• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OK , I am pissed at ESPN

Get the clash vids, they are good

I hear ya. I got interstate kidnapping charges because there was a bake sale with $2 brownies so I grabbed 5 of them, threw them in my candy van and slapped a tenner on the counter...apparently that isn't what they were talking about.

That took me way too long to get. I was thinking "Gee, why did he get in trouble for that?"

As for the topic, I think there is a fan base of about a billion chinese that wouldn't mind seeing table tennis. It is a communist plot!

Atleast there is a ball. Explain how Poker is a sport and why there are countless hours of it on ESPN 2? I don't mind it but it DOES NOT BELONG ON SPORTS CENTER!!!! It deserves its own channel like the golf channel. There is no athleticism in poker what so ever!

Atleast there is a ball. Explain how Poker is a sport and why there are countless hours of it on ESPN 2?
Because there's an audience that demands it be there.

There is no athleticism in poker what so ever!
Some people say this with respect to auto racing as well (its just drive fast and turn left right?). In both cases, I would respectfully disagree. I've been told auto racers can sometimes lose 10 pounds over the course of a race from dehydration. Similarly, it takes more physical ability than you think to sit in a chair and be alert for 12-14 hours of playing cards. That's something you don't really see in the nice edited down two hours that ESPN shows you.

Oh you mean the East Coast Sports Network, I gave up watching them about 10 years ago. They are tho most biased piece of crap station in the world. Not even worth worrying about. If DG ever does go to television Id much rather see it on VS or something like that.

I think our best shot at a cable channel airing anything DG would be with G4...they're airing some freestyle-walking "championships" this month (like skateboarders without skateboards), so it seems like they've grabbed the market for alternative/obscure sports that has a hefty teenage/20-something following. We should hit their message boards and search like we did ESPN.

Oh you mean the East Coast Sports Network, I gave up watching them about 10 years ago. They are tho most biased piece of crap station in the world. Not even worth worrying about. If DG ever does go to television Id much rather see it on VS or something like that.

Not VS. Not until they and Direct TV get over this pissing match they have going on. Hockey season has started and Direct refuses to air VS. At least we have Center Ice for free for a couple more weeks.

If we want to be taken seriously lets break the weed smoking image that our sport started from rather than continuing it or defending it. Say what you will about the legalization of weed, debate all you want, but for now its illegal and its all most folks think when they hear Disc Golf. To change that we need to change the weed culture of DG and not just turn a head to those that do it in public while playing. We have had multiple threads on the subject and many just defend their rights to do something illegal rather than consider the damage it continues to do to the image of Disc Golf. All they do is argue and eventually the thread has to be shut down. Do what you want alone off the course, but lets change the image of our beloved sport and it will be taken more seriously by others.

I mean in previous threads people mentioned playing in sanctioned PDGA tournaments and seeing players smoking weed. How is ESPN or anyone else going to take us seriouly when our best players smoke weed at tournaments, let alone alone on a course? Unless we make a change, no one will accept us as a real sport.

It doesn't look like the countless pro football, basketball, et al. players that have been arrested/prosecuted/convicted of their numerous illegal-substance-indulging behaviors have turned people off to those sports. I don't think we'll ever totally separate the pothead/hippie image from DG any more than the redneck/NASCAR correlation will cease.

As for the argument that it's even illegal, that statement casts a broad umbrella over the now 33 states that have either implemented marijuana for medicinal use or decriminalized it. We're at a big turning point here; the question is what stance the naysayers will take when inevitably it's allowed (taxed and regulated) nationwide? How will its use by DGers reflect on the community then?

I just make these points because as we talk about the future of DG and whether or not the pot-friendly image stalls its growth, we should look at where our country stands now in terms of these draconian drug laws...as I stated, we're getting closer to nationwide medicinal/decrim status, so why argue against its use before/during/after throwing a round as if it's still the Reagan era? Consuming alcohol seems to go hand-in-hand with a number of sports and activities (hence the number of bar-sponsored softball and volleyball leagues, not to metion darts and pool)...

