• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Out of curiosity - do you throw rare/first runs?

Vintervilan

So, I've come to the point where I started buying first run discs, rares, special editions etc just for the fun of it. But should I throw them or just collect them? I mean, could they potentially be worth money if left untouched?

I throw First Run CE Whippets, First Run Z Nukes, First Run Pinnacle Patriots and Rivals, and OOP Cryztal Flx Zones.

For me, the potential loss in value is not worth keeping them on the shelf. I don't buy discs as investments, I buy them to throw.

yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking aswell. And besides, even if they become collectable, we're not talking alot of cash anyway, right?

I def throw some OOP. I also have a few collectors that I'll never throw, but they represent "backups" to throwers in my bag.

Example: 11x KC Pro Teebirds, Early PFN Pearly Orcs, Augusta Wraiths, *D & S/DS Destroyers, 11x KCP Rocs.

I'm over trying to save any discs for a potential 10 dollars in value jump. I'll just keep throwing my PFN discs and FR Rival, and find suitable replacements when need be.

I have some very good looking discs that I just can't bare to throw. Only have about 5 of those and a stack of 1X Roc3 that I gradually get rid of throughout the year.

yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking aswell. And besides, even if they become collectable, we're not talking alot of cash anyway, right?

It depends on how you define a lot of cash. But in a best case scenario you're probably looking at a net profit in the tens of dollars. But most first runs will gain little to no value at all, so it's a bit of a guessing game.

I currently own three discs that I'm reluctant to throw. A Star Krait Pumpkin Edition, a Limited Edition Kastaplast Kaxe with Birgitta Lagerholm, and a Prodigy F5 Ragna Bydge signature edition. I don't own any regular discs of those molds though, so I kinda want to throw them :p

I carry:
FR S-PDs
CFR PDs
FR Pinnacle Patriots
FR Icon Gauges
Glo Z Zones
Champ Polecats
G9i Wizards

Of course I bought them first hand so they weren't anything more than regular price.

throwing a disc which is costly/not easy to replace is dumb but a lot of people do it-- myself included.

"collecting" discs IMO is more like playing the penny stock market than actual collecting or investing.

I carry:
FR S-PDs
CFR PDs
FR Pinnacle Patriots
FR Icon Gauges
Glo Z Zones
Champ Polecats
G9i Wizards

Of course I bought them first hand so they weren't anything more than regular price.

you played the penny stock game right. :D MOST discs that are actually fairly sought after and collectable were stock prices at one time or another.

I try my best to only throw production run. A couple exceptions would be a DX pumpkin roc3 and the new gstar Gazelles. I stopped throwing Gazelles because they were hard to find in premium plastic, and after never finding a suitable fairway replacement I just gave in decided to buy the factory store ones.

throwing a disc which is costly/not easy to replace is dumb but a lot of people do it-- myself included.

The way I look at it, nothing is irreplaceable. I throw the discs that I feel are best for my game. CE Whippet is one example. It is very hard to replace (although I do have a backup), but I feel that my game is better with it in the bag. If I do get to the point that I need to find a replacement, I have confidence in my ability to adapt to a different mold to execute similar shots.

well generally penny stocks lose their value before you sell its just while you own them you get to be really excited about owning it ........ hmm maybe sell now actually?!

lol.

I throw Pre-Avery Destroyers, a CE Valk, an 11x Firebird, an 11x Teebird, old Pro Leopards, an old Pearly Z Wasp, old Glo Rocs, a CE Rhyno and an old Aviar.

I bought these all years ago and didn't pay a lot for them.

If I lost any of them I could easily replace them, I just don't want to because I like them.

I also carry some stock discs for when I'm worried about possibly losing one of the oldies.

The way I look at it, nothing is irreplaceable. I throw the discs that I feel are best for my game. CE Whippet is one example. It is very hard to replace (although I do have a backup), but I feel that my game is better with it in the bag. If I do get to the point that I need to find a replacement, I have confidence in my ability to adapt to a different mold to execute similar shots.

yeah for sure agree its just with so many new discs coming out all the time and plastics etc it probably holds a player back if anything to be stuck on the OOP old stuff or pay a premium for limited etc. I look at it like soft neutron ions right now which catch $50 even but it wouldn't surprise me at ALL if these become stock before 2015. Lucky I have bought all mine at around stock prices lol. A lot like some new "JL" being as great as the older CE (not OG CE)

depends, usually yes, some no. if they are worth a ridiculous amount then heck no, i bag, box, and/or sell that sucker.
however, innova is one brand i do not throw FRs, at all. not because of collection value, but because production runs are really ever similar in flight to the FR. so i dont want to be hunting for some disc that doesnt exist anymore except at high prices.*

*yes i throw OLFs 1.1 and 1.2 but i have a stack of S and Q that I never paid over MSRP for, and if my first QOLF is still in the bag 7years later, im confident my 20 other ones will last my life time.

I own some first runs of newer discs, I don't throw them becuase I don't love the flight but would of they were molds I like.

Petty much just hang onto them in case someone loves that run and in the future would overpay for it.

Loves me that OOP :clap:

If you've never felt up some PFN or earlier, perfectly preverved/air-tight bagged DX plastic, you've never felt the perfectly textured plastic.

Other than that, I bag a CE QJLS, CE faf Valkyrie, Ontario champ Rhyno, a KC Pro 11x Gazelle, some misc. 11x champ stuff and they all get mega-use.

I have a pristine Pro-line Leo and zippertop CE Rhyno that I probably won't ever throw but about the only OOP I'd feel the need to replace if lost would be the QJLS... so consistent.

Latest posts