• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul and Hannah McBeth's Tour Vlog

It's legal and I don't find it particularly controversial. I suppose build-up on the disc could make it technically illegal, but unless the build-up started affecting flight characteristics in ways that were material, I don't really see it as an issue.

I agree that the most likely result of someone using this stuff on a regular basis would be slight inconsistency. Transfer some substance to the wrong disc at the wrong time and you have release problems on a touch shot.

I think the point where these kinds of things start to be a problem for a sport is when you begin to see players "gearing up" for particular shots. The sport is about technique applied to discs, not who has the "best tech". A useful reference point might be the full body suits swimmers started wearing, I think at 20K a pop, that gave them time gains.

Since our arms/hands/fingers are the Levers that propell the disc, I don't see a problem with adding grip to your hands. Some will end up on your disc inevitably..

It's legal and I don't find it particularly controversial. I suppose build-up on the disc could make it technically illegal, but unless the build-up started affecting flight characteristics in ways that were material, I don't really see it as an issue.

guys I literally just posted:

https://www.pdga.com/faq/rules/qa-eq...et-better-grip

QA-EQU-4: May I use stuff on my hands to get a better grip?

Yes. The use of grip aids is acceptable since nothing in the rules specifically prohibits their use. You may need to clean the disc periodically to prevent grip material from building up and adding thickness or weight to the disc.

if there's grip stuff left on the disc, clean it off. this q&a is pretty clear about that

etsAA1.gif

Chill out broski...we get it...this is a disc golf discussion thread...

Soooo... what if during a tournament, I dunked my hand into spider tack...then as I threw a clean disc, 1 gram of spider tack transfered to the disc. So the whole flight it had an extra gram of weight.

Are you stroking me? ;)

Chill out broski...we get it...this is a disc golf discussion thread...

Soooo... what if during a tournament, I dunked my hand into spider tack...then as I threw a clean disc, 1 gram of spider tack transfered to the disc. So the whole flight it had an extra gram of weight.

Are you stroking me? ;)

probably not, but technically it would be 2 strokes, and only if you threw it after I questioned the disc with that extra gram still on ;)

A player who throws an illegal disc during play receives two penalty throws. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.03 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

Last edited:

if there's grip stuff left on the disc, clean it off. this q&a is pretty clear about that

And I literally said buildup could make it illegal. I just don't think that makes use of grip bags, chalk, surf wax, etc. controversial.

And I literally said buildup could make it illegal. I just don't think that makes use of grip bags, chalk, surf wax, etc. controversial.

sorry sorry, my tone comes off really poorly online and I thought something was being re-hashed that was already settled. I agree with you that the use of all those things is not controversial especially because I feel like pretty much all of them DON'T leave anything noticeable on the disc behind that would require cleaning off. except maybe that stickiest stuff that paul and nick tried out

I played a course last weekend where I got soooooo much pine sap on one of my discs. even with a LOT of hand sanitizer my disc and hand that I was cleaning the disc off with felt sticky as heck for like 5 minutes afterwards and it felt so awkward to throw a disc. now I'm curious what it would be like to do that but on purpose

Re: grip enhancers - I don't wanna feel anything between my hand and the disc. Using any of those would drive me nuts. just wipe my hands and discs clem with a towel.

I might be inclined to try those friction gloves, though.

Re: round with old school DGA discs. Gotta love his enthusiasm.

I'd be more interested in what he could do with those discs on a modern course.

Re: grip enhancers - I don't wanna feel anything between my hand and the disc. Using any of those would drive me nuts. just wipe my hands and discs clem with a towel.

I might be inclined to try those friction gloves, though.

Re: round with old school DGA discs. Gotta love his enthusiasm.

My sweaty hands in the summer need a little help. Chalk bag works great. Of course loose dirt will do in a pinch.

My sweaty hands in the summer need a little help. Chalk bag works great. Of course loose dirt will do in a pinch.

Indeed, we're all different.

Whatever works for the individual.
As long as we're all free to do the same, whether we choose to or not, is on us.

If you have long fingers like me, those gloves don't work real well.

I have size L, XL, and XXL. They all seem to have the exact same finger length. :wall:

Yeah, that won't be a problem for me.
But I'm sure I'm not alone appreciating you sharing your experience on fit and sizing.