• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce loses huge opportunity

So, Paige Pierce claimed the women's world title, but I can only imagine every time she looks at she will remember that it should have been Sarah Hokom's.

If you missed that piece of news, Hokom was 8 strokes up after 4 rounds. On her way to the 5th round she was rear ended into another lane of traffic, then smashed by a truck. As a result, she was 2 holes late to round and carded +4 on ach of those holes, putting her now 3 holes back from 1st place. She ended up losing by a single stroke after playing in the 6th round final 9.

I don't feel like rules should have been bent for her sake, I just think Paige Pierce lost a huge opportunity to purposefully throw the game on the green of that final hole. Now THAT would be Sportscenter worthy AND I know for a fact there were plenty of cameras there to capture the moment has it occured. "Pierce Gives Away World Champion Disc Golf Title" Now that's a way to be remembered... not a title that you know someone else should have won. I also thing that would have been a heck of an event to give disc golf some more visibility. #growthesport

All that being said, I don't think Pierce doesnt deserve the title. One could argue either way, and she certainly is deserving of it given her record this year. She just missed the chance to earn something so much more memorable and admirable.

Thoughts?

Welp, no doubt you read the Worlds thread and are looking to begin a flame war.

I'll play along and reiterate my last post.
She did miss a great shot at sportsmanship during the tourney (though handing over the trophy was a supremely nice gesture).
I don't think she should have thrown the whole thing, but I do think she could have made a show of purposefully missing the tap in to force the tie break. Then, made it clear she was gonna play lights out for it, and expected Sarah to do the same.
That would have been seriously inspired.

Nobody wants to be given a win. Regardless of whether or not Sarah most likely would have won on her own, had the accident not occurred.

I agree to a point that it would have been cool to see for some of us.. but for the majority of competitive disc golfers it finished the way it should.. a battle that could have gone either way on the final 9 with clutch putts and moments from both of them. She did give hokom the trophy which put a smile on my face as I was talking about it before it happened with some friends and thought that would make for a great sportscenter piece. We need disc golfers to step up and spread those stories.. force their hand for great publicity because it was still a moment of sports greatness. Paige earned a lifelong fan even if she didnt go as far as she could ;).

Where's Puckstopper to lament the "everyone deserves a trophy" generation and how it's ruining society as we know it?

And I guarantee that Sarah is enough of a professional and a competitor that she would absolutely and and in no certain terms reject having ANYONE, gift her a title she didn't win.

Paige is a PAID Athlete. She is paid by her sponsors to play to the best of her ability. If she would have given a stroke to force a playoff, what kind of precedent would that be setting for a sport that is trying to break through into the mainstream?

I was Really hoping Hokum was going to pull through and take the win. She showed so many different ways she is a Champion by playing after her accident. It was a horrible situation and she made the best of it by doing the best she could, given the circumstances.

Paige won. Paige earned the win. She did not cause Sarah to lose 8 strokes. Rules are rules and they have to be in place. The thing I really loved about Paige winning was she showed what a true Champion she is. She doesn't feel like she should have won it. She has the right to feel that way. But, by feeling that way she is a great example of a World Champ, in my book.

Given the circumstances, series of events, and what ever else led to the outcome of the Worlds FPO card finish, I think it went exactly the way it should have. Just my 2 cents. Probably only worth 1...

So, Paige Pierce claimed the women's world title, but I can only imagine every time she looks at she will remember that it should have been Sarah Hokom's.

If you missed that piece of news, Hokom was 8 strokes up after 4 rounds. On her way to the 5th round she was rear ended into another lane of traffic, then smashed by a truck. As a result, she was 2 holes late to round and carded +4 on ach of those holes, putting her now 3 holes back from 1st place. She ended up losing by a single stroke after playing in the 6th round final 9.

I don't feel like rules should have been bent for her sake, I just think Paige Pierce lost a huge opportunity to purposefully throw the game on the green of that final hole. Now THAT would be Sportscenter worthy AND I know for a fact there were plenty of cameras there to capture the moment has it occured. "Pierce Gives Away World Champion Disc Golf Title" Now that's a way to be remembered... not a title that you know someone else should have won. I also thing that would have been a heck of an event to give disc golf some more visibility. #growthesport

All that being said, I don't think Pierce doesnt deserve the title. One could argue either way, and she certainly is deserving of it given her record this year. She just missed the chance to earn something so much more memorable and admirable.

Thoughts?

Isn't it against the rules to intentionally deflate your rating? I thought there was some code for that, like 888 or 999.

