• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul Mcbeth Luna review

Thanks for the update. I was afraid they wouldn't be like the Protos, and my fears are being confirmed. :( :mad: Oh well, I had a very good day putting with the Marshal today, so I'll stick to those...

yeah I like the Marshall, similar kinda putter/flight. Don't get me wrong, the 1st run feels nice, rubbery grippy and still flat and firm.. it literally feels like a McPro in Gateway plastic haha. it flies good

Did some more testing . The first runs have a more sloped topside, or the center of the disc is higher ....basically it feels way more like a McPro Aviar than the proto ---it's Subtle, but I clearly notice a difference between the hand-feel of the proto and the 1st run.
Not to say its bad as the disc feels fine and putts well (I have not thrown them yet). The 1st Run is smooth where the proto had tiny bumps/sandy(rubber) particles which gave it a stiffer feel. 1st Run really reminds me of a Gateway plastic. And the disc really reminds me of a McPro. Proto's seemed a little thinner and more blunt round

They both putt pretty darn straight - with the 1st run seeming to dump/fade a little more (surprisingly)

So they are still the 'same mold' but it feels slightly different in the hand (only slightly) still a good putter.

that's all I got for now

Sounds like the OG/JB or CT/JB ...

Finally got mine in the mail. Not as slick as the CT/JB blend and I compared it to my OG Jawbreaker Roaches and it isn't that either. It's significantly stiffer.

When I switched from Zero Hard Mercy's to Jawbreaker Challengers I had hoped for this exact plastic blend. Now I like the mix of rigidity while having a slight yield under my thumb that Jawbreaker has.

... it literally feels like a McPro in Gateway plastic haha. it flies good

That's apt I suppose, but I have some SSSS, SSS, and SS from Gateway and they all have a drier, chalkier (though these aren't labeled "Chalky") feel. FR Luna blend is a stiff Jawbreaker. Waxier. Velvetier.

I still don't get the Aviar comparison. Aviar has a flat wing. Warden is closer. Starts flat then tapers slightly at the base. The Roach/Luna wing is categorically convex.

Finally got mine in the mail. Not as slick as the CT/JB blend and I compared it to my OG Jawbreaker Roaches and it isn't that either. It's significantly stiffer.

When I switched from Zero Hard Mercy's to Jawbreaker Challengers I had hoped for this exact plastic blend. Now I like the mix of rigidity while having a slight yield under my thumb that Jawbreaker has.

That's apt I suppose, but I have some SSSS, SSS, and SS from Gateway and they all have a drier, chalkier (though these aren't labeled "Chalky") feel. FR Luna blend is a stiff Jawbreaker. Waxier. Velvetier.

I still don't get the Aviar comparison. Aviar has a flat wing. Warden is closer. Starts flat then tapers slightly at the base. The Roach/Luna wing is categorically convex.

I hear ya im just thinking of stuff I've used. But yeah Roach/Challenger with that Crayon semi waxy semi rubbery grip. Its not bad, and they fly great. So. yeah, but I still prefer the protos. I just liked that plastic feel better, likely doesn't grab chains as well though. I still have a couple brand new lunas ill wait to see if im gonna use.

I got my two first run Lunas in the mail today and took them out back to the practice basket. Here are my thoughts:

Plastic: The first run blend feels almost identical to a pair of super firm organic wizards I had 2-3 years ago. It's firm but has just enough grip so it's not fresh KC Pro slick. I probably putted the best I ever have with those Wizards but unfortunately I left them outside for a few weeks and the UV ruined the grip.

Putting: They putt like my JB Roaches but with a super clean release which gets me some extra distance with a little less effort; I'm guessing this is due to the nice and firm plastic. I'm used to the Roach flight so I'm getting a lot of early fades on putts outside of 35'. Inside of 35' they're great.

Throwing: I only have about ~120' of space to throw in my back yard so I only tested upshots. They worked quite well for backhand and forehand approaches. A lot of glide and good stability.

My verdict is they are a great putter. I'm not sure they are any better than a Roach if it were available in the same plastic, but I'll see where this goes.

curious if they can ever duplicate the Proto run again? Would be awesome to have the Proto just be its own plastic and run some of them every now and then, the Protos are my fave, the 1st run are ok, but id choose Proto over 1st all day

curious if they can ever duplicate the Proto run again? Would be awesome to have the Proto just be its own plastic and run some of them every now and then, the Protos are my fave, the 1st run are ok, but id choose Proto over 1st all day

They ran out of the white rubber that made the protos what they were and the rubber isn't being produced anymore so I doubt they will be able to recreate the blend

They ran out of the white rubber that made the protos what they were and the rubber isn't being produced anymore so I doubt they will be able to recreate the blend

That sounds like some poor planning if true. Using a rubber that is not being produced anymore for a brand new proto putter?

