• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay to Play? Is it Okay?

i dont know why you would want to pay more for the great free sp;ort of disc golf. I agree with the fact that you get what you pay for, if your lucky your county or city make a beautiful course, however the idea of super nice private courses kick ass. 5$ for a round seems steep though, they could easily give a day pass for that much, most people will only play a round or two.

i dont know why you would want to pay more for the great free sp;ort of disc golf. I agree with the fact that you get what you pay for, if your lucky your county or city make a beautiful course, however the idea of super nice private courses kick ass. 5$ for a round seems steep though, they could easily give a day pass for that much, most people will only play a round or two.

because it filters out the no offense, riff raff
they take care of it way better than a public course
it's really good

that's the 3 best reasons i can think of, and you can always not play

I have paid to play 5 different courses, each was more than worth it

I think $5 is more the norm for a day pass, with a few exceptions being $5 or so per round. If no one likes the course, no one will pay to play it. No one is forcing anyone to play P2P courses. Like has been said, you don't see a lot of chuckers on P2P courses. This fact alone makes it money well spent.
I'm lucky enough that our local courses are free, but it's thanks to the local club and the fund-raising they do that makes it a pleasure to play here.I'm already paying to play. I get frustrated with the crowd with $125 bags, 20 discs, a bag full of beer,and an Ipod and they can't throw $20 at the club to fund concrete teepads, and then they complain there's not concrete teepads. Sheeesh... Rant over..

Pay to Play is only OK if the course has something to offer.

I rarely mind paying to play, but when it's a poorly maintained and poorly designed course that costs as much as some of the best private courses I've played I'm not as thrilled to be shelling out the cash.

I believe that a multi-tiered approach works well in my area.

My region has four main courses - two on private property and two with free public access.

At the private courses, we usually pay a $5 green fee on top of whatever the league fee might be. The green fee not only contributes to course maintenance, but the courses are usually stocked with coolers full of beverages and there's usually a BBQ going with dirty dogs and burgers. :) For the extra perks, people don't mind contributing extra bucks to the proprietors. Also, the land owners greatly support our local tournaments, in many ways.

At our two public courses, one is located in a city park and the other is on a skill hill. The city park is an easy 9-holes suburban course, which is a great venue to entice novices. It's also good if you don't want to drive out of town to play one of the larger courses. The other public-access course is located on a downhill ski hill, which is open to play during the off ski season. This course is maintained by the club, and believe me, our club members put forth a lot of sweat and tears to keep it maintained. As beautiful as this course is, the main drawback is that we have to share it with mountain bikers, which can present some logistical challenges throughout the season.

Do I believe in pay for play? Sure I do, but I also appreciate having the option to play a fee-less round, if I don't mind mingling with other park users.

Oh, and the club does hold leagues and tournaments in all of our local courses, so they do get well used.

I've never had a less than spectacular experience at a pay to play course, and I lost 3 discs in 1 round at Flyboy.
I'd like to see more pay to play courses, and eventually see a few Disc Golf resorts.

it costs that much to play a round of putt-putt golf. it costs that much for a pint of guiness with tip. it costs double that to see a movie. i see golfers with upwards of $500 worth of equipment in their bags.

seriously, $5 is "steep" for the game that we love?

If the course was worth it, I would be willing to pay as much as $25 somewhat regularly to play. If the course was phenomenal, I would have no problem spending more than that on occasion.

I generally prefer pay-to-play courses as they are often better maintained, and have a fewer discourteous jerks that frequent them.

i dont know why you would want to pay more for the great free sport of disc golf. I agree with the fact that you get what you pay for.....

That rather sums it up to me. Some people are willing to pay more to get more. Most pay-to-play courses qualify as "more", in one way or the other.

i dont mind paying those chains and other crap needs replacing over time. also maintence ect.. idiot kids having as picnic on the fairway or some idiot kid picking up the disc and running off with it or the moron who throws it back