• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

opinion on additions to my bag

andyclpp

I am kinda new to the sport like I have mentioned before but i was looking for some opinions on good new disc i should add to my bag? I only drive around 225-250 ft
Bag now includes:
Champ beast
Champ Leopard
Star Leopard
2 Dx wriaths
dx valkyrie
Champ Monarch
DX archangel
Dx avair
dx xd putter
dx Shark
dx Leopard
dx roc

If you have any good opinions on innova disc please let me know
Thanks for all replys

You might expand your collection of midrange discs. The Innova Coyote has a pretty strong following.

Take everything but the Roc and the Aviar and put them in the closet. Make a pledge not to even look at them until all of the following are accomplished:
  1. You can throw the Roc 300 ft and land it within 30 ft of where you intend.
  2. You can putt 8 of 10 with the Aviar from 15 ft out.
  3. Six months have passed.
That's my humble opinion. Good luck, and most of all, have fun!

Take everything but the Roc and the Aviar and put them in the closet. Make a pledge not to even look at them until all of the following are accomplished:
  1. You can throw the Roc 300 ft and land it within 30 ft of where you intend.
  2. You can putt 8 of 10 with the Aviar from 15 ft out.
  3. Six months have passed.
That's my humble opinion. Good luck, and most of all, have fun!

You want him to closet all his Leopards too? You must have studied under Pai Mei. ;)

I suggest trying another brand like Discraft for your next purchase. You already have a nice arrangement of Innova, but give something else a try. I started out with only Innova for a while and finally decided to try Discraft and I ended up loving them. I carry both Innova and Discraft and like my discs from both equally. My two favorites in my bag right now are my Discraft Avenger (FLX) and Innova Champion Spider. Many online stores carry dozens of disc golf brands :)

You want him to closet all his Leopards too? You must have studied under Pai Mei. ;)

Another Tarantino fan? Outstanding!

I did not study under Pai Mei, but instead made the same mistake many beginning disc golfers make: your disc isn't going where you want? Buy a different disc. It took me a long time to figure out that I needed to throw the same disc over and over and over to learn the basics of the drive, flight paths, disc characteristics, and consistency necessary to playing good disc golf. Once I did, my game benefited significantly.

Granted, I went from "horrible" to "not so bad," but still. :)

Until next time, I will be content to "walk the earth."

I'm not sure I would get more. I am a new DG'r as well and have a about 10 discs. I went through a phase where I wanted more even though I had not mastered the discs I have. I would over trow my Roc b/c it was lighter than my T-bird.... I would shoot off to the right b/c my star wraith was more stable than my Orc....etc..

So i fought the urge, I even stopped playing with a couple of disc until I felt my technique getting better. I still feel like I am learning but I have improved and have an urge to learn my discs more.

Actually... I did buy disc's but gave them away... could not pass up a deal on some X-outs...

I only drive around 225-250 ft
If this is the case, the following discs really will do you no good:
Champ beast
2 Dx wriaths
Champ Monarch

They are too fast for the power level you are at right now. You would be better off setting these aside for now.

For drivers that leaves you with:
dx valkyrie
dx Leopard
Champ Leopard
Star Leopard
DX archangel

These are all understable drivers, so there is a lot of overlap with these discs. I'm not quite sure how I would decide what to throw with all these in the bag. I'd recommend keeping the Leopards as your control discs and choose either the Valk or the AA for your distance disc.

I'd also recommend a DX Banshee as an overstable driver. It is handy for forehand shots, thumbers, forehand rollers and other fun stuff. As you improve, you will be able to use it as a headwind driver. Sometimes you just need something overstable.

For midranges you have:
dx Shark
dx roc

These overlap A LOT. Pick one and shelve the other one.

For putts and approaches you have:
Dx avair
dx xd putter

Again, a lot of overlap between these two discs. Pick one.

I think that will allow you to simplify your game. You won't have to spend a lot of time trying to decide between which two or three basically similar discs you want to throw, and you can concentrate more on executing your shots.

Just my $.02.

