partial due to rain)
Interestingly, when we voted on our favorites on the way home, Sims was the only course in the top 3 for all of us. We played it Wednesday morning, ate at Scotti's and then decided to play it again rather than driving to Lake Shore. Scotti came out and talked to us and he was great, then served up the best calzones that we have eaten anywhere ! What a great ambassador for disc golf.
My favs were;
Roscoe Ewing
Moraine
Sims
Special thanks to Dan Hyzer for urging us to play Roscoe Ewing and Sims.
Otherwise we would have missed them for sure.

You should go up 75 through Dayton, then over on 70 to Columbus, then up 71 to Cleveland ... in Dayton hit Belmont and Englewood.

You should go up 75 through Dayton, then over on 70 to Columbus, then up 71 to Cleveland ... in Dayton hit Belmont and Englewood.
I think it's a bit late for that.

Dayton could still be in the future mix.
The reason we opted for PA instead of Cincy this time is because we have a family member moving to Nashville in July. N-ville will be a nice starting point for a I-65/I-75 loop (Bowling Green/Louisville/Cincy/Lexington).

Latest posts