• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Order of favorite/most used MVP discs.

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
This thread is for the MVP fans who carry a lot of their molds. I've been in love with their discs since I threw my first Ace with an Axis. But now it's getting to the point where I've bagged every one of their molds (some of them more than once). So, I was wondering if you like MVP as much as I do how you decided what discs from MVP you decided not to put in your bag and what ones are thrown the most.

Here's my list from most thrown to least. (don't include your putting putter)

1. Amp
2. Axis
3. Resistor
4. Vector
5. Volt
6. Ion
7. Tensor
8. Shock
9. Tangent

The Shock and Tangent have been in and out of the bag.
(Feel free to comment about why you like a certain disc if you like)

1. Ion. Every putt, and the majority of my upshots. Also used off the tee frequently for holes under 320'.

2. Volt. My go to driver for most of my drives, forehand and backhand.

3. Axis. My favorite and most used midrange.

Those are my most used discs of theirs. The next ones on the list would be the Tensor, Resistor and Shock, which I depend on a lot in the wind but typically use a mold with more glide in average conditions. Tangent would fit here too. While its one of their best molds, the lines I need usually suit my Axis better.

Amps and Anodes would be lower, because I tend to reach for Volts or Ions first, and having a developed forehand I throw those in a lot of situations I could be backhanding an Amp.

Vectors I always get good throws out of, but dropped in favor of an axis/tensor/tangent combo, so it gets the least use.

The Servo is too new to say for sure, but I am expecting it and the resistor to be tied for #4, or it leading.

I've tried most of them, but only one has stuck in my bag...the Amp. What a great turnover disc.

Volt
Tensor

That's it. After trying everything they put out (except the Servo, haven't got that yet) these are the only two that stuck around. Everything else could be covered by stuff I already have...and if it ain't broke, why fix it? Volt is their most unique disc, in my humble opinion. There is just nothing else like it on the market today.

I also use my Nano every shot in competition!

1 - Amp: It just goes and goes. Add a tailwind, and it goes some more.
2 - Tangent: Feels great in the hand and flies nice.
3 - Volt: My go-to stable / slightly overstable driver (Lat64 GL Striker) recently met a watery demise, so I've been using this and liking it more and more.

Tensor, Shock, Resistor, Axis and Vector are all I like, but still has some competition from the Roc, Roc3 and Atlas I carry. So, don't really have a rating on those except to say they are growing on me.

Ion and Anode are two I just can't seem to get a handle on and can't seem to throw properly, so still working with them. The suspect the deep rims combined with the rounded bottoms I suspect are just not lining up with the way I grip them. Need time in a field with them, but every field around here is a 6" deep mud pit at the moment.

Awaiting a Servo to arrive so I can chuck that this week too!

1. Axis - if I can reach it with an axis I will
2. Volt - if an axis can't get there the volt will
3. Ion - is my upshot and sub 200' driver
4. Tied with amp is tangent

I also carry the shock, servo and vector, and resistor. I dropped the tensor for a glider like a powered down servo or even resistor..

Last edited:
Like Mike, I use the Ion for every putt, and most approach shots. So it's by far my most used disc. I probably throw it at least 30 times a round, if not more. Even though a few of those throws are short putts 'cause I missed the first one.

The Amp is my second most used. I use it on almost every tee shot, and on long approaches. I throw it for about 18-20 throws a round.

N Tangent takes the third slot. I use it on anny approaches, and those that are just out of range for my Ion. Maybe 3-4 throws per round.

As you can see, I don't have many throws left for all my other discs. The E Volt is for hyzer drives, Tensor for getting out of trouble, or hyzer approaches. The Servo is a sweet addition that might just make the Volt and Tensor ride the pine more.

I carry the Resistor and Shock too, but they're my least used. The courses I play are wide open so it's rare that I need to work any magic with a very OS disc.

Edit: I forgot the Axis! I'll throw it if there's a headwind and I need a straight approach. It handles the wind better than the Tangent.

Not in the bag are Vector and Anode.

Last edited:
tangent
vector

that's all she wrote. my tangents can handle a pretty good rip, they can go hyzer, turn or do standstill shots. just too damn versatile without punishing every single flaw.

vector, a good long midrange that handles the wind well enough for my purposes. i don't use it much at all, but i love it. when i throw it i can pretty much walk away because i already know where it's landing. also another versatile mold, IMO.

my bag is built around a couple concepts: one, keep it simple. two, when the wind really kicks in, just disc up to something that is more OS. i don't use a super beefy wind-fighting mid because i'd rather use a mid-fairway like the blaze or whippet, so the tensor and resistor automatically get the nix.

when it's too windy for the wizard, i'd probably not want to throw a putter anyway, so the blaze comes out again. if it's within putter range, then the VP.

the only thing i really don't have figured out yet is a higher speed OS disc. firebird, maybe. CPD, i lost mine. :( i have a bottom stamped destroyer but i feel that is too high of a speed to be a true go-to for OS duties. it's ridiculously beefy.

basically MVP doesn't fit into my lineup for too much. i love my wizards, they beat into varying stability. they handle the win, putt like champs. my mids are set. my PDs are not going anywhere, too versatile across plastics. same with destroyers, unless the scorpius or some other high speed driver kicks them out.

