• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oregon/Portland Area

Hoss22

Eagle Member
So me and my buddy live up in Tacoma, WA. We're taking our second annual disc golf road trip to Oregon. It's a one day disc golf blowout, usually arriving down there at 8am, and disc golfing until 5pm. The last two times, we golfed Leverich two rounds, then Pier Park two rounds. We're looking to mix it up and try some other courses down there. Our first idea was Blue Lake, but from what I hear, you have to plan for a minimum 3 hr's for 18 holes, and you're frequently waiting on holes for other groups because it can get so crowded. The other thought was hitting the 3 courses at Hornings Hideout. I don't know if it's "epic" enough for our road trip though. It seems like it's more for recreational and not quite tournament style golf if that makes sense. Just a bunch of trees, elevation, and make-shift baskets. I also worry that we may even be held up a bit there with the first time disc golfers messing around in the woods. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the most competitive/best disc golfer, but of were gonna travel, I really want to play a course that'll have that "wow" factor that makes me want to keep going back.

Recommendations?

You could drive down and play Milo.

Or, if you want to play 4 different courses, you could hit Trojan on the way, then McCormick Park, then cut across Cornilius Pass Rd. to Buxton Woods, then a short drive to L.L. Stubb Stewart. That would be a full day. Buxton and Stubb are $5/ea. to play.

I wouldn't skip Meadow Ridge or Canyon at Hornings for the reasons you stated other than you may have to deal with groups if it's a weekend day.

I don't think it'd be possible to play Trojan, McCormick, Buxton and Stubbs in the same day.

If you could, you're a beast! That'd be an epic day, and my hat would be off to you.

So many great courses to play in Oregon. I have been vacationing in that area for a few years now. I would recommend Hornings. The small course -Highland Course- is absolutely fantastic and fun. The others are excellent also. Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge is the most difficult. Trojan has that "wow" factor for me. I would try that out for sure. Just be prepared to throw some discs you don't care about losing if you want to go all out. I filled my bag with extras and a couple of DX I picked up cheap. Lost everything including the two I found over two rounds. I didn't care though - most fun I have had on a course in a long time. If you wanted to play conservative I'm sure the damage could be mitigated. What's the fun in that though.:)

Horning's is definitely worth a visit. The baskets are homemade, yes, but not "makeshift," they're actually PDGA approved. There is a risk of first time golfers, as with any course, but most of them would probably stay on the short course. Actually, if you survived Pier without issue, then you'd do fine at Hornings. In my experience, Pier gets the most crowded of the Portland courses, and also has plenty of beginners. It'd be biting off a lot to play all 3 Hornings courses in one day, Meadow Ridge is a pretty big hike in itself, especially if it's a hot summer day. It's certainly doable to play all 3, and if you do, you won't have any trouble sleeping later, that's for sure. The Highland course (the short one) is actually under appreciated in my opinion. Yes, its a beginner friendly course, but it's a great warmup/cool down course, and totally fun for a putter only round, especially for having a beverage after Meadow Ridge.

Also, as Jeff mentioned, Milo is well worth checking out, especially if it's "tournament style" courses you're after. Timber is also right around the corner if you didn't get your fill at Milo.

Yeah I'd say if you want 'epic' disc golf I'd go out to Milo McIver and play all 27, then a ten minute drove to Timber Park for another 18. Maybe multiple rounds at these courses is doable, although playing them both is a pretty full day. These are both beautiful courses with a lot of challenge and variety, and great facilities.

The Hornings Hideout courses would be another destination where you could get a lot of discing done too, with less driving from course to course. I haven't been to them myself however.

Personally, I would pass on Blue Lake until you've played most of the others mentioned in this thread. Blue Lake is just not that fun to play, in my opinion. Challenging, tear-your-arm-off long holes, but not what I would call fun.

Milo McIver and TimberPark are two beautiful and challenging enough courses that are on opposite sides of the Clackamas by Estacada. Milo is 27 holes and Timber is 21 I believe.

Latest posts