• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Owned by Mother Nature

Anselm

So, who was affected by that freak Halloween Blizzard that hit the Northeast? Personally, it did so much damage that my home course is now unplayable, and a dubz tourney scheduled for this Sunday had to be cancelled.

Anybody else have their disc golf plans ruined?

More generally, have any "natural disasters" ever drastically changed a course near and dear to your heart? I'm afraid Crane Hill might be very different next time I find myself home from school...

We had a pretty large flood in September of 2010 in North Austin. One of my home courses Rivery had to be completely remodeled and the entire terrain of the course changed. I love the course that is there now so I have no complaints but I think the whole course was under water for a time. There are now teesigns that lead to nowhere and entire walls of dead brush surrounding creek lines.

The recent noreaster just gave us a little rain down here. But we have had our local course tore up from a hurricane before. Hopefully y'all up there get your courses back and open again soon!

Our courses are nealy unplayable also. We got nearly 8 feet of sun. I was late to work, due to having to shovel all the perfect weather out of my driveway. Stupid global warming. It's nearly 80 degrees today, so I'm stuck indoors.

Our courses are nealy unplayable also. We got nearly 8 feet of sun. I was late to work, due to having to shovel all the perfect weather out of my driveway. Stupid global warming. It's nearly 80 degrees today, so I'm stuck indoors.

Lol!!

We got beat up with an early blizzard in Colorado last week, and the course I played on the next day was a wreck! Not only were there trees already down, but we saw 5-6 more fall during our round. Some of the tees were under trees, forcing us to create our own. Also had to walk up the fairway a few times to remove branches from the baskets. Luckily none were damaged!

That was last Wednesday, and now I woke up this morning to another foot of snow! WTF!! Oh well, goin' to play anyways!

Temp has dropped 10 degrees since 8 AM, and is supposed to drop another 10 degrees by tonight. Light snow expected.

So I'm glad I got four rounds in yesterday when it was a balmy 70 degrees. Two of them in the dark.

Dstearns... I hate you. Just kidding. Maybe...

I have only heard of the damage second hand from people who are actually there right now. The issue was that many trees still hadn't lost their leaves, so tons (literally) of wet snow was able to cling to the branches. All of western Mass is just a heap of downed limbs and trees. It will take some time to assess the damage to the course, but I worry that some key trees - the ones which form the major obstacles on a given hole - may have come down. That would really change things.

I just got 2 fallen trees down and removed a bunch of branches from my course.....nasty noises that entire night...hearing huge trees and branches falling down everywhere...was quite strange.

MA is getting back to normal. From what I heard CT got walloped in the power loss department.

My house lost power Saturday night and got it back Tuesday morning. Good feeling waking up to hear the pipes expanding from the forced hot water running through them!

Trick-or-Treating was cancelled on Monday night in my town and rescheduled for tonight. Good time was had by all the kids on a nice mild night.

We lost a basket, and have some powerlines down on a couple of our holes.

PA300081.jpg

PA300083.jpg

PA300091.jpg

PA300093.jpg

My local course is doing alright after the storm; we did lose a few trees here and there but it's only a big deal on one of the holes, as two trees, complete with leaves, have cracked in half and fallen toward the middle of the fairway, making a much larger obstacle to throw around.

There was a tree that fell just in front of the basket on the fifth hole (missed the basket by maybe 2 feet - seriously... had to drill one through the leaves to hit the birdie). They cleared it out after only two days though. I find this especially strange, considering that there are still downed power lines from Hurricane Irene in the middle of a fairway on the course. Those have become rather annoying.

Latest posts