• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Overstable distance driver???

Jussi Alanko

So, what could be a suitable overstable distance driver for me?

I currently have Latitude's Grace as a trusted workhorse. I really like that Latitude grand plastic, so I thought that the Grand Rive would be a suitable overstable driver for me.

I have enough armspeed that I can get a full flight out of that Grace and if the throw succeeds properly, I can reach that magical distance of 400 feet.

I don't aim for such long throws with this overstable driver, but it would be nice if it wasn't some very stupid meat hook.:doh:

I've got a little less power than you but I recently looked to fill this same slot. Right now I'm rolling with a max weight halo wraith and still get good distance. I've heard good things about the mint discs goat too but haven't tried one yet.

I've got a little less power than you but I recently looked to fill this same slot. Right now I'm rolling with a max weight halo wraith and still get good distance. I've heard good things about the mint discs goat too but haven't tried one yet.

When Halo came out, it was really hyped. Have you tried wraiths in other plastics for comparison?

When Halo came out, it was really hyped. Have you tried wraiths in other plastics for comparison?
I have thrown a handful of star, echo, and pro. The pair of halo wraiths I picked up both seem more stable than most stock wraiths. The only ones that were comparably OS were some of the high PLH bottom stamp star wraiths

At 400' I'd go with something rated for -1 or so turn to help it not feel like a total meathook, like a Destroyer or Mayhem.

I bag a Nitro and a particularly overstable Plasma Mayhem, and can get either to 450' with a flat throw and closer to 500' if there's room to flex them. I almost never throw the Nitro - thebplasma Mayhem is plenty beefy even for me.

I have some similar distance as you, and I throw DD1s for normal distance shots, which are similar enough to a Grace. A c-line DD3 or new Horizon Cloudbreaker is plenty overstable by comparison. For the OS driver I bag a Cloudbreaker3, but could easily sub a C-line DD3 (not s-line, those are not as stable)

I currently have Latitude's Grace as a trusted workhorse. I really like that Latitude grand plastic, so I thought that the Grand Rive would be a suitable overstable driver for me.

I have enough armspeed that I can get a full flight out of that Grace and if the throw succeeds properly, I can reach that magical distance of 400 feet.

I don't aim for such long throws with this overstable driver, but it would be nice if it wasn't some very stupid meat hook.:doh:

Are you saying the Rive is too OS for you? Do you have more than 1 Grace you have been throwing? or more than 1 Rive? Small sample sizes make it harder to know if you have an exceptionally flippy Grace or a beefy Rive. Rives are a good step up from a grace. Maybe if you aren't already bagging one you should try an 10 or even 9 speed OS driver instead of stepping up in speed and stability. If you do bag one try using it as your fastest disc for a little while and see what you can do with it. Anax/Vulture/PD/Zenith/Musket class discs go pretty darn far.

If you are looking for the 11 speed beefier but not big boy OS driver
Gateway Illusion is super underrated. About as OS as a halo wraith but better in the wind. Newer blends feel amazing.
Photons are pretty great, though some find them more OS than others. I really like them at sea level. Here I feel like I need to throw ~165g and find more control with heavier hurricanes.
Hurricane current tour series are probably too beefy but stock ones would slot right between a Grace and Rive in speed and stability.
Recoil Round out some variety of manufacturers and speeds. The recoil is not as OS as the numbers suggest and has pretty awesome glide (especially in goldline) for the stability.

There's a lot of options IMO, any of the companies "main" distance driver will probably work here, ie Rive, Destroyer, Raider, Photon etc etc. Since you like the Grace I'd start there if I were you.

The Halo RIVE is very OS but the standard one is just a little more OS than the Halo Grace. .

A standard GRACE, then a Halo GRACE...Standard RIVE and last Halo RIVE gives you a LARGE span with just two moulds

The Halo RIVE is very OS but the standard one is just a little more OS than the Halo Grace. .

A standard GRACE, then a Halo GRACE...Standard RIVE and last Halo RIVE gives you a LARGE span with just two moulds

I have a Ballista Pro/Grace set up with the Halo and regular BP and that works as well if you don't want to pay a premium for Rives. Although they do fly and feel pretty darn amazing.:rolleyes:

This is the disc that i ordered yesterday, i hope that i can go to a dg course tomorrow with my new rive...

If it's not in my hands tomorrow then it comes in monday, but point is that now i have a really stable distance driver which slot i had no disc at all at this very moment. In that moment i think that my most stable distance driver is Mvp:s Octane which had flight numbers of 13,5,-1,2 and Rive had flight numbers of 13,5,0,3.5...

And i ordered Rive at this color, i think that this is quite good looking disc...

rive.jpg

I'm basically in the identical situation where I max out at 400' with my Graces.

As my OS discs I throw the Kristin Tattar Orbit Grace, which if domey should be substantially more OS and handles moderate winds.

I also have one Orbit Rive, which was just stupid OS when new but actually beat into a rather straight flier in couple of weeks of active play. I've also thrown Raiders in that slot, which is plenty OS for me, but still a bit straighter than a Destroyer which was too much for me.

I'm basically in the identical situation where I max out at 400' with my Graces.

As my OS discs I throw the Kristin Tattar Orbit Grace, which if domey should be substantially more OS and handles moderate winds.

I also have one Orbit Rive, which was just stupid OS when new but actually beat into a rather straight flier in couple of weeks of active play. I've also thrown Raiders in that slot, which is plenty OS for me, but still a bit straighter than a Destroyer which was too much for me.
I have also tried multiple different Destroyers and they are all been too os for me and i can't make them glide or fly at all, if my grace flies 400 feet, i have tried to throw those Destroyers but they max out at 300 feet, they are all haven't been that os but i just can't throw them fast enough that those propably need...

I'm curious what particular shot you're going for. Headwind? Something that absolutely won't turn over? Forehand? Backhand?

There are a lot of options. I was going to suggest Force/Destroyer and find a higher PLH, but it sounds like that's more overstable than you're looking for. I think it may be best to find something lower speed. If you haven't tried a Firebird, then you should (champion tends to be meathooky, but maybe Star?) You might even be surprised by how well a Champ Teebird works.

Again, it will depend on what exact shot you're looking for. I find I have recently ditched truly overstable distance drivers. If I really need something not to turn over in a headwind or some specific shot, then I'll just use my champion Firebird. If I need a "more overstable" distance driver then I try to add a little more care to a shot with a beefy Star Teebird, Big Z Vulture, or beefy old-school ESP Surge.

Latest posts