• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay to play disc golf

I own Phantom Falls, and I ask PP for a donation to help me improve & the course. I have not had any neg feedback. I think this sport is growing faster than public courses are being built, and those who choose to share their private labor of love should be rewarded for filling the void.

My son and I are hoping to get your way in a few months. All I here are good things about your place. We can't wait!:hfive:

I really don't care if it is free or not, I would pay to play all of the time. I think that we are lucky that the numerous parks department has spent $5000-$15000 to put in a course. I think that anything more than a dollar or two is excessive because course maintenance is not something that costs a whole lot of money. There is one course in my area that charges and it is $1, which I am happy to pay because it goes to course maintenance and the community center.

I used to play just as much golf and I do disc golf now, my family belonged to a country club so it was free for me, but $70 for my friends. So we could only play 9 holes for $35 and I always payed half so I could get people to play with me. So I am so glad that I found a game that doesn't cost me $250 a week, plus the countless numbers of golf balls I lost every week.

I was just thinking of this the other day. I went to my local course to play and there were about 9 or 10 4somes+, and 3 or 4 twosomes. If this course charged just $2.00 to play it would have made $100 for that one moment that one day, and probably made lots more. While this is a public course in a public park, I would have no trouble paying a couple of bucks to play.

On a selfish note: if it would limit the amount of people playing so it wouldn't take an hour to play only 9 holes.

^Well, here in LA, Sylmar is $2 and most others are free. The price does not affect the size of the crowds, in fact, I think it is one of the busier courses out here.

On the same point, you can see your money at work on the course. Constant improvements, pins regularly rotated, trees being planted, blah blah blah blah..... I am all for paying $2. It's chump change.

I paid $12 for a round on a ball golf course. Kind of a rip off and a meh course design, but once again, I did pay it, didn't I? We had the whole course to ourselves and that was pretty sweet. I also understand that a PRIVATE golf course needs to pay the bills, so thats that. The magic number I guess is $12. We have played it multiple times, too, btw. So the fee is not keeping us away.

I would actually say I would PREFER to pay around $2 for a day pass at a course. It really is NOTHING, and as long as it's going to the course, then I am happy. I have heard all this yahoo talk about planting seeds and what not, and if that's your thing, go for it. I would rather pay 2 bucks and PLAY!

We have one pay to play course around here , and its only $3. Plus they have a pro shop. What is amazeing is, the lack of "riff raff" and TDDs there is out there. There is another "Free" course only 5 miles from the pay coures and its always packed with TDDs and people that look at you strange course carring a bag. They also usually have huge groups that don't let you play through.

I think the pay to play courses are nicer, and have less jack asses running around on them.

That was my whole point of being able to play quicker. There seems to be friendlier people on the pay to play courses and less of the "what are you doing here" crowd.

most of the course i've seen that are pay to play are all imaculatant even the private ones..... but i do agree with the policy cept token Creek in madison.... the other 3 course in town that are free are superior to token in my eyes but at token u could defenitely get more rounds in cuz everyone doesn't wanna pay

I agree. And Token Creek (Vallarta Ast) is much better kept than Heistand or Elver (I believe due to the pay to play)......but is not as good a course by a long shot as the other 2 (a lot having to do with lack of elevation, but also its lack of challenging fairways).

We have to distinguish what pay to play is, there are different kinds.

1. Paying to get into a state park where the Disc Golf is free when you get in
2. Paying additional fees or paying soley for use of disc golf area
3. Paying per round of disc golf. (ex. Tupelo Bay)

Most families will have no problem paying $6 a person to hit the local Miniature Golf Complex, so why would $3 to play disc golf be a problem. Plus it would keep the riff raff away for the most part, because they would go down the street to the free courses.

I would actually prefer it if all of the courses were pay to play. The cost, would generally be minimal, and those funds could be used for course upkeep and maintenance. I miss playing more ball golf for the ammenities offered at ANY golf course...bathrooms, snacks, pro shop for odds and ends, etc.

