• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth signs 10 year, $10 000 000 contract with Discraft

No I don't think there will. IMO the bigger reason for that contract is how good a business man McBeth is, not his future golf winning.

He wouldn't have the contract if he didn't have 5 world championships, and the potential to win more world championships.

No amount of business sense would have landed him that deal or even close to it, prior to who he is today.

Unless and until more money starts coming into disc golf from things OTHER than disc sales, I think we are near our cap as far as payouts, sponsorship money, etc. The more top players there are means the fewer wins by each of said top players each year.

For big money, how about seeking some non disc-golf related corporate sponsors? Maybe some teams could be established based upon sponsors or some other criteria, and some short (4-6) series of team events be created. I think some really creative marketing advancements need to be made--large companies (Gatorade, UnderArmor, etc) need to be convinced that sponsoring and helping to grow the sport will be in their bottom line best interests as well. Just thinking out loud with all this...

Of course all this assumes the powers that be want that kind of growth. Personally, I am quite happy with the state of disc golf right now. I am not sure I want big money to start entering the sport (sorry pro players!). I live in an area with many courses, and other than errant throws, my cost to play remains very low compared to many sports/activities. My kids can easily play and like to, a 9 hole round takes less than an hour, and I am hopeful I can play well into my 70s or more. I mean for me, its the greatest sport out there for these reasons. Can't really see how it could be improved for me personally.

Unless and until more money starts coming into disc golf from things OTHER than disc sales, I think we are near our cap as far as payouts, sponsorship money, etc. The more top players there are means the fewer wins by each of said top players each year.

For big money, how about seeking some non disc-golf related corporate sponsors? Maybe some teams could be established based upon sponsors or some other criteria, and some short (4-6) series of team events be created. I think some really creative marketing advancements need to be made--large companies (Gatorade, UnderArmor, etc) need to be convinced that sponsoring and helping to grow the sport will be in their bottom line best interests as well. Just thinking out loud with all this...

Bushnell figured it out. More products will come. A shoe company might take a stab at McBeth next, or someone else for that matter, maybe a whole team as you suggested.
I don't think we are at a cap yet for disc sales, just disc manufacturing currently.

Of course all this assumes the powers that be want that kind of growth. Personally, I am quite happy with the state of disc golf right now. I am not sure I want big money to start entering the sport (sorry pro players!). I live in an area with many courses, and other than errant throws, my cost to play remains very low compared to many sports/activities. My kids can easily play and like to, a 9 hole round takes less than an hour, and I am hopeful I can play well into my 70s or more. I mean for me, its the greatest sport out there for these reasons. Can't really see how it could be improved for me personally.

The foundation of this idea is viewers. Even with the increase in disc golf players, they are still the only ones watching disc golf. I don't see a time where disc golf viewing appeals to anyone but players.

The foundation of this idea is viewers. Even with the increase in disc golf players, they are still the only ones watching disc golf. I don't see a time where disc golf viewing appeals to anyone but players.

Or any sponsors outside disc golf in the future. There's no money in it for them.

Bushnell figured it out.

Based on what I've seen it was a fairly cost effective marketing campaign to test the waters. Give a few top players free bonocs in return for doing a video pushing the product. Throw a few ads around, create a landing page, etc. If the product had some disc golf branding on it, or perhaps "The McBeth Range Finder" that would obviously show a more risk taking long term investment in the sport.

I think this undersells the sport's visual and aural appeal. I think this gets to where there's a lot of importance at the elementary school level. As it is - the sport is an oddity to most potential viewers. The more people grow up learning about it and understanding the sport, the easier it will be to suck them in for that inherent appeal to grab them.

Based on what I've seen it was a fairly cost effective marketing campaign to test the waters. Give a few top players free bonocs in return for doing a video pushing the product. Throw a few ads around, create a landing page, etc. If the product had some disc golf branding on it, or perhaps "The McBeth Range Finder" that would obviously show a more risk taking long term investment in the sport.

They've been putting up signs at events, that's got to show some amount of continuing investment.

It'll come. Give it time. During my pro darts career I was sponsored by a whiskey distillery (Seagrams).......and a cosmetics company (Allouette), of all things. It would be interesting to see Budweiser, Dodge and Nike banners lining the gallery at pro events.

It'll come. Give it time. During my pro darts career I was sponsored by a whiskey distillery (Seagrams).......and a cosmetics company (Allouette), of all things. It would be interesting to see Budweiser, Dodge and Nike banners lining the gallery at pro events.

I think disc golf hitting the big time, like pro darts is a reasonable, yet lofty goal. I must place the caveat of American pro darts, on that statement.

