• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
I've read a lot of the various complaining about the durability of the base plastics of say Innova and Discraft. The first time I read one of those I laughed because back in my day all we had was base plastic and we were happy. I still remember the first monster chunk I took of out my very first DX Roc on a sign.

My first Roc was impaled on a thorn all the way through, somewhere around 1992 or so. I later lost it over the fence at Wilson Park in Mishawaka when they used to have a hole running right beside the boundary fence you couldn't really climb leading up to that triangle shelter thingie on top of the toboggan hill.

I also remember not hearing the term "DX" until way later, like the late '90s, because our base plastic was all we had so there was no need to differentiate it from others. It just was. And if you hit a third tree you had a different disc. (Is it just me or is today's DX plastic way slicker and less grippy than our discs were 25 years ago?)

OH, I have complaints...

1. I used to find more discs than I do today, I'm not sure what has changed. There seem to be many more players now.

2. Skunky smelling kids. It makes me wonder what they would do if actually sprayed by a skunk, assume it's normal?

3. The sun seems colder than it used to. I long for more 100 degree 90 percent humidity days. My tendons loosen up so nicely.

4. My Wraiths no longer fly in easy turnover lines. They mostly hyzer now. I'm not sure why.

5 . Since when did all girl groups become a thing? Oh wait, this is complaints, nevermind.

6. Pickup groups seem harder to find now. I'm not sure if I seem more crotchety to people or if they are less open to strangers. Oh well.

7. Seeing course wear over time is ...disappointing.

What baffles me is the 935+ rated over 40+, 50+ player who routinely play against other age protected players with ratings 50-100 points below them instead of challenging themselves to play in advanced or maybe even the age protected pro divisions. I'm starting to think these dudes have a hidden bully complex (due to being picked on when they were younger) and enjoy getting the chance to "be the bully". lol.. :)

What baffles me is the 935+ rated over 40+, 50+ player who routinely play against other age protected players with ratings 50-100 points below them instead of challenging themselves to play in advanced or maybe even the age protected pro divisions. I'm starting to think these dudes have a hidden bully complex (due to being picked on when they were younger) and enjoy getting the chance to "be the bully". lol.. :)

This is probably pretty regional. I played in an A Tier this weekend and 8 of the 9 AM Masters were over 900. This is fairly normal around here and many of those guys are 50+. I am not one to really bemoan players playing a division for which their rating fits.

If it's tiresome for you reading about it when someone musters the mental energy to deal with it yet again, and only on those occasions when they can be bothered to go through the whole dreary routine for a mostly-hostile audience that values the status quo because they've got theirs, and F anyone else, imagine living it all the time.

You probably couldn't handle it, given how triggering it seems to be just to read about it sometimes.
So stunning and brave. You are a real hero. It's amazing that women were able to achieve anything until you came along and thwarted the patriarchy and their toxic language like "fellas." :clap:
That is not what politically correct means. From Merriam Webster "politically correct adjective
Definition of politically correct
: conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated"

There is nothing bigoted about believing that offensive language should be eliminated.
What does sex or race have to do with politics? I looked up the definition of politics on M-W and the first 4 definitions are derivatives of "The art or science of government." Do you know what is bigoted? Blindly declaring that language is offensive without providing any evidence of why it is actually offensive is rather bigoted. Nobody is the arbiter of language so if you want to overturn thousands of years of common linguistic practice because of your personal feelings then you better have an actually good reason.

So stunning and brave. You are a real hero. It's amazing that women were able to achieve anything until you came along and thwarted the patriarchy and their toxic language like "fellas." :clap:

Okay, I'm going to go through this one time only, because it appears you missed the point. I will not explain this twice.

On page one of this thread, I posted (slyly) the following:

Apparently back in the day everyone who played disc golf was male, if I read the OP correctly.

I say slyly because participation in disc golf being overwhelmingly male is a matter of historical record. I probably have a reputation for seeking inclusion and being vocal about it, and I'm an old fart myself, so it was the perfect opportunity to play a role, take a little bit of a shot at myself and the thread in general, and have some fun.

The OP of the thread niced my comment and replied:

You're right I tend to lean towards a friendly fella kinda vernacular but it's not intended to be less inclusive. I was spending more time on funny poll answers than political correctness. Way to get codgery on it! ;)

He got it perfectly.

And I thought that we were done. Joking comment, acknowledgement by the original poster, winky face, nices all around, we're done. I posted no more in the discussion at all.

Days later and on page six of the comments, you name-checked me and quoted me, and tried to drag me into a thing which I had no part in. I was very curt, because I have no patience for this and would like very much to be doing anything in the world except for interacting with you, since you came at me in bad faith.

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to reach you. All of this is written for the bystanders. They deserve to know where I'm coming from. I fear it's probably wasted on you, however.

Again, I'm explaining this only once. I'm out. Do as you will.