Plus, as I get older, I have less and less patience for "riff raf"....

Philosophically, I was 50/50 on the pay to play when it was first instituted at the metroparks in southeastern Michigan. On the one had, one of the major draws of disc golf is its relative inexpensiveness. On the other hand, go play cass benton on Saturday afternoon and see if you can get through a round in less than 4 hours. Additionally, the teenagers at Cass are disrespectful of the signs and the trees.

The ptp seems to have eliminated this at Hudson Mills. Kensington was still packed this past summer, possibly due to the installation of a brand new course (Willow does not have ptp because the course is never used in the summer time due to the mosquito army from hell!)

All in all, I think ptp is a positive feature at certain disc golf venues. I would not have all courses ptp, because I think it would discourage people from TRYING the sport. However, having ptp at the marquis courses of a disc golf community naturally separates the people who are there to enjoy a day in the park from those who are there to specifically enjoy a round of disc golf.

I think ptp has its place but I like the "free" aspect of dg. Your basic courses should be free so noobs can learn and get into the sport and those of us that just want a quick or short course to play for the hell of it can do so without paying can have fun. Alot of these course are funded by sales tax, at least in my area, so I don't want to pay more than once for them if the city is not going to keep it up. If the course is maintained well and improvements are done I don't mind paying something to play.

Just a thought;
I feel ptp may lead to many players feeling that they don't have to volunteer. I feel this may carry over to event volunteering.

I have been installing my own pay to play course (Fern Valley) for over 5 years now. Due to lack of money and time it's still not completely ready for the general public. It is on over 45 acres of private land in western Ky.

I think paying a small fee or donation to play anybody's private course should be a given. If you ask any course owner that has done maintenance on a wooded course, or just tried keeping all 18 fairways mowed and playable. They will tell you that it takes alot of time and money.

I always planned for mine to be a pay to play and camp course. Something like 2 to $5 to play all day and $5 a night to camp. I also plan to make it even cheaper then that for my locals. Heck I'm not out to rip anyone off, I want everyone to play. Personally, I would let almost anybody play my course for free at least once or twice. And I have. If the course is worth playing, $2-5 bucks ain't that bad... Besides gas and time ain't free.

I have been installing my own pay to play course (Fern Valley) for over 5 years now. Due to lack of money and time it's still not completely ready for the general public. It is on over 45 acres of private land in western Ky.

I think paying a small fee or donation to play anybody's private course should be a given. If you ask any course owner that has done maintenance on a wooded course, or just tried keeping all 18 fairways mowed and playable. They will tell you that it takes alot of time and money.

I always planned for mine to be a pay to play and camp course. Something like 2 to $5 to play all day and $5 a night to camp. I also plan to make it even cheaper then that for my locals. Heck I'm not out to rip anyone off, I want everyone to play. Personally, I would let almost anybody play my course for free at least once or twice. And I have. If the course is worth playing, $2-5 bucks ain't that bad... Besides gas and time ain't free.

Sounds sweet. Have a friend that his own 28 hole gem and he does the same thing when he runs tourneys up there. A couple new guys get mad about it untill you bring up the fact thatgas and time arent free.

Keep us posted when this baby is open.

I don't mind paying if the course's worth it. My local course is pay to play and it usually goes to the upkeep and paying its staff.

I would prefer to pay something nominal such as $1/day so that I don't fell guilty when I complain about something needing fixed. Although I would rather just sponsor a hole for my business and have it maintained like the adopt a highway program.

A cool way to asking players to pay is to donate to a charity. Say money or a non - parishiable food item. Especially if it is a budding course and the operators of the course are looking for feedback on how others like or dislike the course. It is a win - win situation. You get people to pay and a non profit orginazation gets a contribution. Plus it makes the operators of the course look good in the public eye. Maybe it will result in more people coming out to play. Then the operator has an ideal of how much is a worthy daily fee.

Just a thought.

Just a thought.