• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth #27523

Don't think he's in this weekend's Cascade Challenge - 'tis a shame. 1st time Silver tourney, would be nice to see. Anybody know when's his next stateside event?

So uh, the last time Paul played a worse rated round than he did today he was a 1x World Champion. Playing in that same tournament was a 12 year old Isaac Robinson.

After 2 rounds he's on the 8th card in a medium field in Europe, just 2 strokes from missing cash.

Edit: Also shout out to Rauli for playing better than Paul McBeth through 2 rounds.

So uh, the last time Paul played a worse rated round than he did today he was a 1x World Champion. Playing in that same tournament was a 12 year old Isaac Robinson.

After 2 rounds he's on the 8th card in a medium field in Europe, just 2 strokes from missing cash.

Edit: Also shout out to Rauli for playing better than Paul McBeth through 2 rounds.

Are you tying a bow on the McBeth era?

My guess is when he wants to get hungry for competition to dominate. He will engage McBeast mode again. Until then. There's still plenty to do, and show up for to create a legacy.

Maybe he feels a bit burnt out and thinks a change in landscape is what he needs. Changing your touring year up by playing the Euro Tour as the most notorious player struck me as an odd while commendable move to promote the Euro Tour. If he felt like he needed a change from the usual life as a pro his commitment to the Euro Tour would make a lot of sense.

I hate to bet against the guy, ever. But I can't help but feel he's lost a bit. And with the fields as competitive as ever, that's not gonna win. The days of utter domination are behind him.

I'd agree that domination is out. Winning is not imo. Until he goes a couple of seasons without a top tier win, I'm not counting him out.

Who's laughing now

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 11.09.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 11.09.04 PM.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 100
He doesn't look like Mc6X week in and week out, but...

Until further notice, he's still the guy you gotta beat to win World's.

He's probably the toughest mental competitor out there. High pressure, high stakes situation, I wouldnt bet against him

The era of parody is upon us?
Parity...?
Certainly the Euro players are a bit underrated but will have to wait and see the European Open results to see if they can keep up on the tougher/more punishing OB layouts there.

Maybe he feels a bit burnt out and thinks a change in landscape is what he needs. Changing your touring year up by playing the Euro Tour as the most notorious player struck me as an odd while commendable move to promote the Euro Tour. If he felt like he needed a change from the usual life as a pro his commitment to the Euro Tour would make a lot of sense.

I think it will be most interesting for McBeth if he can qualify for both DGPT and PDGA EuroTour finals/championships. This Estonia event doesn't count for either (European Pro Tour) so he may not have practiced as much for it.

Probably some incentive for Discraft to expand their market to Europe to compete with Prodigy/Lat64/Discmania/Innova. Maybe McBeth is tasked with identifying some upcoming EU pros to sign for next season...

I feel like Paul is a good enough player that he should be able to show up to a 3 day, 3 round tournament and shoot over a 1000 rated tournament every time even with little to no practice. He shot 993 across the tournament, which is tied for his worst rated tournament since 2009, when he was still in his teens.

Even disregarding ratings he lost to the leader by 19 strokes, over 6 strokes/round.

It wouldn't have been a huge surprise to me if he showed up to this event far from peak form and only got like a top 5-8 or something. But for a world top contender to struggle to get cash at a European event is shocking to me. I'm not taking anything away from Mauri or the other 29 people that beat him. There was some amazing dg being played there and I'm super excited to see how Mauri progresses, especially.

But Paul played like ass, worse than he has in a long time. He may turn on for the majors, but he looks like he's in a slump and in his current form I wouldn't pick him to win. But idk, maybe he's dealing with something and by the time EO comes around he'll be shooting 1070+ again, who knows?

I feel like Paul is a good enough player that he should be able to show up to a 3 day, 3 round tournament and shoot over a 1000 rated tournament every time even with little to no practice. He shot 993 across the tournament, which is tied for his worst rated tournament since 2009, when he was still in his teens.

Even disregarding ratings he lost to the leader by 19 strokes, over 6 strokes/round.

It wouldn't have been a huge surprise to me if he showed up to this event far from peak form and only got like a top 5-8 or something. But for a world top contender to struggle to get cash at a European event is shocking to me. I'm not taking anything away from Mauri or the other 29 people that beat him. There was some amazing dg being played there and I'm super excited to see how Mauri progresses, especially.

But Paul played like ass, worse than he has in a long time. He may turn on for the majors, but he looks like he's in a slump and in his current form I wouldn't pick him to win. But idk, maybe he's dealing with something and by the time EO comes around he'll be shooting 1070+ again, who knows?
Whenever I see depressing stuff like this, I think of the advice Tony Alva gave his team. Which was. Just show up. If you don't feel competitive. Don't compete. Just be a face. hang out, and have fun.

It kind of makes sense, considering that he's proven he's one of the greatest of all time, has a foundation, a new course, makes millions per year and has a brand to sell.

I feel with the Europe move, he's expanding his brand (and Discraft's reach).

Being burned out on the DGPT also makes sense given his comments on Euro vs US courses on their respective tours.

Also, he doesn't need to grind for points or payouts anymore.

Last edited:
It kind of makes sense, considering that he's proven he's one of the greatest of all time, has a foundation, a new course, makes millions per year and has a brand to sell.

I feel with the Europe move, he's expanding his brand (and Discraft's reach).

Being burned out on the DGPT also makes sense given his comments on Euro vs US courses on their respective tours.

Also, he doesn't need to grind for points or payouts anymore.
I'm guessing its more a business more than a 'burned out' move.

He's been to Europe almost every year for over a decade. He's made multiple Europe trips during 3 separate seasons in his career (most being 3 trips, the DGWT year). He's also played up to 5 European events in a single trip in the past. This trip is his longest singular trip, with 8 events and a longer time frame.... but it isn't crazy out of the ordinary. Just a little unusual for its length.

Yeah, who could imagine choosing to vacation in Europe playing disc golf in multiple countries, hanging with your spouse and getting paid to do it? Sounds awful.

Latest posts