• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overrated courses

Being on a beautiful piece of land designated solely for disc golf like BRP/Maple hill adds to my enjoyment of those courses. Same goes for the ridge. Idlewild just feels like a really, really, nice city course to me, not a top10-best in the world-type course.

I could see the argument for that over BRP (maybe), but not maple hill in a million years. :D

I absolutely agree with what you're saying about going to a DG destination.

Not sure either course is top 10. I'll take elevation, unique greens, and shot variety over flat and open all day however :)

I disagree with this, with a few caveats:
1 - Assuming a decent amount of reviews. If there are only 3 reviews - sure it is easy to inflate a course up. If there are 20....not so much.
2 - There are a very few true outliers (PKP anyone?), but they are far and few between.
3 - Just because you don't agree with a rating - doesn't mean it is wrong. It may be that you value different factors than the masses. Personally - I don't mind a tight, technical course....but I have many friends who hate them. Realizing how your values differ from the masses is important to understand the ratings.
4 - The value to me isn't so much the # for the rating - but the comments. It is very easy to read between the lines when looking at how the comments stack up against the ratings.

Exactly. Even the one of the most egregious outliers, PKP, isn't really THAT overrated. Average is a 3.71, which is probably fly-by review inflated by .5. To me .5 is within my expected variance in reviews. I may have a course .5 higher or lower then the average review, but I can usually see why other people rated it the way they did.

Weatherford DGC rated 3.76. The most unexciting course (for me). Zero risk/reward. All the holes were just out of my reach so no chance for birdie unless I sank an approach shot. At the same time there were really no obstacles off the tee and the trees were scattered. Bad teeshot resulted in a moderate approach shot and easy putt. Good teeshot got me an easy approach and a gimme putt.The only way I was gonna bogie was to throw 2 very bad shots and then still have to miss a 50/50 putt.

Charlotte would be a good place to start but from what I have heard, Cincinnati would be a benchmark due to great courses. I generally prefer wooded and technical courses with elevation as opposed to open field courses. IMO, most courses around schools seem to be open with the same shot over and over. Lander and USCS are the exceptions I have found.

Cincinnati is the mecca of disc golf.

Cincinnati is the mecca of disc golf.

You're well travelled, but I notice you haven't been to any courses in Charlotte. I think one has to have been to both cities to make a truly informed comment. I love me some Cincy DG, and it's a close race, but I might give Charlotte the nod when it comes to the quantity of high quality courses in close proximity.

Last edited:
You're well travelled, but I notice you haven't been to any courses in Charlotte. I think one has to have been to both cities to make a truly informed comment. I love me some Cincy DG, and it's a close race, but I might give Charlotte the nod when it comes to the quantity of high quality courses in close proximity.
I Agree. Though I didn't get to play all the courses in the cinci area.

I thought Idlewild was pretty overrated and I was disappointed when I finished my round there. Was not blown away like I would expect from a top 10 course. Still likely a 4* course but didn't make it into my personal top 10