• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overrated courses

filobedo

Double Eagle Member
Has anyone else played a 4 star reviewed course and was disappointed? Winter Park is a good course but did not live up to reviews and Ditto Farm is more hyped with 9 out of 11 reviews 4 stars or higher. I would be curious to see what these reviewers would rate WR Jackson, Stoney Hill, Rennaisance, Blue Ribbon Pines, Tyler, Nevin and other great courses.

I don't think I've played a highly-rated course that I was more than a little disappointed with---perhaps a half-star. Steady Ed at the IDGC is probably the one that most comes to mind, that I like but not as much as everyone else seems to.

For the most part, I don't believe in "overrated". With enough reviews, almost by definition, courses are property rated. Newer courses with fewer reviews are more susceptible. It's more a matter of how far my taste differs from the consensus.

With notable exceptions. I strongly suspect Pendleton King will fall in this category when I get back to it. I'm suspicious of the Colorado course ratings.

Has anyone else played a 4 star reviewed course and was disappointed? Winter Park is a good course but did not live up to reviews and Ditto Farm is more hyped with 9 out of 11 reviews 4 stars or higher. I would be curious to see what these reviewers would rate WR Jackson, Stoney Hill, Rennaisance, Blue Ribbon Pines, Tyler, Nevin and other great courses.

I guess it depends on what type of golf you like. I love Winter Park, and it's in my top 5, but I can see how some people might not like it.

Silver Creek in Manitowic, WI left me very disappointed, no way close to a 4 star course.

Typically the courses I am disappointed in are the ones that get points for a 'vibe' or 'atmosphere'. Normally this has more to do with the social aspects of the course and less to do with the actual disc golf.

Here's the thing:

Unless someone "stumbles upon" a course that isn't in the DGCR Rolodex and is tenacious enough to put it up for discussion here, it's a good bet that whomever's rating it is a local who's happy as a pig in $h!t to promote it. Most likely in the hopes that it drives more traffic to the course, which gives them more people to play with, which gives them more opportunities to play, which is more fun for them, so they win. This is not a hard concept to appreciate, since many of us here might likely do the same in their shoes. Lord knows that would be my first inclination.

However.....if you can put aside your bias and if you're serious about "growing the sport," it makes MORE sense to give an honest review of the current course conditions rather than propping it up by making it sound like it's the best thing since cold keg beer. Honesty is always appreciated by strangers (especially on DGCR) because not only does it lend legitimacy to you AND the website, it also encourages readers to keep an eye out for how the course progresses, making them consider a return trip when the flaws of the course have worked themselves out.

Let's face it: If someone reads an inflated rating and, because of that rating on DGCR plays the course and is dissatisfied, it's reasonable to assume that they won't make a trip back. Conversely, if they read an honest review (however low rated it may be) and still choose to play it, they may come back to it to see the improvements since they won't feel like they were hoodwinked into playing a supposedly good course when in reality their experience was the complete antithesis of the rating. Southeast Park is what brought me to that conclusion.

Like I said, it's not a bad thing at all that locals are excited about a few more baskets to throw at in close proximity to their usual 10-20. The backfired enthusiasm is what kills course growth and improvement in this virtual fairway.

Last edited:
Cranbury in CT was like 4.75 when i played it lol

I liked Cranbury but I think it would be much better if more routes were established by cutting some trees and lengthening the course in the woods for placement golf.

Here's the thing:

Unless someone "stumbles upon" a course that isn't in the DGCR Rolodex and is tenacious enough to put it up for discussion here, it's a good bet that whomever's rating it is a local who's happy as a pig in $h!t to promote it. Most likely in the hopes that it drives more traffic to the course, which gives them more people to play with, which gives them more opportunities to play, which is more fun for them, so they win. This is not a hard concept to appreciate, since many of us here might likely do the same in their shoes. Lord knows that would be my first inclination.

However.....if you can put aside your bias and if you're serious about "growing the sport," it makes MORE sense to give an honest review of the current course conditions rather than propping it up by making it sound like it's the best thing since cold keg beer. Honesty is always appreciated by strangers (especially on DGCR) because not only does it lend legitimacy to you AND the website, it also encourages readers to keep an eye out for how the course progresses, making them consider a return trip when the flaws of the course have worked themselves out.

