• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Park Ranger Run-ins

It probably was the pickles!

#1) He could've closed the gate & locked your car inside the park which would have been inconvenient to say the least. Your vehicle could've also been ticketed & later towed (all at your expense). If the hours are displayed on a sign at the entrance & you were still in the park after dark I'd say you got off lucky.
#2) People get angry for all different reasons. Your tardiness could've set off an already smoldering issue with this guy. Example: He just caught his girlfriend cheating on him. McDonald's put pickles on his burger when he specifically asked for none. Maybe his dog just died, etc. You can never tell where somebodies coming from with anger. So dont bite into it!
#3) Having said all that we play at many parks around here & often dont finish until after it's dark & have not had this come up. And there are signs stating 'park closed at dusk' at all of these places. Guess we're just lucky!
#4) I'm thinking it was the pickles! :p

I was playing Osbourne park with a few friends last week when we were approached by a few police officers. The disc golf park has a few foles 10-15 feet off the shores of lake erie, no beach I might add just break walls. Well theres always people on the walls swimming etc....that you always have to watch out for. Well apperently a lady called the cops because on hole #4 I threw out over the water where people were swimming and she felt like I was putting there lives in danger....WTF! YOUR SWIMMING IN LAKE ERIE WITH NO LIFE GUARDS, THATS DANGEROUS ENOUGH!! Well after talking to the officer they went away, but I notice while we played another round one stuck around and watched us play #2,3 and 4 which is along the lake. We all ended up throwing the same shots and when I went over the water agian this lady comes running up and screaming at us. At this point the officer comes down and explain that this is a disc golf area and not a beach, he then tell's here if she continues this screaming and nonsence he will give her a ticket for disorderly conduct.

#1) He could've closed the gate & locked your car inside the park which would have been inconvenient to say the least. Your vehicle could've also been ticketed & later towed (all at your expense). If the hours are displayed on a sign at the entrance & you were still in the park after dark I'd say you got off lucky.
#2) People get angry for all different reasons. Your tardiness could've set off an already smoldering issue with this guy. Example: He just caught his girlfriend cheating on him. McDonald's put pickles on his burger when he specifically asked for none. Maybe his dog just died, etc. You can never tell where somebodies coming from with anger. So dont bite into it!
#3) Having said all that we play at many parks around here & often dont finish until after it's dark & have not had this come up. And there are signs stating 'park closed at dusk' at all of these places. Guess we're just lucky!
#4) I'm thinking it was the pickles! :p

I do hate pickles on my McDonald's cheeseburger.

It reminds me of that thing I saw about cops how you get mad when they pull you over and act like a jerk when you were just doing 10 over or something. It goes on to talk about all the junk he could've seen during the day (drunk drivers, shooting, dead kids, beaten wives) and yadda yadda.

I agree that being a jerk isn't the way you should conduct business but a lot of times there is enough backstory to "warrant" it. Now maybe this dude is a tool all the time, you never know.

Try it again and see what happens. ;)

^criminal. ;)

MrFixIt = smooth criminal

Smooth_criminal_video.jpg

LMAO!!

Yeah the park closed at dusk. He probably was wanting to be home with his family instead of waiting for us. I considered this and had he been a decent guy about it such as "hey guys I had to wait for you and I was supposed to be doing the family thing" I would have totally responded in an apologetic manner and even offered his family a McDonald's gift card out of my wallet for him to make it up to his family. My beef was the power trip he was on. You catch more flies with honey. He talked to us like we were lowlife vagrants.

There's one of two things going on here.

1. He has to deal with lingerers on a daily basis and just has lost patience. I had similar issues when I was lifeguarding at a city pool. It doesn't take long to lose patience with people who are too stubborn to follow posted rules. There may be plenty of times where they just don't know any better and feel like we were just getting power hungry, but really when you see the same things every day, you get fed up with it and take it out on the each violator.

2. That's his way of making sure you don't break the posted rules again. I bet you will never again play past dusk.

Either way, it sounds like he was pretty justified in how he treated the situation.

I was playing the Monroe course and saw mowers all over the grounds cutting grass that day. A lot of grass. When I got to hole #23 one mower was on the left side of the fairway. It was loud but I knew I wouldn't come close to hitting him.
When he saw me on the tee he stopped and turned off the mower as I threw 2 shots off the tee.
Pretty cool. :thmbup:

He has a job to do, I think most everyone can respect that. Could he have treated the park users, basically his customers if you will, with a little more respect also? Yeah definitely, but sometimes it's just easier to be the bigger man and keep a level head.

On a side note, what kind of state park doesn't allow alcohol?!

On a side note, what kind of state park doesn't allow alcohol?!

Most of the ones in GA have a no alcohol rule.
The rangers will look the other way if your at a campsite and being discreet (read not stumbling drunk).
It is basically an "out" for the rangers...if they see you acting stupid and drinking, they can ask you to leave.

At Tuttle Creek in Manhattan KS, I've had pretty positive experience with the park officials. They would often stop and ask how my round has been going and once even went and got a cherry picker to get a disc out of a tree for me to pick up at the office.

Yeah the park closed at dusk. He probably was wanting to be home with his family instead of waiting for us. I considered this and had he been a decent guy about it such as "hey guys I had to wait for you and I was supposed to be doing the family thing" I would have totally responded in an apologetic manner and even offered his family a McDonald's gift card out of my wallet for him to make it up to his family. My beef was the power trip he was on. You catch more flies with honey. He talked to us like we were lowlife vagrants.

Yeah, the dude really is a tool....the woman is cool though ime.
If you play 18 there i suggest playing 1-3 shorts and longs at tge same time. It cuts down on the walk quite a bit.

Where would one obtain such a glorious permit

You can get it from their website. It costs $35. I don't know anyone who has actually purchased one or been busted for not having it though.

From the Maryland DNR website, I found a list of states that don't let you consume on their parks:
Alcohol is banned in 19 state park systems: Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
Alcohol is banned without a permit in five state parks systems: Delaware, Florida, New Hampshire, South Carolina, West Virginia.

If the dude is really a tool all the time then you should all be extremely syrupy sweet nice to him...that should make him even angrier.

Maryland doesn't allow it either unless you have a permit. Not 100% sure, but I don't think Pennsylvania allows it either.

Correct, PADCNR frowns on "adult beverages".

Back to the ranger issue, I also hit the vehicle of a nice ranger.

French Creek State Park, hole 12 (gold). Second shot down to the green, little too much fade, hear a sickening "THUNK" as the disc goes out of sight.

Walking down to see what the eff just happened, I see the red and blues of a ranger SUV sticking over the bushes. **** I think, this could be fun...

Walk up, see disc, begin to apologize. Ranger shrugs it off, says happens all the time when I park here, have fun!

Phew!

Our park guy always drives up and asks what everyone is drinking. Hes just curious in all honesty...

Latest posts