• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay for returned disc?

I throw a few discs that are can't be replaced, like my dyed discs, and my 4 Chain Magnet. On the back of my Magnet it says, ($20 reward if found and returned) and I would pay it. Its the best putter I ever had. Now, I did have a guy find one of my dyed discs that was lost for 2 weeks, and I offered him money, but he would not take it. He was a nice guy.

yes, I forgot to mention.. My name and cell phone # were on it. Thank you for the quick replies!!
In that case sounds like the dude is a total dick.i wouldnt have givin him anything after his bellyaching.its a compensation that could be offered not asked for by the individual who found the disc....some people????

In that case sounds like the dude is a total dick.i wouldnt have givin him anything after his bellyaching.its a compensation that could be offered not asked for by the individual who found the disc....some people????

If your number was on there, he should have at least tried to call. I always call on a disc I find if it has a number.

I don't expect anything for calling the number on discs I've found, nor do I typically offer. I know how glad I am to get a disc returned, and I'm genuinely happy to do so for others, but to ask for a finder's fee for a disc that's clearly labelled, IMO is douchebaggery.

I have paid $5 for people who've retrieved my disc out of water however... that takes a bit more on their part.

I play with a guy who is a great guy minus one thing. He has lost over 10 discs (he's not the greatest) and has never had any returned. He does put his name and number on it. I make phone calls to people all the time if I find anything. He on the other hand says that no one calls him so why should he call them. So now if I'm playing with him and he finds a disc I ask to look at it and he tosses it over and then I call for him. Thankfully he hasn't found a disc in a while. I on the other hand have found 7 this month and 3 had ink. 2 returned. The other I was told to keep it because its not stable enough for what he was looking for. His exact quote was "that disc couldn't hold water if it was a metal pot."

I usually offer something nice straight up, but for that kind of douchebaggery would write "IM A F******* MASSIVE DOUCHE" on it in huge letters and tell him to keep it.

In this case he should have received nothing. Never expect anything for returning a disc unless it is help with shipping costs.

My son returned a disc today and made me proud. We were out getting a disc my wife spotted in the water. Guy runs over and asks if we found a boss with his name and # on it. My sons finds out where he lost it at, scavenges the water in the general area, and actually finds it. Sure enough, name and #. Guy keeps asking my son what he wants for it. My son tosses it out to the guy and says "We're good". Guy was thrilled to get his disc back and we ended up finding 3 more with no ink.

1) As someone said earlier, it's possible that he bought the disc inked and then happened to run into you, which is pretty piss-poor luck. If that happened to me, it would crack me up and I would definitely hand it back with a laugh. He had zero right to expect anything in return.

2) When people call me, and it's a disc I want back, I offer to buy them any disc of their choice (under $20, from somewhere with free shipping) as a thank you. I am definitely not used to getting called out here in SC.

3) I have an offer of a reward inked on my OOP Beast. So far it's been returned once.

4) This is the perfect place to share an anecdote that happened to me two or so weeks ago. I draw the same pinwheel design on the bottom of all my discs, to go along with my name/cell# and as of recently, my email address. I was playing by myself up at Black Mouse and a pair of guys let me throw through. I pulled out a disc, and went through my release a few times before throwing. Behind me, they lean in close to each other and talk under their breath, shaking their heads. This gives me pause. I throw, and very nearly park it. Then, one rolls his eyes and they start laughing, which made no sense given my throw. He says, "So, we saw your disc and..." He reaches into his bag and pulls out a disc I lost a few weeks back, "...is this your disc, bro?" Makes all that sharpie work worth it. (I suppose it's also relevant that he hadn't called me when he found it.)

I will pay for the finder's trouble to get it back to me, such as for shipping. But in a situation like the op describes, I would not pay anything: the guy was trying to profit from getting outed as a thief. Takes big cojones to try that, but I wouldn't reward it.

i would have taken my disc back and told the guy off. name and number and he tries to pull that SH!T. not only would i not shoot with him id let him play before me so i can tee off at his head.