Let's face it: If someone reads an inflated rating and, because of that rating on DGCR plays the course and is dissatisfied, it's reasonable to assume that they won't make a trip back. Conversely, if they read an honest review (however low rated it may be) and still choose to play it, they may come back to it to see the improvements since they won't feel like they were hoodwinked into playing a supposedly good course when in reality their experience was the complete antithesis of the rating. Southeast Park is what brought me to that conclusion.

Like I said, it's not a bad thing at all that locals are excited about a few more baskets to throw at in close proximity to their usual 10-20. The backfired enthusiasm is what kills course growth and improvement in this virtual fairway.

I think Southeast is at least a 3.75 - 4 star and the only throwaway holes are the hole across the dam and 17 and 18 which could be amended but would not play it alone. I feel safer playing alone at Owens which is also a great course.

Typically the courses I am disappointed in are the ones that get points for a 'vibe' or 'atmosphere'. Normally this has more to do with the social aspects of the course and less to do with the actual disc golf.

Somewhat related to this, I dislike it when courses that are part of disc golf 'complexes' are rated up simply by reason of being next to other courses. I would much rather each course were rated on its own merits.

Here's the thing:

I don't think your wrong, but what does any of this have to do with the OP? He asked if anyone felt 4+ courses didn't live up to the hype, then named a few of the most highly regarded courses in the country. What does that have to do with Southeast at all? I've never met a single person who would but that course in the same breath as some of the examples the OP listed?

Agreed. Each course should badically be judged on its own merits. In my area Cedarock and Wellspring occassionally get talked about as excellent cources because they are on the same park and well kept. If they were apart they'd bemedicocre courses at best. Decent places to play on your way through town, but nothing special.

I think Southeast is at least a 3.75 - 4 star and the only throwaway holes are the hole across the dam and 17 and 18 which could be amended but would not play it alone. I feel safer playing alone at Owens which is also a great course.

Eh. I rated SE 3.5 and I think that's about right. I don't think you could put a 4 on that property,.

Why wouldn't you play SE alone? I've played SE alone at least twice a week for the last 6 months and never had a problem of any kind. That's really random that you feel safer in a course with a significant homeless population

Somewhat related to this, I dislike it when courses that are part of disc golf 'complexes' are rated up simply by reason of being next to other courses. I would much rather each course were rated on its own merits.

The problem with that is that to many people having another course on site is like any other additional ammenity that may push a course up a notch. Just like those who loves pro shops on site. It may not make a difference to some - and it has nothing to do with the 18 holes - but to others it is a bonus.

I have a few

Played a course called South Hills up in Maryland. It was rated a 4.4 or so. As a group we were hugely disappointed. 3-3.5 at best. Also was not a fan of Ditto Farms though some in my group liked it.

More recently the Patriot in Kernersville NC is getting a lot of hype but I played it the other day and while it is very pretty and has nice amenities the design on the longs is not all that great. 3-3.5 for me.

Southeast in Columbia also felt the same when I played it though that was mainly due to maintenance at the time. I could see the potential in the design. It was just in really bad shape. I hear some guys are making a lot of improvements so looking forward to checking it out again. Felt like a 3-3.5 with potential for more.

Bracketts Bluff used to be an amazing course. It's still cool but not close to #1 in NC.

And finally while it was still a Great course I felt that Blue Ribbon pines was a little over rated. Didn't even crack my personal top 10. Still a 4-4.5 but it didn't WOW me like I was expecting and got kinda repetitive at times.

Last edited:
There are two disappointments for me recently:

Macatawa Greenspace in Holland, MI
Oshtemo Township Park in Oshtemo, MI

You can read my reviews to find out why.

Let's face it: If someone reads an inflated rating and, because of that rating on DGCR plays the course and is dissatisfied, it's reasonable to assume that they won't make a trip back. y.

If those people then review the course and give it an honest rating, overtime its rating will settle down where it should be. Except in the rare case where there have been a flood of local, inflated reviews.

We've seen this trend many times. A very good course gets built, and the first half-dozen or so reviews are locals giving it 5 stars. This draws interest and traffic, and the out-of-towners, often with more experience, give it more realistic ratings. By 15 or 20 reviews, it's settled down to 4-something, where it should be.

Around here I remember early days when Renny, Richmond Hill, and Hippodrome each had extremely high early ratings.

The funny thing about the local, homerism reviews is that, once a course has reached a reasonable threshold of 20 or 30 reviews, you can filter by Trusted Reviewers or people who've played at least 100 courses or whatever, and find that their rating is pretty close to the overall rating. At which point, you might conclude that it's your own taste and opinion of what makes a great course that's out of the mainstream.