I'm with the guys that are saying to downsize your bag until your game really starts improving. Most of the top level pros carry a lot of discs but they are repeats of the same models. They need these extras for subtle variations in shots or back-ups in case one gets lost. They don't necessarily carry one of each model for specialty shots. They know how each model behaves and then make the appropriate adjustments. If a few different types of discs work for them, should be good enough for the rest of hackers. LOL Based on what you already have, I would go with the Leopard, Roc and Aviar. Once your driving gets better, I would throw the Valkyrie or Wraith back in there. And when you are ready for forehands and overhands, I would agree with Three Putt on the Banshee. Good luck!

Thanks again for everyones opinion I have found recently all i really use is the leopards and the roc and the xd putter. I really appericate the info on straight mid ranges

You might also want to look at a DX Stringray. Great starter disc because it's easy to throw and once it gets beat in a little it will make a good turnover disc. When it gets really beat in, it's great for back hand rollers.

Champ beast
2 Dx wriaths
Champ Monarch

They are too fast for the power level you are at right now. You would be better off setting these aside for now.

dx valkyrie
dx Leopard
Champ Leopard
Star Leopard
DX archangel

These are all understable drivers, so there is a lot of overlap with these discs. I'm not quite sure how I would decide what to throw with all these in the bag. I'd recommend keeping the Leopards as your control discs and choose either the Valk or the AA for your distance disc.

I'd also recommend a DX Banshee as an overstable driver. It is handy for forehand shots, thumbers, forehand rollers and other fun stuff. As you improve, you will be able to use it as a headwind driver. Sometimes you just need something overstable.

For midranges you have:
dx Shark
dx roc

Dx avair
dx xd putter

I think that will allow you to simplify your game. You won't have to spend a lot of time trying to decide between which two or three basically similar discs you want to throw, and you can concentrate more on executing your shots.

Just my $.02.
This is realllly good advice.
I just joined and you are my favorite poster so far

Advise is a tricky thing. You can come off sounding like a know-it-all, which I often do. I only suggested these things because he asked.

Something I fail to mention when I give a piece of advise like this is that I know this stuff because I already made these mistakes. I had a bag with an Aviar, and Phantom +, an XD, a Shark, a Spitfire, a Roc and a Voretx. They were all putt and approach or midrange discs, and they overlapped so much that there was no rhyme or reason as to which one I threw when. When I messed up a shot, I tended to think "I used the wrong disc" rather than "I didn't pull that shot across my chest very well, didn't get any snap and it hyzered out." Blaming the discs for my form problems didn't help me improve as a player. Once I simplified my bag, I was able to concentrate more on what I was doing rather than what I was throwing.

Pick one stable/slower of each: distance driver, fairway driver, mid-range, and putter, and become vary familiar and comfortable with them. From your list, I'd choose:

Champ Leopard
dx valkyrie
dx xd putter
dx roc

I started with an Aviar, Shark, Leopard, and Beast, and that was sufficient most of the time - and made me work on throwing each disc in slightly different ways to make in behave as needed.

Three putt thanks again Often when I miss a shot I do think well I used the wrong disc but I think its mostly technique now. My disc tend to go straight til about 225 then takes a sharp left, the drivers i bought i was told would be easier to keep straight but I have found lately I love the star and champ leopard

Champ beast
2 Dx wriaths
Champ Monarch

dx valkyrie
dx Leopard
Champ Leopard
Star Leopard
DX archangel

For midranges you have:
dx Shark
dx roc

Dx avair
dx xd putter

Just my $.02.

QFT

^^ Really is sound advice

Id go with a Valkrye, Leopard, Roc, Aviar

Id add in a Predator for your overstable, though I have heard good things about the aforementioned Banshee.

When I was brand new to the game, some guy saw me practicing and he came up and handed me a Polaris LS. It changed my life. I could throw it straight with very little fade. Then after about 6 months, it started flipping on every throw and I knew it was time to graduate.

My point is this. The polris LS is like baby food. If you go straight for the meat when you leave the milk, you will choke! Cut your teeth with the LS or a simlar disc. Then move up accordingly.

Latest posts