• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One Grand Disc Golf Tour!!

The Miniac

Silver level trusted reviewer
Hi everyone!!
Gregg Hosfeld here. I would like to invite you all to visit my blah blah blah-g at "onegranddiscgolftour.com"

On July 4th I left Orlando with 825 courses under my belt. I am trying to play 175 more courses this summer to be the first guy to reach 1,000. I've been wanting to reach that number for a while and, to be quite honest, Ben Calhoun lit a fire under me.

I've listed a new post each day since my departure which includes tales from the tour, course reviews and some interesting photos. I encourage you to start at the beginning and catch up. Due to the enormity of the task at hand, my entries may not be up to the same level as my DGW articles (this could be a blessing for some of you) but I've tried to keep them amusing and/or informative. So far it has been a great trip and you owe it to yourself to read all about it!

Of course, the fuel prices are making this an incredibly difficult tour to finance, so I hope that you will consider purchasing one or more Innova CFR discs to help keep me on the road.

Please visit DISC GOLF CENTER to view the selection of 1kdgt discs. I would very much like to thank Disc Golf Center and Innova Champion Discs for their generous sponsorship.

I regret that I probably won't have much time to get overly involved in responding to emails and this thread since I'm driving and playing most days and then spending the night writing, processing photos, planning out the next day and posting to the blog. (Note I didn't mention sleep or eat)

Hope to see you at the MI worlds!!!
thanks
Gregg Hosfeld-1987 PDGA Champ
Professional Frivolist-The Miniac

PS: PLEASE TELL EVERYONE THAT YOU'VE EVER HEARD OF ABOUT MY EFFORTS AND HAVE THEM CHECK IN ON ME BEFORE THEY HEAD OUT IN THE AM.

Mini courses

From reading the One Grand Tour blog it looks like Gregg Hosfeld is counting mini courses in his course count. I've never seen one, but I don't see how those count as courses. They must be very short and of course not use standard discs or baskets. What do you think?

I hope this doesn't turn out to haunt him later if too many of "the powers that be" question the legitimacy of his count of 1000 if it contains questionable courses. If I was on this quest I wouldn't use them in my count.

This isn't offered as a criticism, but is intended to be helpful-- in the long run.

I have an Am Worlds Star Whippet X and it is a sweet disc. i have problems turning over a lot of my discs but in my quest to test overstable plastic i stumbled upon this gem and good luck turning it over and holding.

Howdy fellas,
What's a mini course?

hey Innovadude, I'll help you sell disc golf swag if you pick me up in the heli!
-JD the DGtourist

Mini golf disc..tiny baskets and all. Usually only set up for Worlds, there are 3-4 permanent courses in Penn, and one in Virginia. I've played about 9- 1999 pro worlds, 2000 pro-am, 2001 am, 2003 junior, 2004 pro-am, 2006 pro, 2007 pro, one in penn

What's a mini course?

A course played with the mini disc markers that are usually used to mark your lie. There are specially made minis that are weighted like regular discs, and they have special small baskets. I've never seen a course, though. Does anyone know the typical range of hole lengths?

Gregg,

Would it be possible for you to write up short reviews of the courses you're playing and post them here? I'm sure your reviews and pictures would be appreciated, especially for courses that don't currently have any information listed.

Just saw that Gregg was in my neck of the woods and I think he missed out on 2 of the best courses in Central PA (Codorus and D.F. Buchmiller). Course, he might have played them during his 825 previous courses played. I missed the Crawdad Cooker and opted to play Quaker's Challenge that day (A. it was incredibly hot and B. that course is insanely hard.)

Keep going Gregg! Best of luck.

how was quaker's challenge course looking? as you might see on my blog on www.discgolfersr.us, when i came through it was just miserable- i didnt enjoy playing it and it was so rough and muddy and full of ivy it was hard to walk down the fairway, watch your disc fly, find it (i lost one) or figure out where the hole was. if a lot of work went in it would be a great course, i hope it has been made one.

Well, it was pretty miserable for me as well. I think they're still fleshing the course out. A lot of the fairways were "rough" and LONG, you really need a strong arm for this course. I might go back in the fall when the foliage is less overbearing and the temperatures are cooler. I'm definitely wearing my hiking boots too, did a lot of walking on some crazy terrain.

It has a lot of potential, and I know it's still young. So, hopefully it'll be a worthy course to play again in the future.

Quaker challenge is indeed rough but they have made great strides in improving it the last few weeks.
I usually play the course about once a week and each time there is significant progress made.
I predicting this course will be a gem come fall time when the weather cools off.
I don't know if they having been spraying but ticks used to be a concern but haven't seen any the last few weeks.

Went back last Saturday. The course has really come around in the last 2 months. It's still a monster of a course, but the fairways were cleared out and the pins were marked well. I meet one of the course designers, who was out setting up for a tournament they had on Sunday. Seemed like a nice guy, very focused on the course (which made since, he had a lot of work to do). I didn't shoot very well (81), but I was blind for the back 9. I want to do a review of this course, but I feel it would be way too premature seeing that the course is still a work in progress.

I will remark that I thought holes 11 and 12 should have been going in the reverse direction, which would have given you a very scenic (overlooking the lake) downhill drive instead of a nearly impossible uphill drive. This could have been accomplished by flipping the layout and having hole 11 where hole 17 was and then up and around. Course now it's a bit too late with all the tee pads in place.

Still, it's a massive course and if you haven't played it, get out and try it. It'll definitely test your skills.

indeed Greg, congrats!

I just missed you at Flip by a week, but can't agree with you more about that magical course. For those that need any more proof that Flip is a top DG course, here are the grand masters own words from his blog:

A disc golfer told me that I should wait to play Flip City for my 1,000th course because after that, I won't want to play anywhere else. A slight exaggeration perhaps, but there was merit to his assertion. Flip City (#902) is a gem! Owner Bill McKenzie bought the 80 acres in 1980 and started on the 37- acre course that summer. You want to build a really sweet course? It only takes 28 years!

Before walking out on the course I thanked Bill for the amount of work I KNOW it takes to build/maintain a personal course. When I came back in after my first round I approached him and said, "You know that comment I made earlier about appreciating your hard work? Quintuple that!"

I'm so glad that my first impression of FC-dgc was with the brand new tee pads with a round extra follow-thru area. Nice! This course is manicured immaculately with rock gardens all over the course. The "Jimmys" are plentiful on the course but nearly all of them are capped by large rocks, which tends to make them look like large mushrooms. More ornamental than obstacles, these mushrooms decorate most of the fairways. The rock moving alone was more work than building an entire course in most places. He used to mow it with a PUSH mower, which took 63 HOURS. This is on top of having a 40-hour a week job. (Stop and ponder that for a moment)

If there is a rating above "A+", Flip City deserves it. There is a "vibe" here that you won't find in a park. I think it could safely be called a reverence.
Flip City dgc is not just a disc golf course, it is a destination!

Latest posts