• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce loses huge opportunity

Wasn't Sara's fault wasn't Paige's fault. Neither wants the win given to them. What would have been nice to see (although I understand in this day and age how far fetched it would be) was the entire women's open field take an agreed upon 2 7s on the same hole..in the semis...to level the playing field.

Some of you think this is nonsense and that's fine...but how awesome would that have been? Hopefully the pdga and everybody else involved learns from it.

I obviously agree with OP since I've previously posted the same things. I don't think Pierce should be chastised for it though.

Any professional athlete that would throw a round, especially the world title, based on a "could/should have been" argument shouldn't be competing on a professional world championship level.

Lots of things could have happened, but didn't. It is what it is for all parties involved (ie- the actual players, not spectators or fans). Rules are rules, get past it.

If Sara is a true world champion, I'm sure she will earn it through exemplary performance in the future, not have the title because someone else threw the contest.

I'd rather earn it than be given it, anyone who would have it the other way doesn't understand what it is to achieve based on merit and skill.

Any professional athlete that would throw a round, especially the world title, based on a "could/should have been" argument shouldn't be competing on a professional world championship level.

Lots of things could have happened, but didn't. It is what it is for all parties involved (ie- the actual players, not spectators or fans). Rules are rules, get past it.

If Sara is a true world champion, I'm sure she will earn it through exemplary performance in the future, not have the title because someone else threw the contest.

I'd rather earn it than be given it, anyone who would have it the other way doesn't understand what it is to achieve based on merit and skill.
Based on merit and skill Hokom won. Based on luck and rules Pierce won.

What if SH was sick with the flu? stubbed a toe? Threw the wrong disc?
Where do you draw the line as to when to intentionally give a few strokes back?

Answer: You play your best and win, even if something bad happens. **** happens - PP still won the title. Sad about the car-wreck and I'm super glad that SH is OK :)

Actually I'm on the other end of the spectrum on this issue. If you miss your tee time you should be Disqualified. In ball golf you miss the starting time you don't play, no exceptions. Whether Cat Allen wasn't paying attention and drove to the wrong course (worlds 2014) and missed holes or Sarah getting rear ended it shouldn't matter. You don't show up on time, you don't play.

This is world's. Of course everyone should play their hearts out and go for everything regardless of "who should win". Paige did the correct thing playing her best. She should never intentionally miss.

Giving Sarah the trophy was great too.

2 cents (because it isn't worth much more than that): I was rooting for Sarah. I'm OK with Paige winning. Why? Because I wouldn't want anything given to me in that situation out of charity, because that is what it is. The whole field taking two sevens as a sign of solidarity? Nope, don't do it. If I was in a car accident and in her position I wouldn't want anyone to miss throw, send a drive a little left, not run a putt as hard or anything other than their absolute best. If I were to win, knowing something like that was happening, that someone was consciously trying to let me win, that victory would ring hollow for the rest of my life and that is worse than any damage you could do to me in a car accident or by beating me fair and square, especially a World Championship level title.

It's a situation that can only be decided by those at the center of it, in this case by Paige. Does she play hard and perhaps win a title that will always have an asterisk or does she lay off a stroke or two in the face of having gained advantage in such a horrific fashion? Only she gets to decide the issue and she owes nobody an explanation as to why. We can make all the arguments we wish as to how one course of action or another is the most respectful and all that speculation amounts to nothing more than fart gas.

I suspect this year's Worlds is less than fulfilling to those two ladies at the top than for any of the other players, which is sad.

I will chime in. Sarah had every chance to win the tournament during the final nine. A few missed putts and several sawed off forehand shots certainly cost her.

Also If play had started on time instead of waiting for her on Thursday, would Sarah have made the final nine at all? I don't think Paige missed any opportunities and agree with those who think the thread title should be changed

2 cents (because it isn't worth much more than that): I was rooting for Sarah. I'm OK with Paige winning. Why? Because I wouldn't want anything given to me in that situation out of charity, because that is what it is. The whole field taking two sevens as a sign of solidarity? Nope, don't do it. If I was in a car accident and in her position I wouldn't want anyone to miss throw, send a drive a little left, not run a putt as hard or anything other than their absolute best. If I were to win, knowing something like that was happening, that someone was consciously trying to let me win, that victory would ring hollow for the rest of my life and that is worse than any damage you could do to me in a car accident or by beating me fair and square, especially a World Championship level title.

This. It would be a hollow victory. Also only my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Since this is in the fill anyways...

It is the women's world title, ie the best of about 40. Who cares?

Ok, this is ridiculous. I play violin for a living and if I was in a competition and my string broke causing me to go from probably winning to not..oh well. There is next time.

Also, Let's say Sarah did make it to the first hole, now we are in an alternate timeline and in no way can say what would have happened.

Many good points, but not a lot of opinions on my suggestion of opportunity.

Could it have been good for the game?

Could the gesture land a television spot, even if just for the controversy alone?

or disc golf too obscure, especially on the women's side?

Where's Puckstopper to lament the "everyone deserves a trophy" generation and how it's ruining society as we know it?
You gonna charge me rent for that space I'm taking up in your head sport? Nice to know I'm on your mind even when I've got better things to do. :rolleyes: Besides, many others did a solid job taking care of my light work in here

Based on merit and skill Hokom won. Based on luck and rules Pierce won.
Nope. In the real world Paige won. End of story, sorry everyone didn't live happily ever after. They usually don't.

Would you want a first place trophy for an event you didnt win first place in?
Never. Not under any circumstances.

It's important to remember she probably wasn't only battling the penalty strokes. Her mental game had to have been off, and there is no way she came through an accident that gave her that kind of facial bruising without being stiff and sore all over. The best possible story would have been Sarah overcoming the odds and winning despite the penalties. That didn't happen, so it's time to get over it, congratulate Paige, and move on.

Many good points, but not a lot of opinions on my suggestion of opportunity.

1)Could it have been good for the game?

2)Could the gesture land a television spot, even if just for the controversy alone?

or disc golf too obscure, especially on the women's side?

Let's do this, point by point:

1) I don't see how, in any real world situation, where throwing a game would be good for any sport, much less disc golf. If anything, it would make "frisbee golf" (as it is known to most of the world, if at all) even more of a joke. Its not cute, its not funny, its not a nice gesture. Its pity in it's worst form, and would make a total mockery of any semblance of competition.

2) No. I keep telling all you new players that disc golf has been on TV before. A bunch. But it didn't take. They put it on Sportscenter's Top 10 TWICE this year, and even the announcer's treated it like a joke. If Nate Doss' nearly 400 foot water carry ace gets only a "I love me some frolf" (that's an actual quote) from the Sportscenter announcer, how do you think they would treat someone throwing a game of Frisbee?

God forbid, but what would you like to have seen if it had been worse? What it Sarah had broken a leg, dislocated a shoulder? You want that all the other women should just quit the tournament?

We can play the what if game for years. What happened happened. Your idea is asinine.

Latest posts