• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

overhand plastic

milesd37

I'be been a big fan of the thumber since I started (it was how I'd get through some tight passages at the course I learned on) but.I find now that I'm wanting to use it in new situations, a few midrange shots to be exact.

I use a my firebird for my OH throws, but what other plastics are good for these shots? I'm especially interested in some midrange/approach discs that I can use to get out of some sticky situations...even to hit a few shots that I can either anhyzer or just go over over the low bushes blocking my in shot...

I am a new player but a good friend of mine who has played for years always uses a Champion Monarch in these spots. I am not sure if that his just his preference or if their is a reason behind it.

i dont use a mid. they feel weird in my hand, throwing overhand. its either a putter or fairway (understable for shorter shots, where i want quick rolling action, and something overstable when i want longer, slower rolling action) for me.

Any thrashed DX disc is great for short thumber/tomahawk shots. I don't keep discs in my bag for this, but if I did I'd use a thrashed Cobra for extremely short shots and a thrashed Teebird for slightly longer shots. Not sure exactly what you want in your last comment but it sounds like learning a scooby shot might be what you're looking for.

I don't have a lot of OH distance but am pretty accurate up to 240-250 with it. I typically use a super beat 1st run star excalibur for most stuff and a LE ESP FLX Drone for any shorter stuck in bushes approach shots. I haven't been able to get a hang of the turn on less stable discs throwing OH.

Any thrashed DX disc is great for short thumber/tomahawk shots. I don't keep discs in my bag for this, but if I did I'd use a thrashed Cobra for extremely short shots and a thrashed Teebird for slightly longer shots. Not sure exactly what you want in your last comment but it sounds like learning a scooby shot might be what you're looking for.

The last comment was poorly worded... just an explaination of the.kind of shot I'm using the.OH short shots for, like hole 4 at Griggs here in cbus goes straight out about 200 or so feet then there's a 90 turn to the right into the woods with a 20 or so foot gap, I try to land my drive at the gap, but when I'm little short I could either throw a short anhyzer or OH it over thick bushes and go direct to basket...

My problem now is all my thrashed DX plastic is gone... so I've just just trying to throw my firebird lightly... but it just wants to go further always, hard to find that sweet spot with it to make it go only 50 to 100 feet

I don't think it's really that important what disc you use for shorter thumbers. Pretty much any disc that is not overstable will work. I usually use a Champ Teebird, but really I could use half the discs in my bag for this shot. They each have a little bit different left-to-right movement so I just prefer to stick with the Teebird to keep it simple. For longer thumbers I used to use a Firebird, but have found that the Flick is a little bit further.

For mid shots with overhand I would recommend an understable disc as they turn much quicker. I personally prefer to use a Champion Sidewinder. Another option that you can use it a pancake shot just getting the disc to do half it's flight and then hit the ground on it's top and slide the rest of the way.

For mid shots with overhand I would recommend an understable disc as they turn much quicker. I personally prefer to use a Champion Sidewinder. Another option that you can use it a pancake shot just getting the disc to do half it's flight and then hit the ground on it's top and slide the rest of the way.

What's this pancake shot you speak of? I can think of a few situations that'd be perfect for...

If you use something neutral to under stable it is easier to throw nice thumbers that pancake when they land. Great shot for approaches. I also got pretty good at using a Champ Panther for thumbers. Great for approaches and shorter shots that I didn't want to overthrow using my XXX.

:confused: Some people either need to actually read the OP or get a better understanding of thumbers.
I'm especially interested in some midrange/approach discs that I can use to get out of some sticky situations...

My XXX can get me out of some of the most horrible landings. It can recover from any anhyser to perform some odd flight paths. This was the part I was commenting on. The trident is a fairway driver that is similar, but the roll on that thing when you throw OH is very unpredictable.

Ive been OHing with a DX Whippet since the loss of my beloved KC Pro Whippet. This an excellent short to mid range OH disc for me. Can Scoobie and Pancake it well enough too. Occasionally use a Banshee if I need more height.

Last edited:
I use a star teebird for distance thumbers(200'-250')
a champion firebird for 150'-200' and a star wraith for under 150'