I have no complaints about younger players, but here's what seems to happen frequently, in my experience:

They (defined as anyone under 30, to my learned eyeballs) will come out with a couple of discs, right, and then hold their extra(s) in their off-hand. They then stroll to the edge of the pad, barely even looking up, and then make a move down the pad, without pausing or reflecting or lining up...then just throw a nasty quick-hyzer into a tree. Rinse and repeat. These guys always seem to be wearing flip-flops or boat shoes, you know...you've seen them.

My instinct, always, is to be glad that kids known for being stuck to their phones or video games are actually out here trying something new. Is it an excuse to burn bud and hang out with friends? Sure, in some instances.
In others, maybe there's a real interest in the game. Doesn't matter. I refuse to look at these people as anything other than Fledglings, deserving of our support and best teachings, if given the opportunity.

I am often tempted to say something, anything, that could be encouraging. Instead, I clam up. There is an individual I play with who has no problem shouting at them, as they walk down the fairway, to "Keep the disc flat!" or "You should try to keep your elbow in!" or whatever. These outbursts mortify me.

So the only thing I've ever said, besides, "It's okay, you can still get par from there..." is this:

"Maybe some sneakers...?" But I say it all 'SNEEK-uzz,' so they think I'm not from around here.

At least i dont have back problems yet.

I'm 60 and I don't have back problems yet. Though that's probably because I'm not jumping off the roof through 12 florescent bulbs and landing on my ass in 3 inches of leaves in the back yard, either.

Will turn 60 this year but didn't vote on this because there's no "none of the above" option. Honestly, I'm having so much fun out there that I really can't think of anything annoying about the new disc golf scene. I was away from the scene for 20+ years (played a lot of Frisbee golf in the 80's and early 90's) before returning about 2 years ago. Used to play with a total of 1 disk: a 141 gram Whamo on improvised courses with no tees or baskets. Had a great time but for me the new disc golf scene is just fantastic! I mean, there's proper courses now with baskets, and all these fancy disks! One pleasant surprise: the respect I get on the course. I'm twice as old as most of the folks I encounter and they all seem to look up to me, sometimes even calling me "sir". "Have a nice round sir!" LOL!

Played in a 'throw your age' event last year (set up so the younger guys could play like we do: within a ten year age group), where I asked one of the 40-somethings (who I knew had a bad back & a quick wit), "Hey Phil, what's the best nickname for your division? Ours (50's) is "the Prostate division", so he promptly replied, "the Ibuprofen division."

Not to be outdone, I have a friend who is always funny, who was there in his 60's. I told him what we'd decided so far, and asked what nickname he would choose for his group. Without batting an eye, he said, "...depends".

I don't get the the premise of this poll. At 47 I am just grateful for every day I am still sucking air and playing DG. Playing with young uns makes be feel younger myself and if I show some "punk" how to play and they are out driving me within a year - so what?

Will turn 60 this year but didn't vote on this because there's no "none of the above" option. Honestly, I'm having so much fun out there that I really can't think of anything annoying about the new disc golf scene. I was away from the scene for 20+ years (played a lot of Frisbee golf in the 80's and early 90's) before returning about 2 years ago. Used to play with a total of 1 disk: a 141 gram Whamo on improvised courses with no tees or baskets. Had a great time but for me the new disc golf scene is just fantastic! I mean, there's proper courses now with baskets, and all these fancy disks! One pleasant surprise: the respect I get on the course. I'm twice as old as most of the folks I encounter and they all seem to look up to me, sometimes even calling me "sir". "Have a nice round sir!" LOL!

I have the same feeling when I am out playing and doing my own thing (turning 53 next week
). However there is an interesting dynamic in our area. The non-competitive rec and casual players show that kind of respect. However the tournament playing competitive wannabee sponsored players show the exact opposite. Since I can still outplay most of the younger guys around here, they get hyper competitive and can act like childish D-bags at times.

And the new club around here has ingrained a distrust of anyone over 40 since they see the "old guard" as a threat to their money making abilities, so it is an uphill battle for alot of us over 50 folks.

I don't get the the premise of this poll. At 47 I am just grateful for every day I am still sucking air and playing DG. Playing with young uns makes be feel younger myself and if I show some "punk" how to play and they are out driving me within a year - so what?

To laugh.

I think.

MY complaint is people who either make up their own rules, or think someone else's made up rule is real.

My first Roc was impaled on a thorn all the way through, somewhere around 1992 or so. I later lost it over the fence at Wilson Park in Mishawaka when they used to have a hole running right beside the boundary fence you couldn't really climb leading up to that triangle shelter thingie on top of the toboggan hill.

I also remember not hearing the term "DX" until way later, like the late '90s, because our base plastic was all we had so there was no need to differentiate it from others. It just was. And if you hit a third tree you had a different disc. (Is it just me or is today's DX plastic way slicker and less grippy than our discs were 25 years ago?)

I just played George Wilson for the first time a couple weeks ago for a doubles tourney. 30+ mph winds on wide open tubing hills made for a very frustrating day on a new course! My partner barely throws overstable discs and he had no idea how to play in those conditions. Triangle shelter was kinda cool tho.