• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Mid

Everyone else seems to feel like I do, trust the gator. Glide is low, bite is significant. If you play somewhere with a lot of wind the lack of glide and wind control of the gator will make it worth a spot in the bag. Mine fits nicely next to my superroc.

Everyone else seems to feel like I do, trust the gator. Glide is low, bite is significant. If you play somewhere with a lot of wind the lack of glide and wind control of the gator will make it worth a spot in the bag. Mine fits nicely next to my superroc.
Nice plug!

Demon is now out in that clear evolution plastic, which is what it was really missing... a durable plastic.
It's slow and real overstable, which is why I like my Champ Gator so much. If I ever lose it, I'll prob. switch to this one. And now I'm just rambling...

but, might I be so bold?

http://marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/proddetail.asp?prod=demon_evolution_clear

oooohhh inticing. I like the 150 Demon but cringe when it smacks a tree. I've heard real good things about the clear evo plastic.

for sure ... but on the plus side it is a very appealing canvas for a dye job.

The Drone is UNABLE to turnover so on windy days its my bread and butter. Its really slow so if you throw 375' with drivers with ease, dont be surprised when you cant throw the drone more than 250'. Final grade for windy day: A-. I only give it an A- because it lacks distance.

The Drone is UNABLE to turnover so on windy days its my bread and butter. Its really slow so if you throw 375' with drivers with ease, dont be surprised when you cant throw the drone more than 250'. Final grade for windy day: A-. I only give it an A- because it lacks distance.
Interesting. I can't really throw my Drone less than 250' because it fades so hard at slow speed.

I throw my star roc for overstable mid range. I throw z wasp but it is pretty straight until in the end. My esp wasp is almost same as my star roc but maybe 50 ft more farther. I pick up a nice disc by latitude 64 Medius. It's nice disc. It's is slight overstable mid range disc. I dont have to throw so hard. It carry pretty well with medium effort. my fav mid disc will go with my first run glow roc.

"Throw hard, Play hard, Play smart, Have fun"

Question, what would everyone consider as the more versatile over-stable mid-range among these 3? A Sentinel MF, a Wasp, or a Drone?

Gator flies quite differently than a roc, definitely more overstable, but it really depends on what you're looking for when you say "overstable mid". I mean, what kindof stuff are you going to be using it for, because any roc devotee (not me) will tell you that the roc will hold any line you put on it, straight, hyzer or annie, which takes care of most of your midrange shots. So I guess what gaps specifically do you need filled.

Seems like someone likes each of the options I was considering.

When my roc was new it had a predictable fade, wouldn't turn over no matter how hard I threw it (unless I took a run-up with an X-step), and didn't seem too affected by wind. As it ages, it finishes straight, I have to be careful how much I put on it lest it turn over, and it is much more affected by wind. I can still throw a hyzer with it, but I can't throw it quite as hard and a headwind might quickly turn that hyzer into a hyzer-flip.

So I guess what I want is a disc I can throw flat and hard that will finish with a reliable fade, a disc that hyzers well, and a disc that can handle the wind. I almost ordered a star gator tonight, but I'm still so undecided. Any other opinions out there?

Seems like someone likes each of the options I was considering.

When my roc was new it had a predictable fade, wouldn't turn over no matter how hard I threw it (unless I took a run-up with an X-step), and didn't seem too affected by wind. As it ages, it finishes straight, I have to be careful how much I put on it lest it turn over, and it is much more affected by wind. I can still throw a hyzer with it, but I can't throw it quite as hard and a headwind might quickly turn that hyzer into a hyzer-flip.

So I guess what I want is a disc I can throw flat and hard that will finish with a reliable fade, a disc that hyzers well, and a disc that can handle the wind. I almost ordered a star gator tonight, but I'm still so undecided. Any other opinions out there?
In my opinion, you're on the right track now. It sounds like you have a well seasoned Roc in your bag and it is a thing to treasure. You're half-way to having a beat Roc and it's time to buy a fresh new one. Depending on how much you play, you'll have that predictable fade you like for a few months with the new one and you'll also have a dependable disc that will go where you point it. One day you'll find that fresh Roc has lost the freshness and by then I think it's likely you'll understand the beauty of a trashed Roc. Time for a new freshie.

Rinse and repeat.

Personally, I feel the need for a new Roc three or four times a year. But I play a lot. YMMV

Couldn't decide. Got a star gator and a KC Pro Roc, both max weight. I'll let you know how I like em.

I got those discs today. The KC Pro roc doesn't seem any more stable than the DX one was initially. In fact, it seems less stable than my Elite X Buzz.

The gator on the other hand, now that is an interesting disc. I threw it full speed into a 20 mile an hour headwind. Still had a pretty good fade and not a hint of turn. No glide at all. Great disc to put in the bag when it is windy.

I have heard great things about the Gator and have begun looking for one in Champion Plastic, even though it will likely have to be a CFR disc. Having had similar thoughts in my drivers and after picking up a Champion XCaliber and after falling in love with that disc in one day of practice, I am really thinking the Gator is part of my next purchase.

i just bought a kc roc and it works great for me, atm....its not really all that broken in yet though...excited to see how it turns out after its good and broken in

I got those discs today. The KC Pro roc doesn't seem any more stable than the DX one was initially. In fact, it seems less stable than my Elite X Buzz.

The gator on the other hand, now that is an interesting disc. I threw it full speed into a 20 mile an hour headwind. Still had a pretty good fade and not a hint of turn. No glide at all. Great disc to put in the bag when it is windy.
The Gator also works well as a wind putter.

I would think the Viper would be a good choice if you grow tired of the Roc/Gator Combo. I am a huge roc fan, and I agree that between my 3 rocs i can throw any midrange shot, without fail. However, when it comes to throwing hyzers with a mid-range/shorter fairway disc, I'd rather go with the Viper than my beloved rocs. I have found that for me, the Viper allows much more room for error on a lot of shots. when I need to throw a straight shot for a decent distance and then have it cut hard to the left, i'd reach for my viper before my roc anyday.

ps. if you do decide to buy the viper, I would highly recommend going to a DG shop instead of ordering it online. The Viper mold is really inconsistent, although all of the vipers are overstable. Make sure that the rim on your viper is tall. I've got 2, and on one of them, the rim is about .3 cm tall (from the table it is sitting on to the outermost point of the rim), while the other is about .6 cm. the first one flies like a buzzz, and the second one flies like a viper should, even as an old beat up dx disc. I do hope your gator/roc combo works out for ya though.

Latest posts