Last edited:
This is the perfect place to share an anecdote that happened to me two or so weeks ago. I draw the same pinwheel design on the bottom of all my discs, to go along with my name/cell# and as of recently, my email address. I was playing by myself up at Black Mouse and a pair of guys let me throw through. I pulled out a disc, and went through my release a few times before throwing. Behind me, they lean in close to each other and talk under their breath, shaking their heads. This gives me pause. I throw, and very nearly park it. Then, one rolls his eyes and they start laughing, which made no sense given my throw. He says, "So, we saw your disc and..." He reaches into his bag and pulls out a disc I lost a few weeks back, "...is this your disc, bro?" Makes all that sharpie work worth it. (I suppose it's also relevant that he hadn't called me when he found it.)

So the douchebag that didn't call you made good? I love it!

I would have told him "karma is gonna get you back for being a douche, obviously you need this more than I do." then I'd give him $5 and walk away.

So the douchebag that didn't call you made good? I love it!

Yeah, I actually think that's why they were laughing...he was sheepish about returning a disc he didn't call on, but how much worse would it have been if he didn't hand it back to the obvious owner in person...talk about bad karma! The whole thing was more funny than anything else.
I was actually pretty stoked. It's a lovely Star TL that is starting to break in nicely.

Now if only someone would call me on my ultra-beat-in FLX Buzzz that I lost a few weeks ago...nothing like listening for chains on a blind hole and instead losing your go-to.

Called a guy today on a Star SL....He sounded happy with the call, and said just keep the disc, that he didn't throw it much....Anyway, clear conscience, and both of us walked away in a good mood. Not making the call can just lead to potentially sticky situations along with just being jerkish...

Same deal here. Found a guy's Champ Tide-dyed Beast and call while on the course. Thought he might still be nearby. He was headed to Houston and lost it that morning. He said keep it, Thanks for calling. I would not have asked for money, but if I shipped it, he should pay the postage.

I would have taken my disc and then told him that if that is the way he is, then I prefer to throw alone. I wouldn't want any more of my discs ending up in his bag.

Rick G

I have paid $5 for people who've retrieved my disc out of water however... that takes a bit more on their part.

I once offered $5 to a casual teen walking across my home course to climb what we affectionately call the "poison ivy tree" due to the poison ivy growing all over it. The kid took the $5 and got my disc. I still feel guilty for not telling the kid we call it the "poison ivy tree". I am so ashamed.

Rick G

i would pay the person who might have found my glo champ aviar P&A to get it back. I would pay for the shipping or enough to get him anohter disc. or give him a disc or something. I just want my disc back

with your name and number on the disc and that guy not calling you and actually using the disc, you should have taken $5 from him.

My most impressive return or should I say attempt was a blizzard boss or dominator I found at gAteway in Fort Worth. I find a disc with just a name and a bunch of drawings on it that looks to be of a kids doing. The name was strange enough I figure I would take a shot and try pdga.com. Sure enough that strange name showed up with another player with same last name. They are from like Bangor Maine. I decided that I probably have the kids disc and that ill try to get in touch with the parent. So I write pdga and explain what I was trying to do. A few days later They said they would contact the people on my behalf and give them my contact info. Well during this time I decide you know I bet they won't do this as its kind if strange and may be against their code or something. So with the different last name I decide what the hell ill type it on Facebook. Sure enough third name on the list matched the dads name. From Bangor and has a picture of innova basket on it. Bingo that was easy. So I wrote him explaining that I had found the disc blah blah blah. Well a few daysater pdga actually have the parent my contact info. And emailed me. It said it was the child's mother and so on. And said yea he must of most it at the worlds in charolette and was wondering where in north carina I was. I said no mam I found it in Texas. I never heard back from her again. So either I got the dad in trouble or she didn't believe the story of me finding it lol. I was actually ready to mail it back mostly cause it was a kids disc and it made for a cool story. Maybe someday ill get a chance to return it