• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] OS Driving Putters

anrew18

Par Member
I currently use an Opto Pure and a Champ Rhyno for driving. Looking for feedback on good OS driving putters in strong plastic. My Rhyno is dark purple and I don't know how I feel about the thumb track on it. Just wanted to get some input on replacements. Currently putting these out around 200-250

I hear good things about the Envy.

If anyone can provide comparisons against the Rhyno in terms of flight I'd appreciate it.

C-Line P3....I love this disc. I carry two of these...one flat(only one I've ever found like this) that is straight stable and one that has a little dome that is fairly beefy.

Evo Wizard, Armor Scale.

Scale is slightly similar to a Rhyno- less glide, very overstable. The Wizard has some more glide to it and a touch less overstable.

I throw both Rhynos and Envies (which kicked long-time Wizards out of the driving putter slot). The Envy is a lot like a longer Rhyno, even feels similar in the hand. The Envy has become so dependable, its slot has expanded to take over some mid-range duties, as well.

envy would be between your pure and rhyno in stability and feels similar as well but no thumbtrack.

A max weight envy will have a little more LSS vs a lighter one. Neutron and proton are both very durable and fly the same. Soft neutron is a really nice feeling plastic if you want more grip from a premium plastic disc.

VIP Harp. A touch more overstable than the Rhyno, as well as a bit glidier. You can throw it max power and it isn't going to turn over.

im not too familiar with a rhyno, but ive been using a Soft Gateway Wizard at 175g for my drving putter. even though its "soft" its actually pretty hard, but still has a good chalky grip so it doesnt slip out of my hand. its extremely stable and fights the wind well for me. and adding a slight hyzer to it has given me great results like an OS disc would give me. For me though i really like it because i only use Wizards for putters so its nice for me knowing that no matter which wizard i grab (soft, super soft, or super stupid soft) for different shots, it always feels comfortable and familiar. also the price is great too, great quality putters for $10. phantom discs has a wide variety including Glo's that i hear are naturally more OS.

Driving putter is a slot I do not really embrace, but I throw with people who bag em. I see Lat 64 Pures, Innova Aviar Drivers, Millennium Big Bead Omegas, Gateway Wizards, Prodigy PA1s, DGA Titanics, Discraft Challengers, Legacy Closers, and yes, even MVP Ions and Axiom Envys. I even have a friend who tees off with an Obsidian Splinter. No shortage of good OS driver putter molds.

I'm working on finding something for this spot. Currently testing the Rhyno, Scale, and Envy. They're all quite good so clear front runners yet.

Armor Scale.

Scale is the be all end all OS driving putter.

...I don't know how I feel about the thumb track on it.
Scale has a thumb track.

VIP Harp. A touch more overstable than the Rhyno, as well as a bit glidier. You can throw it max power and it isn't going to turn over.
Harp gets my vote if you can deal with a bead. Feels a lot like a beaded Pure. Go with a BT Hard and it will beat into a very reliable driving putter.

Envy is also a nice driving putter, but I agree with AFTC that it's going to fall more in between your Pure and Rhyno for stability.

Scrubs.

Scale is the be all end all OS driving putter.

:clap:

The Scale was designed to be the natural OS partner to the already perfect Wizard. I think we succeeded pretty well.

While our premium plastic offerings are limited, we've developed some killer plastics with Gateway and I think that you would be impressed if you were to try out a Scale.

I am also an advocate for the Envy. They aren't really that OS. They are really good at resisting turn but they do not possess a ton of fade even when fresh. For short courses I love bagging a Scale, Envy and Serpent.

i'd try the three most popular beaded putters (wizards, challengers, and beaded aviars) and see what works feels best to you. challengers and avairs can be found in a variety of plastic types.

Breaker has a slight thumb track, but it's smooth. Great OS driving putter, especially in Pro Line.

I forgot about the Harp. I keep hearing REALLY good things about it as well and its shape fits nicely compared to the Rhyno. Just don't know if I would want something that goes faster/farther than the RhYno.

I failed to mention that I use the Rhyno on a lot of tricky upshots. so both the pure and Rhyno get used in the 100 foot range as well.

I'm still on the fence about the Scale. I can't lie after reading as many reviews as I have on it I would love to give it a go. But other than color, the thumbtrack/contoured top is questionable for me. there are many shots where I'm not sure if it is helping me or hooking my shots wide.

Ideally if I could get as close to the Pure mold as I could but OS then the consistency would be great.

Latest posts