• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay to Play?

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
I know that pay to play courses aren't that numerous, but they are out there. My question is, if you are going to pay to play a course, what ammenities and features would make you not care about paying?

The course would have to be well groomed (i.e. grass isn't knee high, and the baskets aren't in the middle of a mud pit). That's not saying that you couldn't have tall grass areas and mud pits as challenging obstacles, but you should have a fair opening to the basket for 10 or 20 feet.

A clean course. Trash cans at reasonable intervals.

Refreshment shacks strategically located would be super cool as well. Nothing like a hot dog and a beverage to get you through the back 9, and you don't have to pack it with you.

Nice signs at the tee boxes, and they aren't faded or tagged up.

Multiple courses for one admission. (I'm really dreaming now)

These are a few things I'd pay for any day of the week.

I know that pay to play courses aren't that numerous, but they are out there. My question is, if you are going to pay to play a course, what ammenities and features would make you not care about paying?

I know this doesn't really answer your question but I like how pay to play has a natural way of thinning out the crowds.

A nice club house that sells discs and refreshments. Clean modern restrooms. Plenty of trash cans, and benches/picnic tables scattered around the course.

But most of all, AN AWESOME COURSE!

But most of all, AN AWESOME COURSE!

All the rest is nice, but this is the only thing that really matters.

Beyond imaginingg what I'd like in a pay-to-play, I think of my experience having paid to play, and which courses I would pay to play again. They haven't had great signs and bathrooms and snack bars. They have been good-to-great courses, though.

I'm with David, it's all about the quality of the course itself. I'm much happier paying at a place like Stoney Hill or Holler in the Hills with an awesome design and limited amenities than a place like Token Creek in Madison with great tees and signs and impeccable grooming but a ho hum course overall.

Newport News DG course is pay to play and it has none of that stuff. The only thing it does have is ok tee signs and double tee pads. The fairways are super muddy when it rains, no place to buy discs, and no water/drinks anywhere. Worst pay to play that I know of.

Trophy Lakes, Gran Canyon, Still Waters Farm, Sugaree, Bohart Ski Ranch, Turkey Lake, Richard Russell, IDGC, Hippodrome.....among my favorite pay-to-plays, current & extinct, some with amenities, all with memorable courses.

if you are going to pay to play a course, what ammenities and features would make you not care about paying?

Answer: Baskets

I hold pay-to-play courses to the same standard as free courses. If I like the course, I'm more likely to return.

Lava Creek is $4 and worth it every time. 18 holes of disc shared with 9 holes of ball golf.

1) An awesome course - good design, nice baskets and tees, mowed golf fairways...
2) A clubhouse with beers, snacks, a few discs, and cool owners
3) Located in the town of Paradise (20 minutes from home)
4) Less unwanted element (except maybe the golfers :p)
5) Price is reasonable - you can also pre-pay for 10 rounds for $30

I don't need amenities, I just need a good course (challenging, varied, etc) with good upkeep (maintenance and cleaning). I really with we had one or two pay2plays around here, but we're got some stellar freebies, so it would have to be really amazing to draw players to it.

a great course, well maintained with friendly staff and a plus is it keeps the people who like to brake things out.

I would pay not to have scumbags in groups of 5-8 not letting a solo play though. Paying could potentially thin out this crowd. Also at pay courses I do not have to see the trashy residents and their children festering through local parks yelling as I throw, or waiting 10minutes for people walking on paths to get out of the way or walking on the fairway and deciding to sit down.

I played in a tourney this past weekend at a pay course. One thing it needed was SHADE. The old guy in our group was about to keel over. Nice course but still no shade. The greens, sand traps and golf tees areas were out of bounds. 10 bucks for the day. I did like the course but here in Florida, a place to cool off is necessary. Course was Bobby Jones in Sarasota.

just an outstanding course...I don't play for commodities; satisfied with the beauties of the game!

id expect some sort of wow factor incorporated with the course itself, challenging, fun to the point where i get that extra experience. theres numerous courses ive played that charge, but none that were really worth it, except winter park, co. and lemon lake, but i didnt even have to pay to play when i was at lemon, but i wouldve no problem. i believe if the course isnt anything special, the balance needs to be served: i'd expect bathrooms, signs, fountains and strippers..

Latest posts