In my opinion, as a participant, watching a darts tourney on TV is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Even though I was playing, I never understood why anyone would want to watch it, lol. I find watching disc golf far more interesting, just like ball golf. Up until last September, I'd seen these weird looking baskets with chains in one of our city parks, but didn't think anyone played. Who knew?

I find watching disc golf far more interesting, just like ball golf.

I think the reason alot of disc golfers don't enjoy watching disc golf, is due to the physical addition of actually playing. This sport is highly tactile, to sit back and watch someone else participate in their addiction (subliminal addiction at that more than likely) has to send a negative response to some people. I love watching live disc golf. I always have to go out and throw after watching it however. ;) lol...

There HAS to be a very high percentage of people introduced to frisbees at some point in their life. I have yet to show someone disc golf footage and at the least not have a conversation strike up about frisbees, frolf, etc. While the sport is gaining traction, we're also at the point where players for whatever reason, show very little personality diversity, so for a sport that has it's roots at the beach, we come across pretty bland to new non playing viewers. Our current live production highlights that all too well unfortunately.

I think the reason alot of disc golfers don't enjoy watching disc golf, is due to the physical addition of actually playing. This sport is highly tactile, to sit back and watch someone else participate in their addiction (subliminal addiction at that more than likely) has to send a negative response to some people. I love watching live disc golf. I always have to go out and throw after watching it however. ;) lol...

There HAS to be a very high percentage of people introduced to frisbees at some point in their life. I have yet to show someone disc golf footage and at the least not have a conversation strike up about frisbees, frolf, etc. While the sport is gaining traction, we're also at the point where players for whatever reason, show very little personality diversity, so for a sport that has it's roots at the beach, we come across pretty bland to new non playing viewers. Our current live production highlights that all too well unfortunately.

I really enjoy watching and following as a spectator sport. I started watching because I was playing, but I think I'd watch and follow even if I stopped playing.

Flight of the disc is my thing. I came from a stick and ball background. Absolutely love playing catch. I shoot basketball by myself for hours even as an adult. I just love the feeling of the ball coming out of my hand and watching it go where I want. And I love watching other people throw or shoot. So disc golf aligns with that, especially the open courses. I don't particularly like watching woods golf because you necessarily see the intended line or the result.

...but I also don't really get the "we're a counter culture" thing that is promoted so much on this forum. I don't see that in real life. I see the same kind of people that I'd expect to see at the gym or the basketball court or whatever else.

I really enjoy watching and following as a spectator sport. I started watching because I was playing, but I think I'd watch and follow even if I stopped playing.

Flight of the disc is my thing. I came from a stick and ball background. Absolutely love playing catch. I shoot basketball by myself for hours even as an adult. I just love the feeling of the ball coming out of my hand and watching it go where I want. And I love watching other people throw or shoot. So disc golf aligns with that, especially the open courses. I don't particularly like watching woods golf because you necessarily see the intended line or the result.

...but I also don't really get the "we're a counter culture" thing that is promoted so much on this forum. I don't see that in real life. I see the same kind of people that I'd expect to see at the gym or the basketball court or whatever else.

This has been over blown about disc golfers. Maybe because we want? to be considered that or it got started and no one decided to check to see if it's real. It isn't.

The hippy rep is what started that and really there were not many real hippies involved, just people who were from the era of hippies. Everyone threw Frisbees back in those days, not just long haired people.

This has been over blown about disc golfers. Maybe because we want? to be considered that or it got started and no one decided to check to see if it's real. It isn't.

The hippy rep is what started that and really there were not many real hippies involved, just people who were from the era of hippies. Everyone threw Frisbees back in those days, not just long haired people.

I see those dudes. Like if I go play early on a Friday, I always see these old guys wearing floppy socks and wrinkled tie dies and carrying shoulder bags, smoking weed when absolutely no one else is, and just scoffing at people who are parking holes by throwing overstable discs forehand.

...but they stick out like a sore thumb. And honestly, I think they are fake.

I see those dudes. Like if I go play early on a Friday, I always see these old guys wearing floppy socks and wrinkled tie dies and carrying shoulder bags, smoking weed when absolutely no one else is, and just scoffing at people who are parking holes by throwing overstable discs forehand.

True story. Big Ball Golf planted all those guys at our local courses to try to build a negative perception of disc golfers in the local community. FakeAF.

lolol. This is funny. Everyone in disc golf, and golf, and mostly in society smokes weed. Don't pretend it doesn't happen on the disc golf course. It's not just the hippies, either.

You seriously think anyone would go out of the way to plant fake hippies on a disc golf course? wowzer. Walks away slowly....avoids eye contact....