I get that it wasn't available for the 1st run and that they maybe wanted to try something else - but in the future

like, I don't think that material is now extinct. haha I'm sure they can re-create it close if they tried. just sayin' would be a nice thing since the protos were $

I get that it wasn't available for the 1st run and that they maybe wanted to try something else - but in the future

like, I don't think that material is now extinct. haha I'm sure they can re-create it close if they tried. just sayin' would be a nice thing since the protos were $

I'd like that too, but I don't think they'll make the effort to do that. They're going to concentrate on the Luna (that McBeth is doing so well with), and just not worry about what the rest of us might prefer.

Plastic isn't made from scratch by the disc manufacturers, it's brought in from companies who produce the polymers for the plastic and rubber. My wife works in silicone manufacturing so I have an idea of what it takes to make a plastic or rubber polymer. If the resources aren't available, the polymers can't be produced.They were pretty clear, the rubber isn't being produced anymore so that particular run of plastic is now impossible to produce

Plastic isn't made from scratch by the disc manufacturers, it's brought in from companies who produce the polymers for the plastic and rubber. My wife works in silicone manufacturing so I have an idea of what it takes to make a plastic or rubber polymer. If the resources aren't available, the polymers can't be produced.They were pretty clear, the rubber isn't being produced anymore so that particular run of plastic is now impossible to produce

But in the future ----eventually ---- you'd think it should be a possibility. We don't know the facts of the product, supply etc - I know it was said that the material wasn't available. Just curious if in the future.

But I hear what you're saying...and that's a bummer...especially making a disc that is now really impossible to replace. Thankfully I was able to snag 6 identical ish ones. Im sure they'll last for some time. :doh:

I love everything about the Luna. Perfect firmness, great stability for drives, upshots, and putts. But I can't see myself investing into them much further if they can't address the durability issue. I was practicing 70-80' touch upshots in my yard and accidentally hit a small wood pile next to my shed.

Ended up with a nice little slice in the disc. Disappointing as the shot couldn't have been traveling more than 10mph when it hit. We have some rocky fairways here in the Northeast and I'm a little nervous how these will hold up.
52674cae55645ebc9937f18cbd7de210.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I love everything about the Luna. Perfect firmness, great stability for drives, upshots, and putts. But I can't see myself investing into them much further if they can't address the durability issue. I was practicing 70-80' touch upshots in my yard and accidentally hit a small wood pile next to my shed.

Ended up with a nice little slice in the disc. Disappointing as the shot couldn't have been traveling more than 10mph when it hit. We have some rocky fairways here in the Northeast and I'm a little nervous how these will hold up.

Well, I doubt they are going to rework the plastic. Just get a Ti Roach?

Well, I doubt they are going to rework the plastic. Just get a Ti Roach?
Already have a TI Roach that I like but they mold up with a higher shoulder than normal. The Luna gave the TI Roach stability but a low shoulder.

I'm hopeful they they can tweak the blend slightly to make it more durable. Or at least drop the price closer to Jawbreaker.

I'm hopeful they they can tweak the blend slightly to make it more durable. Or at least drop the price closer to Jawbreaker.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

My infatuation with the Luna was short lived. I got ~2 hours of practice in at the course and they just weren't working for me. TI Roaches are a much better driving/upshot putter and surprisingly the Soft-X Roach works best for my putt.

I like the feel of the Jawbreaker Roach the best for putting but for some reason the Jawbreaker plastic is giving me all sorts of crazy bounces off of the basket. I get a ton of dead center putts that hit the pole and bounce straight back or if I miss chains and hit the top of the cage they bounce pretty far. I'd blame it on me putting too hard but I don't have a crazy fast spin putt, It's more of a beanbag toss style arc with a little wrist flick at the end.

I like the feel of the Jawbreaker Roach the best for putting but for some reason the Jawbreaker plastic is giving me all sorts of crazy bounces off of the basket. I get a ton of dead center putts that hit the pole and bounce straight back or if I miss chains and hit the top of the cage they bounce pretty far. I'd blame it on me putting too hard but I don't have a crazy fast spin putt, It's more of a beanbag toss style arc with a little wrist flick at the end.

I bag 2 JB Roaches, one putter and one approach. You've mentioned some of the contributing factors - cost, plastic, durability. I don't have roll away or bounce issues any worse than other putters I've tried. The more I use them, the more I like the JB plastic for both putt and approach. Remains to be seen if I still like them when it gets really hot.

It would be nice to see the Roach in a slightly firmer mid grade plastic but I'm OK with bagging a "poor man's Luna".

I like the Luna. I'd probably like the Roach just as well but I prefer the firm, chalky plastic. Feels exactly like the BT Hard Harp I pair it with. I had a few spit outs early but that appears to have stopped with some wear on the rim. Haven't had any issues with roll-aways either.

That rounded bottom combined with the plastic gives me the smoothest release of any putter I have tried.

Dings and scratches don't bother me at all as long as it doesn't bend and warp (this is why I like BT Hard but not Origio). In fact I like them in the same way I like a muskie lure with teeth marks from past successes. I'd really like to see the Buzz, Wasp and Zone in this same blend. Right now I throw Pro MD3, DX Rocs, and BT Hard Harps but I could be persuaded...

Last edited:

Latest posts