• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overlapping Discs?

seriously though...

think in your head which discs get pulled out the least over a few rounds. Write it down if you have to. Throw a practice shot with a disc that you think "overlaps" after throwing your real shots to compare.

Thoughts on your drivers...

Star X-Caliber 172g (Maximum Distance FH Driver)
- Keeper, can cover all your overhand shots and shots that fade even harder than your orc.
Star TeeRex 172g (First FH Driver)
- Use this when you need a BH into a headwind or a BH Hyzer.
Star TeeBird 175g (Primary FH Driver)
- Try using this for Backhands, and I think it might help cover what you do with your orc.

ESP XL 174g (Primary BH Driver)

ESP Surge 174g (just picked it up recently and want to learn to throw it)
- well you're learning it... so figure out how it fits, but I can see it becoming your goto for long open drives,
Champ Valkyrie 172g (BH Driver - Fades more than the XL)
- all your other drivers fade more than the XL... dump this sucka!

Champ Orc 167g (BH for hard fades and thumbers/tommies)
- Between your Xcalibur and your Teebird, you should have hard fades at most ranges covered... use your xcalibur for overhands.

Midranges and approach shots i think the buzz has you covered... experiment using your Aviar for strait/turnover approach/drives. If you need short hyzers, pick up a Gateway Demon and you are covered. Don't like gateway? try a Drone.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I am almost completely convinced to drop the Valk and TeeRex. What would another mid allow me to do? Maybe I am just not throwing all the types of shots I should be but I haven't run into a problem with just my Buzz yet. What kind of shots would I be using these discs for: Drone, Wasp or Roc?

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I am almost completely convinced to drop the Valk and TeeRex. What would another mid allow me to do? Maybe I am just not throwing all the types of shots I should be but I haven't run into a problem with just my Buzz yet. What kind of shots would I be using these discs for: Drone, Wasp or Roc?

Since you play forehand, I think you should try out using the Drone as a forehand approach disc. That is mostly what I use mine for and only a couple times each round, but it works really well on an L shaped left to right shot, pin behind a tree, etc. Other that that I don't use my Drone too much except for shorter BH, "S" shaped shots, or shots over water when I need to count on the fade back to land. Oh, and of course, I use it more on windy days.

Here's something I seen from Nate Doss on the Discraft site.....
He said when he plays he only keeps his primaries along with a couple backups of the same.

So if you throw your Valkrie the most for BH dives have a couple of those, same if you use a Buzz for FH, and a Roc for Midracnge, and Aviar for puts.

So instead of having 20 some discs now you g0t 15, which means a lighter bag, and in turn, you dont get as tired out carrying it. Which in the end can mean a win or a lose.

Since you play forehand, I think you should try out using the Drone as a forehand approach disc. That is mostly what I use mine for and only a couple times each round, but it works really well on an L shaped left to right shot, pin behind a tree, etc. Other that that I don't use my Drone too much except for shorter BH, "S" shaped shots, or shots over water when I need to count on the fade back to land. Oh, and of course, I use it more on windy days.

I actually play FH and BH. I have a little more power FH and a little more control BH. I have been thinking about picking up a Drone or a Wasp for a while now. Which one would better complement the Buzz?

I actually play FH and BH. I have a little more power FH and a little more control BH. I have been thinking about picking up a Drone or a Wasp for a while now. Which one would better complement the Buzz?

Tough call, I use both at various times. I would have to go with the Drone only because it is so much more differnent than the Buzz giving you more unique shot choices. The Buzz and Wasp are similar enough that you don't gain alot by having both when you are trying to reduce the number of discs in your bag.

Compared to the Buzzz, the Drone has significantly less glide but provides dependable distance relative to the amount of power you put into it. I'm really starting to reach for it more than my Buzzz.

Compared to the Buzzz, the Drone has significantly less glide but provides dependable distance relative to the amount of power you put into it. I'm really starting to reach for it more than my Buzzz.

Interesting, that might be my next purchase because I have recently found my Buzz gliding past the basket.

I would love to find a mid with stability like the Buzzz but glide like the Drone. It's added a lot of confidence to my approaches when I didn't think I could be more confident (throwing the Buzzz). The Drone has a serious tendency to skip and certainly isn't right for all situations.

i think we need to know your most thrown discs, from what i can see there is overlap between:
XL and valkrie
Surge and Orc
X caliber and Teerex

these discs aren't identical to each other but i think that you could pick one or the other out of those three groups of two, also you should be throwing midranges a lot more

I would say lose either the xcaliber or the teerex, and lose either the xl or the valk. All good discs but they seem too close to one another as far as their purpose. JMO.

I would love to find a mid with stability like the Buzzz but glide like the Drone. It's added a lot of confidence to my approaches when I didn't think I could be more confident (throwing the Buzzz). The Drone has a serious tendency to skip and certainly isn't right for all situations.

Nebula.

The thing that bugs me about the Buzzz, other than that I have trouble throwing it, is that it's so darned straight. When you need to get around a tricky spot between trees, it's nice to have something with more curl in its flight, so you can plan a nice loopy s-curve with your mids, or have it really bite into your hyzer or anhyzer line. The Buzzz is great when you need to throw straight, but not so much (in my experience) when you need to throw crooked.

To sum up, look to put more mids in your bag.

I don't see a turnover disc.
You need something like a Sidewinder or a Roadrunner as a turnover driver. The Roadrunner will stay turned over when it is brand new.
Also a Midrange that will turn over like a Stingray. I carry three midrange discs. A Roc (primary midrange Very stable). A Stingray (thumbers, tomahawks, overhand rollers, hyzer or annhyzer, it does everything but fly straight) It helps if your Stingray is about 20 years old and beat up pretty good.
A coyote is my third midrange. It will go right, left or straight and has very good float for some downhill shots.

I think that you should get well versed in a very stable putter that you like. Then find a less stable putter to use for the trickier putts. and only carry the two. I carry three but usually only use two.
main putter is a Hydra, second less stable putter is an XD and my third putter is an Aviar - putt and Approach.

The main thing is to have discs that cover all of the various jobs to be done.

I should have included the plastic types that I use.
For drivers I love Innova Star plastics. Champion is cool too. For midrange I like the cheap stuff, DX plastic for me. For putters I like DX or R-Pro. I don't care for soft putters.

speaking of soft putters, I have a Wham-o 86 Softie Putter Steve Wisecap Signature model that I wouldn't sell in a million years.