MVP doesn't have as many spots as they could in my bag because i search for discs in varying plastics that change flight characteristics.

1. Soft Neutron Ion
2. Neutron Ion
3. Soft Proton Ion

:D

IMO, the Ion is the best putter on the market by far. Great off the tee, great for upshots, great for putting, and that neutron plastic is oh so niiiice

The other molds I've had from MVP have been replaced by:

Anode- was replaced by my seasoned KC Aviars, although I still mix in an Anode once in awhile.

Vector- Liked it for awhile, but has recently been replaced by the Prodigy M2

Amp- not bad but it never replaced my Buzz

1) Ion - this is quickly becoming my favorite disc of all time
2) Vector - sturdier Roc for me
3) Shock - can handle a good rip, still getting used to it

I really can't wait to get my hands on an Axis, Volt, and Servo though

For this Noobie:
P Axis - Two aces with this one
Soft Ion - Go to approach disc
N Anode - Putter
E Vector - Solid flier
N Tangent - On loan, not useful at my home course

1. Soft Ion on nearly every upshot.
2. First Run Volt for most drives.
3. Eclipse Vector which is easily my most loved disc.
4. First Run Amp.

The rest get used pretty evenly, but I would be content with just my Ions and Volt.

Everyone has some great comments about their most used discs so I thought I'd add mine. I didn't want to muddy up the original post.

1. Amp - Go to driver on anything 250-300. There is no other disc I've ever used that gives me more control.

2. Axis - Go to mid range.

3. Resistor - Get out of trouble. Go to sidearm. Placement sidearm approach disc.

4. Vector - Both my Axis and Vector are getting beat in so the Axis is becoming that hyzerflip and anny mid and the Vector is becoming the more straight disc. I've also surprised myself hitting some long sidearm putts with this.

5. Volt - I've got 3. A Proton(174)/Eclipse(170)/Neutron(168) and they're more to less stable from heavier to lighter. They're my line shapers.

6. Ion - This is new or it might be #1 on the list because it's becoming the disc I use for all my upshots. Especially since I've learned how to throw it nose up on up shots.

7. Tensor - This one is brand new and I just love the way it throws. Would not be surprised to see it skyrocket up the list.

The Tangent doesn't get much use because of the Axis. And the Shock's shots are usually covered by one of the Volts or my Avenger which has more fade. If I'm honest it's the Carolina Panthers Blue color which is my favorite that keeps it in the bag.

My most used and favorite MVP discs are actually two different ones.

My most used is the Amp. It is easy distance off the tee, has enough turn to be able to hyzer flip but enough stability to not get uncontrollably flippy. Great line shaper for my noodle arm.

My favorite, though, is the Axis.

I think I am on my fourth try with the Axis since it came out. I have tried it in the past, but was never patient enough to learn its nuances. It takes a little more effort to dial in than other mids, and I wasn't willing to give it time. However, a couple guys I play with absolutely kill it with the Axis, so I decided to finally stick with it, and it has been very rewarding. It just locks onto a line and holds it for days, but is versatile enough to do straight with a baby fade, annies to the ground, or hold up to the wind.

I've been giving the Ion another shot as my putter, but I'm not sure it's going to knock out the Judge. The Servo is an excellent offering that immediately made the bag.

MVP definitely puts out quality discs, and now that some are coming in lighter weights I am intrigued to see where the future takes them.

1. Amp - My workhorse driver. Straight, hyper-flip, annies, hzyers
2. Ion - Upshots
3. Servo - Looks like it is going to be my workhorse driver. Liking it a lot
4. Tangent - Longer upshots, holds any lines
5. Volt - When I need bit more stability/fade than Amp.
6. Resistor - Overstable goodies, overheads, flicks
7. Tensor - Longer upshots when extra stability is needed
8. Axis - Used to be #4 spot, replaced by Tangent, still use for bit longer and bit more stable shots
9. Vector - Extra stability over Axis

Hey everyone....I am just now getting into MVP plastic. I know, i know, what the hell took me so long. I recently got an Ion, Volt, Servo and have a sweet Amp on the way. I have a question about weights though. I have not seen any MVP discs that fall in the 160g to 169g range. I like to throw in the mid 160s but am having a hard time finding MVP discs that fall in this weight range. Does MVP even make discs lighter than 170g?

I bag three and throw them the most in the following order - Amp, Tangent, Shock. The Amp is my go to driver for any situation where the D4 is too much. The Tangent is actually catching up quickly as it vies for my understable mid slot (currently in danger of losing to the M4 though - we'll have to see). The Shock is a first run and therefore not really a Shock, but it's my go-to forehand driver ATM.