• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] PD/OLF and Eagle/TB match ups -- how would you play it?

How would you match 'em up.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ODRB

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
I often carry all four. But let's poll and talk about which pairing you'd choose and why. Which plastics? like these threads. And I like talking about my favorite drivers.

Last edited:
If I had to choose I'd go OLF for control driver, with a Teebird and Eagle.

And a Leopard.

Although I'm not throwing eagles or olfs right now I think that they are an amazing combo. The hard part is finding good olfs. I like my eagles in dx and olfs in sirius and quantum. With that combo you do need an understable fairway like a leo or something.

Last edited:
I've not thrown an OLF, so I'd go S-PD and Star Eagle. I feel I can get Teebirdy flights from the PD and then shape more lines with the Eagle.

I've not thrown an OLF, so I'd go S-PD and Star Eagle. I feel I can get Teebirdy flights from the PD and then shape more lines with the Eagle.

This gets at the heart of the dilemma. And the reason I tend to carry a mix of all four. OLFs and Eagles shape so much better lines and PDs and Teebirds. PDs and Teebirds right at tight gaps.

To clarify:

I've lately carried 2 PDs (CPD and SPD) and a QOLF as control drivers (handling 80% of all distance teeshots), and 2 Champ Eagles and a star TB in the fairway slots. I carry a SOLS and a Patriot as their US partners, and a FB for more beef (although .

I'm surprised at how skewed the poll is in favor of the PD/TB combo. I get how good they are at point and shoot, and I love them for that. But they don't shape lines the way the OLFs/Eagles do, or is that just me? If I were concerned with mold minimization, I'd likely want to go PD/Eagle OR OLF/TB, but I just can't convince myself...

Maybe people want 2 discs that go really straight with fade? :confused:

I know a few people who have gone back and fourth between tb's/pd's but not that bag them together religiously for a minimal bag purpose at all. Seems like between a beat and fresh baseline/premium pd or tb set up those lazer lines to late fade are covered with even a PPD getting some right turn. Eagle sounds like it makes sense to me. When I rock a minimal bag I don't carry volts and craves. Id rather have a driver with some turn and fade to go with one of them.

No idea what an OLF is but being millennium its probably a better eagle. Guess I should have voted OLF and Teebird :D

It's skewing more PD/TB likely because more people throw either or both of them. I personally go with the OLF, QOLS, Eagle combo. I have had PDs & Avengers rotated in the OLF category, but always come back to them.

My setup:
1 - newish SOLF
1 - QOLS
1 - beat DX Eagle-x
1 - worn DX Eagle-x
1 - Star EX

Various FBs for beef.

I forgot to vote initially, so have gone back and added a PD/Eagle vote for you.

Personally, when I was throwing PDs as my fastest driver (pre-Wraith), I had three in the bag: C-line, S-line, and P-line. After using that setup for awhile, I dropped all but one Teebird because I realized I could cover about 99% of the Teebird shots with the various PDs. If you're minimalizing, the Eagle just makes more sense, TO ME, as a compliment to PDs.

If the OLF is truly Eagle-ish, then pair that with Teebirds. Or keep carrying all of them. :)

I picked TB/PD because it's what I bag. Straight-to-fade is okay for most holes, especially if you can throw forehand and backhand. And you can still work an S-curve out of a Teebird or PD, if you torque them over enough.

That said, I'm carrying Leopards too. Those cover my S-curve needs in the woods, especially when they are powered down a little bit. So that affects my decision too. Take away my Leopards and the TB/PD pairing doesn't look so great.

If I was going to replace my whole driver lineup with one of the options above, I would probably go Eagle-PD and cycle DX Eagles.

I go Star Teebird and S-PD. I really don't see overlap between them on most shots other than open ones without wind.

The Teebird is so mellow, if I want straight to fade it will do that in the lower 300's but I throw it up to 350' and by that point it's so straight and the HSS has a little waiver to it.

If I need something that I can guarantee the HSS is 0 at that range, then I go to the SPD. Plus it will have more fade at that 350' range where the Teebird really straightened out. With the SPD I have confidence I can throw it really hard and flat and it will be fine unless I really OAT it. The Teebird I have to lay off of a bit.

I get a little more range with the SPD too but it gets out there from speed/power whereas the Teebird just hovers along. I know the SPD is capable of 400' but I haven't got it that far yet. I really don't see direct overlap when wind or hyzer comes into play between the S and star of each. I could see how a beefy champ Teebird may be more similar. I do feel a very big difference in power requirement between the two, and how I can really easily back off on the Teebird and hit gaps for a straight flight. Even champ Teebirds I feel I can throw way more mellow than an SPD.

The Teebird also will hold mellow turnovers, whereas the PD needs to be thrown hard to get it to hold an anhyzer that will flex forward a bit. Very different there.

I do supplement them with an understable/stable mold like the Saint which I can hit turnovers and hyzer flips with almost zero fade, so I can't do 100% of fairway stuff with just the Teebird/PD. But that's the way I do it and I am really enjoying it.

Last edited:
Fun! I chose PD/TB. I like to use the tweener 10 speeds off of the tee most of the time. However, I also bag a CD and a Leo. Stable to less goes:

New SPD, Beat SPD, Newish SCD
New STb, used STb, used SLeo

The Leo is mostly a utility. I really enjoy the more used TB and PD. CD replaced the PPD. More consistent with it. Of course there's a FB in there too.

Cheers!

I would only throw one of those four (multiples of that mold). Favorite>least:

OLF
Eagle
Teebird
PD

I choose TB + PD
DX/S/Brin TB + P/S/C PD = :cool:

It's seems like you could cover more shots with that combo. If I wasn't so attached to Firebirds and if my local courses were longer I'd rock PDs. If I could only throw one of each it would likely be C or SPD + DX TB.

Last edited:
I bag an S pd and a flippy P pd for distance and "teebird" lines and a slew of eagles for control drivers. Slower is better IMO for control, even though I do like OLFs (they're "faster eagles" how could I not?) The only bugaboo with OLFs is you have to track down certain runs if you're anal.

Bagging teebirds and PDs seems really redundant, PDs power down well any way and you don't have to run down coveted CAL tooled 11x high PLH blah blah blah for good ones.

I have bagged all of them in each combination. For me it came down to how I play my my shots. I feel more comfortable throwing with a little bit of hyzer and flipping the disc up so I settled on the OLF and Eagle combo. Sometimes I drop one for the other but one of them are always in my bag.

Bagging teebirds and PDs seems really redundant, PDs power down well any way and you don't have to run down coveted CAL tooled 11x high PLH blah blah blah for good ones.

Lots of people say they power down ok, but I really don't find that to be the case for me. Maybe I just don't have the power to afford to power it down and still get a laser beam enough flight...I have a fairly solid 400' Destroyer shot for reference.

What range do you find the PD useful in, and what is powering it down for you?

I definitely find that the Teebird acts way more mellow in certain ranges than a powered down PD. But that's for me, and everyone throws a bit different.

I just added Teebirds back to my bag, they're better at holding lines than my Eagles which are better for shaping lines. I've taken all my faster drivers out to work on my consistency but so far I'm not really missing them.

I've never thrown an OLF so I can't comment on it, but given the other choices, I would choose an S-PD and a Champion Eagle and not really feel like I had a hole in my bag.

Latest posts