• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opinions on distance

Apathy

Par Member
I work on putting and accuracy and approaches but always stress the most over the next level of distance I can get to. I can now throw real close to 400' consistently. I am sure my form could use some work but was just curious at what magical distance number are we aiming for? I know the obvious answer is to throw as far as our body will let us but realistly speaking how far is that. I hear Avery Jenkins can throw like 550', should he now start practicing trying to break 600?
I guess what Im getting at is if I played Basketball id be real cool to dunk. But seeing as I am 5'8 and white that probably isnt a great goal. At what point is this something to work towards or god given ability?
Just curious what others thought, Ive been in a distance slump and dont appear to be breaking it no matter how much field time I put in.

Nautical miles

I'm kind of happy at my distances so far for both sidearm and backhand as they go where i want them most of the time. I think it doesn't matter how far but how accurate the shot is. my longest consistent distance is probably about the average distance pull off in the stage 3 plateau, i can throw at the stage 4 but not too consistently as i've been throwing with a bad height (feels like 50'+) and tip up shots. but hey, the avg holes are about 300-400 ft if you can hit that distance you should be happy.
my home course there are still 2 holes that elude my birdy run.
hole 7 dogleg right about 375' away i'm guessing, and hole 12 about 375' and uphill so it throws like a 400' shot.

Takeichi said:
my home course there are still 2 holes that elude my birdy run.
hole 7 dogleg right about 375' away i'm guessing, and hole 12 about 375' and uphill so it throws like a 400' shot.

hole 12??? uphill :?:

yes that hole
i always over pull on that one making a shot look really bad

Man, this has been discussed in just about every distance thread :)

Most people should be able to throw 350' if nothing they are doing is horribly wrong in their form. Taking that into account, I believe if you can throw 400' on demand, you're doing fine. Unless you're going for the pros, this means that you're doing nothing terrible with your form and at least something right. If you improve your timing, you can get even further.

With 400' of driver distance, you should be able to throw 330'-350' with a midrange and at least 300' with a putter. This will allow you to throw most of your golf shots with a control disc with the least amount of risk (big skip, strong fade, etc. if you're off course).

For me, I would be talking almost dead straight throws, not huge 100' wide S curve shots. if you can throw a 350'+ tunnel type shot, then it allows you lots of options in your golf game.

Should you develop over the years and get more distance, great, but if you don't , the majority of courses should be within your reach to score well. Sometimes it's not how many birdies you get but how may bogies everybody else gets :)

Accuracy is often quoted, but it goes hand in hand with distance. having great accuracy but only 150' drives doesn't help you. Just like having 500' drives in the wrong direction doesn't help you.

In the field and on the course a few times thrown 400 with LFs and destroyers but I am not getting my mids over 300 very often. What am I doing wrong? I am probably just not getting them high enough in the air is my guess because I generally keep things low and I feel like that is probably the problem. My putters also need to be going longer than they are flying too. Height has always been an issue for me, I really need to figure out how to throw higher than 15' in the air with nose down.

Anyone who can throw 350' with a roc can throw 420-450 with a modern driver or they have bad driving form. In answer to your question I want to throw 10ft farther today than 6 months ago. I have about maxed out the provided benefit in adding D so I focus primarily on upshot accuracy and putting but it is always fun to push the envelope. @ around 400ft teebird power on a golf line you can reach most any hole that aren't true par 4. I would say that could be a good goal, at least until you reach it. :D

Micah said:
Anyone who can throw 350' with a roc can throw 420-450 with a modern driver or they have bad driving form.

I know somebody that does about 350' with a roc, but always seems to get the drivers a little nose up and they stall out. the midranges aren't as sensitive.

Apathy:

i don't really care man. kidding :p (my bad joke for the day).

less than 1% of disc golfers can go > 430' on a line drive.

there's maybe like 5-10 people in the world that can go > 500' on a line drive.

basically, it's the bell curve, and how far along it is up to you. i know 6-8 pros that can go 450'+ and are ~5'8" (a couple of them go 600'+), just as there's a handful of 5'8" basketball players that can dunk (and i know there's a few 5'8" guys who can do a 360 dunk).

the middle 2/3 of the bell curve are basically people who go 220-360'.

btw, the majority of the people that can bomb naturally developed power. only a handful i know ever lingered for a long period of time at say 350' and then had a breakthrough that took em to 425'+.

Blake_T said:
Apathy:

i don't really care man. kidding :p (my bad joke for the day).

less than 1% of disc golfers can go > 430' on a line drive.

there's maybe like 5-10 people in the world that can go > 500' on a line drive.

basically, it's the bell curve, and how far along it is up to you. i know 6-8 pros that can go 450'+ and are ~5'8" (a couple of them go 600'+), just as there's a handful of 5'8" basketball players that can dunk (and i know there's a few 5'8" guys who can do a 360 dunk).

the middle 2/3 of the bell curve are basically people who go 220-360'.

btw, the majority of the people that can bomb naturally developed power. only a handful i know ever lingered for a long period of time at say 350' and then had a breakthrough that took em to 425'+.

You talking Golf D for the 5'8 guy or open field? If its the latter I may be one of the 8. :lol:

I threw my farthest shot ever at worlds this year which was 564 with a Surge.

Last year at the end of summer my longest drive was just at 330. Now this year, out of the blue, I can suddenly go past 330 with just the same effort. I think more than often its a matter of time. The more you play the longer your throw gets. Personally, if I ever am able to reach 400' I would be happy. Most of the courses that are out there right now don't require you to throw farther than that. Accuracy I think is more important that distance. Even though I was hung up on distance for a while also.

Crossed Reality said:
And to think I'm happy that I'm consistently getting accurate distance at 275' now...which is also close to my max.

I'm working on it.

You're not alone. I'd be happy to stay at 250' max D forever if I could do it with accuracy. 250' out and 80' off my intended line is my reality right now. Also working on it.

If your player rating is under 1015 and can throw 400 regularly I'd recommend focusing your attention on other disciplines than distance.

Higher priorities would likely be:

Putting
Course management
-proper risk assessment/calculation
- identifying and playing to your strengths during competition
- playing within your abilities, play your game

Developing consistency in specialty shots such as rollers, sidearm, etc

It's very possible to play 1000 rated golf at many courses with just 325' distance.
Having 400' distance you could shoot 1030 golf at most courses if your other aspects are developed.

I'm old, injured and relatively weak in the distance dept (~330) and I've shot several tourney rds in the 1015-1022 range. I've had some practice rds that would've been rated around 1045 also. I believe solid putting from 35 and in and keeping your composure are far more important than distance. Spend more of your practice time devoted to your putter and mids.

Latest posts