• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth #27523

Very curious as to what happened with that "mutual friend" that Brodie mentioned in the podcast today. Brodie alluded to them having done something to someone in his family, and Paul apparently was in a position to potentially stop whatever it was from happening, and then lied saying that nothing happened. Very strange...

Like most relationship issues there are two sides and maybe more perspectives.

Sounds to me like Brodie has a legit issue, but his response and way of dealing with the changes has been pretty immature.

The kicker issue appears to be after the breakup which means things were a lot more sensitive.

6q7vcn.jpg

Last edited:
I'm bummed I can't find video of this on YT. How did it go?

I was able to google it and pull it up thru his instagram.

He did a shimmy wiggle at the top of his wind-up but tossed in a decent strike to the mascot. Must have been an insane joke with him, Hannah, and Dylan, you can hear them yellin' for it.

They did show a few nice clips on the jumbotron of him during some tournaments and what not ending with his "Make Moves" advertising.

I'm obviously not a psychologist, but don't they learn how to psychoanalyze people from books, video, and lecture? Some might call that a distance. Also, I'm not claiming to diagnose him with anything clinical either, just have enough empathy to understand what frustration looks like. Then taking the giant leap of associating that frustration and quotes like "why are you flipping now?" in reference to an unexpected result, to demonstrate he might be frustrated with some of his equipment.

Just also have to touch on how your initial argument was based on me not being qualified or within an acceptable observational range to determine his feelings on his equipment and you then follow that with "he sure seems to like throwing Luna's off the tee"
*chef's kiss*

I could have been clearer and more polite with what I said. It was not personal in any way. It was a statement that psychologists have proven how difficult it is to psychoanalyze from a distance. To my knowledge (albeit it's based on a study I read 15 years ago in a field that's not my own), many psychologists have concluded it's impossible to psychoanalyze well from a distance.

That's a fair point about him saying "why are you flipping now."

The Luna's off the tee point was that he throws Lunas instead of Rocs, not Buzzz's instead of Rocs.

Wild speculation time!!

Brodie moved back to Dallas within a few months of moving to Virginia. Apparently, his wife hated it there.

Then I see MaxFlight post this and my DGCR-inspired speculation antennae start buzzing -
"that "mutual friend" that Brodie mentioned in the podcast today. Brodie alluded to them having done something to someone in his family, and Paul apparently was in a position to potentially stop whatever it was from happening, and then lied saying that nothing happened."

As for the discs, hasn't Paul used the Buzzz to great effect on many courses and in many tourneys? After all, at Northwoods - Black, in particular, even the Jomez pros (Nate, Uli, Jerm) all commented that the course (along with additional elite level courses) basically eliminates the need for mids.

Nice. Thanks. Maybe the most surprising part of that is that the White Sox managed to pull off an end of game win. I think most Sox fans were expecting that to go down as a loss.

Seconded. I drove thru once, and that was enough for me. Can't blame anyone for wanting to leave there.

I pulled up the google map and when I expanded it to see the town, Liberty U jumped out at me. Not much else there. Screw that place.

As far as Paul voicing frustration with himself or the flight of his discs…
He's ALWAYS been vocal on the tee, videographer microphones are beginning to pick up more of the chatter on and around the tee.
Whether this is intentional (I think it is) or just a result of better equipment may be up for debate.
Paul has always been vocal on the tee.

I pulled up the google map and when I expanded it to see the town, Liberty U jumped out at me. Not much else there. Screw that place.

I would not choose to live in Lynchburg, but there is quite a concentration of good to excellent disc golf courses nearby. Highlight for my trip was Independence Park in Bedford followed by dang fine brisket tacos at Beale's Beer. :D

Not that I'm in full agreement, but there is a saying about the archer versus the arrows.

PM still throws record rounds. Part of that is knowing how your disc flies.

A guy I played with for a while. I remember him complaining about a disc that turned over. I watched his release and he turned it over out of his hand.

That was a learning opportunity for me. Criticality of angle control. Doesn't mean a disc doesn't change over time. OTOH, you make a sh!tty throw, don't blame the disc.

Is Paul as dominant as he once was? Nope.

Is it because of:
a) The field?
b) Switching from Innova to Discraft?
c) Dude's just getting old?
d) He's got a lot moar on his plate/other work streams?
e) Not as hungry cuz he's makin beaucoup denero?

I think "b" is by far the least of those factors, unless you want to link it to "e" because one doesn't happen without the other. But its not because He can't get the flights he wants out of Discraft's product.

As much as they've invested in him, and the influence he has, they'll make him any damned mold he says he needs. No one wants Paul (or Paige) to bag #6 more than the folk$ at Di$craft.

Although they're no longer crushing the the competition week in and week out, come 2022 World's, they'll be on the final round lead card either setting the pace, or making the leader sweat.

Not saying they don't care about winning these other events, cuz competing is in their blood. But they simply care a LOT more about World's because they want to cement their legacy.

And the way things went down in Utah last year, they both feel they have something to prove.

Worlds and Paul in the top two goes hand in hand. . .but this year??

Just a few months ago Paul was 51st at DD Open. . 26 throws behing Ricky. . .if Paul can turn THAT around into a 1st or 2nd at Worlds i would be supriced

I feel like Paul is a like a lot of guys and he's just to a point in life where balancing everything is difficult. He's married and has all of this stuff going on around DG now too and is somewhat of a celebrity. A lot of the young guys coming up are typical young dudes that basically live and die DG, they don't have the family/wife thing yet. They're not under pressure for being the GOAT. I think all of that can wear on a guy.

However, I do think that some of McBeth not winning as much has to do with the rapid increase in the number of elite players. We're in an unprecedented era in DG where in the last 3-5 years there have been more top level talented players coming on the scene than ever. So winning is harder than it has ever been.

But also take into account he's been touring for 14 years now. It doesn't seem like it because he's not that old (32) but he's been at this a long time. It's hard to keep the same level of play for that many years, most top athletes have a five year stretch where they're at their best, we may have seen that from Paul already.

Now, personally, I think it's just a matter of stiffer competition. It's getting to be more like ball golf where there's so much talent on tour that wins are hard to come by for anyone.