• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Discipline

Taken Seriously

That event was a PDGA event, PDGA stands for Professional Disc Golf Association. Which in turn requires a PROFESSIONAL behavior at the event, this obviously was not a professional behavior. If we want disc golf to grow we should truly examine the behavior we portray at any event let alone a PDGA event.

I think this should be posted online, and not just because I though it was really funny, but also because you can't have people mooning the ladies at tournaments. We do enough on this site to drive them away with our terrible jokes, tournaments at least should try to keep them in the game.

Did I mention how funny I thought this was? yeah? ok, good.

At a professional event, this sort of thing should not happen; otherwise, its just a joke.

That event was a PDGA event, PDGA stands for Professional Disc Golf Association. Which in turn requires a PROFESSIONAL behavior at the event, this obviously was not a professional behavior. If we want disc golf to grow we should truly examine the behavior we portray at any event let alone a PDGA event.

Is it professional behavior for the PDGA to take a private apology and post it online for all to see? I think not. Suspend the guy and be done with it.

It's not a private apology, it's an open letter of apology that was intended to be posted on the PDGA site so those affected by his action could see it. The letter goes on to say he would personally apologize at the Phoenix event.

Also notice that the letter mentions that he was not aware children were present. For a lot of people, especially in our current times, the presence of children can totally change how an action such as his was received. I wonder if it would have been a different response if children were not there?

It's not a private apology, it's an open letter of apology that was intended to be posted on the PDGA site so those affected by his action could see it. The letter goes on to say he would personally apologize at the Phoenix event.

I maintain that it's ridiculous. That letter is not only being seen by those affected by his action.

I understand what you guys did and what you were trying to do. I just don't agree that it's appropriate. But I disagree a lot with what the PDGA does in general, so whatever. As I'm only an unskilled hobbyist, my opinion shouldn't matter in any case.

This, Duesler, a quick trip to the rules board at the PDGA forum...I won't be joining any time soon.

Also notice that the letter mentions that he was not aware children were present. For a lot of people, especially in our current times, the presence of children can totally change how an action such as his was received. I wonder if it would have been a different response if children were not there?

Amen. This sort of "protect the children at all costs" attitude has gotten way out of control in America. Whether it's something like this, where we all flip out over something you see every time the plumber comes over, or something more serious like Miami's ghetto for paroled sex offenders (who all live under an onramp because Florida law prohibits everywhere else in the city because of proximity to parks, schools, churches, etc. and can't leave town because they're on parole.)

I would have hoped a sport with a more "chill" reputation wouldn't make such a big deal of it, but I guess they could have done worse.

"He just mooned somebody."
Hey, that's sexual harrassment Zack! Sexual harrassment should never be taken lightly. I, personally, can't believe he wasn't suspended longer. What a crass and unprofessional thing to do...what is this guy, like 12?
If I was a tournament sponsor or cooridinator, I wouldn't let this kid play in ANY future tournaments.
What a jerk...

not a kid- definitely over 40 since he plays primarily pro masters.

if it occurred following the event when pictures were being shot i would question whether the pdga actually has grounds to discipline him. doesn't the event end when the awards are given out?

The funny thing is that he competed in the Gentlemans Classic the past years. Whether or not it happened after the awards ceremony is probably moot point because he is still representing the PDGA. Think of all the pro athletes that have off field/court issues that lead to suspensions. Personally I don't care about someone mooning, and still don't see how that is a criminal offense, unless his ballz were hanging down and giving the flying squirrel, but it was distasteful and should not have been done in that company even though it was to be funny.

The letter of apology is to the PDGA and the public, so posting it online is fine. I had to write a letter of apology to my college and the head of the student/athletic academic adviser after cussing that crazy bitch out because she starting accusing me of something I didn't do. She got me confused with one of my teammates and started yelling at me, and I didn't even know what the hell she talking about, so I just basically told her to go F herself and left my study hall. I still don't understand how she confused me and my teammate because im 5'7" and hes 6'4".

A guy on my college team was arrested for mooning the hotel lobby from a glass elevator during our conference championships after day 1, and was suspended the rest of the meet. He was facing trial as a sex offender, and would have had to register as such had he been convicted, but I think they eventually dropped the charges. I can't remember, but I think he was suspended by the school the next semester also.

there is no off-the-course code of conduct to my knowledge that one agrees to when joining the pdga. you would know better than i but i think there is such a thing with the ncaa. there used to be something in the rulebook attempting to govern conduct in hotel rooms and such during the overnight of 2 day events but that was removed. imo this was likely an issue for local law enforcement and not the pdga (or merely idiotic behavior). the pdga attemting to dictate member's behavior outside of events is a VERY slippery slope.

it's actually the gentlemen's club classic- not quite the same meaning as gentleman's classic.

It was a Ladies event.......... Why was he there? Spectator? I hope he wasn't event staff.......that would be seriously poor judgement.

All that aside, i'm thinking that most of the women got a chuckle out of it. It's just a couple cheeks.

His wife was playing and he was a caddy. