• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth signs 10 year, $10 000 000 contract with Discraft

But look at the growth of the sport, especially since Covid! It's BOOMING! Five years from now Paul will regret agreeing to such a long contract!

Right now the money for the sport is probably 98% coming from players. For the sport to truly grow into serious level up bucks, the casual non playing fan base has to grow immensely. Until then we'll probably see similar sponsorships from other disc golf manufacturers for top elite players. When something more mass consumer friendly other than binoculars sponsors the sport, that's when things will get intere$ting.

Disc Golf and basketball both involve putting an object in a basket. Ergo, analogy is valid. :|

*ponders*

OMD has the wrong idea about making the sport harder for pros. Screw smaller baskets.
Imagine if players had to defend.

Get rid of the 3 second violation in the lane. That will end the endless amount of 3's.

Oh you where talking about disc golf. New rule, players are only allowed 3 seconds to putt inside the circle. :eek:

...Scottie Pippen was an overpaid, sidekick to the best player in the game.....I think I also miss this analogy.

Without Scottie Pippen, the Bulls would not have won any of their 6 world championships.

d24e91477a22c72dce40323f7d8e9f77.jpg

If we're gonna get tangential all up in here... Jordan couldn't beat superteams. Couldn't get to the Finals until expansion diluted the talent pool and made it easier for a singular talent to carry shallower teams. Jordan was the very best player in an era where a team could win rings just by having the very best player in the sport and a pretty strong supporting cast.

When I heard this news I was blown away! This is wonderful of course for McBETH & great for DG pro level players.

But look at the growth of the sport, especially since Covid! It's BOOMING!
Five years from now Paul will regret agreeing to such a long contract!

This is exactly like the famous Scottie Pippen deal!!

Paul will be more than comfortable of course but watch what happens over the next few years with players contracts, they will explode.

There's a BIG difference between "the sport is booming" and "the dominant professional league of the sport is booming".

As some examples, soccer is a MAJOR participation sport in the US, professional leagues here get table scraps comparatively and have for a very long time. Heck, tons of people have been playing cornhole for a long time...very little professional money to be had. On the flip side, NASCAR booms as a sport, even though very few people comparatively participate in track racing. The sport itself is not the same thing as the predominant professional league.

I also wouldn't overestimate how much growth may slow down/stop/regress once we're out of COVID. It's a pretty sweet spot growth-wise to be one of the few things people can do outside in a competitive way. Heck, the reason I started playing again is I needed an outlet for all the basketball games I was playing in that got stopped.

Frankly, before this particular thread, I couldn't have named a single professional disc golfer unless I looked at some of my discs and saw whose names were on it.

This is really nothing like the Scottie Pippen deal at all. His contract at the time was most decidedly not groundbreaking. He signed a contract that basically nobody else at his level would have signed...I have a hard time believing any of the other top players wouldn't have signed McBeth's contract.

most casuals and n00bz mock the name on discs

"let me see if i can throw this like kenny klimbo"

or now interchange kenny with paul macbeth

what is the respect vs mockery ratio of players names on discs

either way doesnt matter paul macbeth laughin and speedin all the way to his credit union

If you google Paul McBeth, it literally comes up as "American Golfer".

The names are so much more pronounced on discs these days too, I've literally heard more than one person say they were going to through their "Paul McBeth", in a non-ironic way, because that was the name plastered across the disc, and the actual disc name is much smaller at the bottom.

My friends and I call it Paul McWareBeast because of the claws on the 4x and 5x discs. It's not disrespect, just being goofy.

Well, it finally happened---multi-year, multi-million$ contracts for disc golfers. Which means they're now more affluent than, say, a pro cornhole team, or an entire ultimate league. Happy and satisfied now, nerdboys? (Pffft---of course not)

Last edited:
Do pro cornhole players have bags or boards with their name on them? I think the difference is that discs are not nearly as easy to make at home (See Trash Panda's youtube channel) but cornhole boards and bags are easily made with things a lot of people have in their homes.

Well, it finally happened---multi-year, multi-million$ contracts for disc golfers. Which means they're now more affluent than, say, a pro cornhole team, or an entire ultimate league. Happy and satisfied now, nerdboys? (Pffft---of course not)
Is that the proper comparison?

Wouldn't the best comparison be between Paul and what the top Ulty player is getting from a sponsor? Not from the AUDL or MLU.

That said - I think Paul has whomever that is beat.

Who else besides Paul got a multi year, multi million dollar contract?

Thats just a liberal use of English. You think this will be the only one? Ever? It's a process---there'll be more. Don't pretend ignorance of capitalistic ambitions. There's more than one thread where the discussion is about how much pro dgers should be making.
C'mon, Jay, you're really astute---don't tell me you don't think there'll soon be more. Maybe a year or two, but soon.

Thats just a liberal use of English. You think this will be the only one? Ever? It's a process---there'll be more. Don't pretend ignorance of capitalistic ambitions. There's more than one thread where the discussion is about how much pro dgers should be making.
C'mon, Jay, you're really astute---don't tell me you don't think there'll soon be more.

No I don't think there will. IMO the bigger reason for that contract is how good a business man McBeth is, not his future golf winning.

I admit he is the best in dg at that right now, but I can't believe it won't be long before others (esp. minorities) clamor for their share.

Is that the proper comparison?

Wouldn't the best comparison be between Paul and what the top Ulty player is getting from a sponsor? Not from the AUDL or MLU.

That said - I think Paul has whomever that is beat.
That was the point Chris---no one else is even sitting at the same table.