Truly incredible effort by Sarah... perhaps one that will be talked about for years to come.

I'm not saying it what happened to her was good in any way, but the fact is, we don't know how it would've played out had she not been in that car accident. Maybe she'd have won going away, but maybe she would've squandered a lead and we'd all be talking about what valiant a charge Pierce made to get even with her and make the final few holes dramatic.

Both women played the hand they were dealt, gave us a helluva show, and as professionals, that's all we can ask of them.
IMO, throwing the event at the end would have been an insult; to Sarah, to the event, and to the sport.

I'm just glad Sarah wasn't seriously injured, and applaud her for her grace under extreme pressure.

Last edited:
I would also assume as disc golf grows, players get better AND more competitive, and events get bigger each year, there are going to be more and more situations that haven't been seen before. Looking at the situations subjectively and figuring out what needs to happen is not a bad thing. Learn from it.

Isn't it against the rules to intentionally deflate your rating? I thought there was some code for that, like 888 or 999.

This.

Also, are you kidding me with this thread? Paige showed some of the greatest sportsmanship we've seen in this young sports history and you're gonna try to use that to crap on her?

Congrats Sarah on a well played Worlds and having the heart of a champion. Congrats Paige on being the classiest woman in disc golf. You both have earned legions of new fans from people who used to think they weren't as excited about FPO as MPO.

This.

Also, are you kidding me with this thread? Paige showed some of the greatest sportsmanship we've seen in this young sports history and you're gonna try to use that to crap on her?

Congrats Sarah on a well played Worlds and having the heart of a champion. Congrats Paige on being the classiest woman in disc golf. You both have earned legions of new fans from people who used to think they weren't as excited about FPO as MPO.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: ^^^^

Nobody wants to be given a win. Regardless of whether or not Sarah most likely would have won on her own, had the accident not occurred.

^^THIS!

Yeah if I were in Sarah's shoes and Paige missed on purpose, I'd be insulted. Any real competitor would want to know their accomplishments were earned. I don't know whether Sarah has commented on this so-called "controversy", but she's a serious competitor so I imagine she would be really pissed if Paige started missing putts on purpose. It is so dishonorable, I can't believe people are even suggesting it. The only thing worse would be if someone started a thread about how Paige could gain fame and fortune for herself, or for the disc golf community, by taking advantage of Sarah's accident. Oh wait... :(:gross::thmbdown:

OP suggestion is utterly beyond my comprehension. I would have lost respect for Paige, the game and the concept of competition.

These are professional athletes trying for championships.

I feel terrible that Sarah was in a collision and im glad nobody was seriously hurt (as i understand it).

But OP's suggestion is ridiculous. That's it.

Competitors play to win, and rules are rules. In fact, the rules are generous. In many other sports, missing the starting time means a flat out d/q.

Paige is a PAID Athlete. She is paid by her sponsors to play to the best of her ability. If she would have given a stroke to force a playoff, what kind of precedent would that be setting for a sport that is trying to break through into the mainstream?

I was Really hoping Hokum was going to pull through and take the win. She showed so many different ways she is a Champion by playing after her accident. It was a horrible situation and she made the best of it by doing the best she could, given the circumstances.

Paige won. Paige earned the win. She did not cause Sarah to lose 8 strokes. Rules are rules and they have to be in place. The thing I really loved about Paige winning was she showed what a true Champion she is. She doesn't feel like she should have won it. She has the right to feel that way. But, by feeling that way she is a great example of a World Champ, in my book.

Given the circumstances, series of events, and what ever else led to the outcome of the Worlds FPO card finish, I think it went exactly the way it should have. Just my 2 cents. Probably only worth 1...
Excellent point and very well-phrased. :thmbup:

I have really appreciated reading your (and others) opinions on this matter. I started out feeling so bad for SH that I lost the forest for the trees. I can clearly see this perspective now and feel it is the best way to look at it.

Exactly. The only scenario I see as similar was when McCray missed his tee time and the first couple of hole in 2006 in Augusta for a round when he was on the first card and did not make the finals. Unfortunate what happened but you never know what can happen in the future.

I like paige. I would dislike her if she just flopped and gave up the world title. Its sports and people get hurt all the time outside of their play. Hell people die not jusg get hurt. sarah is lucky to be alive and it cost her the world championship. Pretty sure my life matters more so its a whatever. ****ty situation but its the reality of it. No different if you rolled an ankle walking out on the course.... accidents happen'