End Prohibition!...and end threadjack! :)

It doesn't look like the countless pro football, basketball, et al. players that have been arrested/prosecuted/convicted of their numerous illegal-substance-indulging behaviors have turned people off to those sports. I don't think we'll ever totally separate the pothead/hippie image from DG any more than the redneck/NASCAR correlation will cease.

As for the argument that it's even illegal, that statement casts a broad umbrella over the now 33 states that have either implemented marijuana for medicinal use or decriminalized it. We're at a big turning point here; the question is what stance the naysayers will take when inevitably it's allowed (taxed and regulated) nationwide? How will its use by DGers reflect on the community then?

I just make these points because as we talk about the future of DG and whether or not the pot-friendly image stalls its growth, we should look at where our country stands now in terms of these draconian drug laws...as I stated, we're getting closer to nationwide medicinal/decrim status, so why argue against its use before/during/after throwing a round as if it's still the Reagan era? Consuming alcohol seems to go hand-in-hand with a number of sports and activities (hence the number of bar-sponsored softball and volleyball leagues, not to metion darts and pool)...

End Prohibition!...and end threadjack! :)

As I stated, here it comes......the Make it legal argument. Sigh....Look Medicinal is not what we are talking about, we are talking about players smoking pot IN TOURNAMENTS! Yes, pro ball players of every sport may smoke pot, but they do not do it DURING COMPETITION!? Come on, the point is the world won't take us seriously until we do and fix this. Table Tennis would not be on TV, on any cable network, if the players were smoking weed right before taking to the table. That is all we are talking about, not legislation and medical issues. Casual pot smoking has no place in our sport, tournament or in public parks, and to spread and grow we must get rid of the acceptance and clean up the Disc Golf image.

And I am not changing the thread topic, this is what we need to do to be accepted by the media as a legit sport. Oh and I agree if the Country changes its stand across the board and taxes and regulates it then it becomes a non issue. But that time is not now and its not nearly as close as you make it sound, so until then this is what we need to do to help our sport grow. One of the most importanat things we can do is to shake off a very negative image.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the biggest draw to the sport is that it isn't big.

Here is some things that would happen if disc golf got big:
1) No free play
2) People getting way too serious about the sport, creating a dress code, etc. - turning it into Golf
3) Courses would get so damn crowded that you would have to arrange a time in advance to play - turning it into golf
4) Many more

Personally, I hope it stays the way it is so that I can enjoy the sport at my leisure without hurting my wallet

Glass house's and stones

I won't even pile on to the whole legalization of weed issue. It is too complicated an argument to win or lose on a disc golf website. My only contribution to this thread is F*** the media and their approval or support of disc golf or any other sport. They have proven themselves as a group to be as corrupt and degenerate as both our big political parties and most of our gangs and organizeed crime syndicates. Screw them. Bunch of elitist snobs and pseudointellectuals that took the easiest degree they could get so they could get their muggs on TV or in the paper. Most of the one's I have met are dumb as a stump. I really don't want their acceptance.

Apologies to any disc-chucking media members reading this.

AND, years ago I was a semi-competitve bass fisherman (yes, I know!) out in CA. The bigger that sport gets and the more ESPN gets its hooks into it the worse it gets, and the more A - holes get involved. The only side benefit is more prize money, sales and revenue so there is now tons of great high-end equipment. No thanks. I'll take my ****ty plastic and nice empty course's and not worry about if my local TV sports caster gives a **** about me or my sport.

Drink your beer, smoke your weed and go throw. Don't worry about mass acceptance. It won't help the cause.

A couple years ago, ESPN aired the "World Series of Darts".

People associate Darts with beer, probably more strongly than disc golf with weed. "Planet Darts", by Niall Edworthy, is a documentary style book about the sort-of pro circuit (LOTS of parallels to the PDGA), and it even describes how many of the players get "in the zone" by drinking.

Disc golf is far more athletic than darts, it can be promoted as a healthy outdoor activity as opposed to a pastime practiced mostly in dingy pubs, and yet it isn't on ESPN but Darts has been.

Something to think about.

At a tourney a guy warned me not to toss my disc back to my bag....

He was hitting his glass pipe with everyone on the card...

ah...the anal-retentive nature of some players is one of the reasons i stopped playing tourneys. "i'll stroke ya!" ok, then, maybe "i'll punch ya!".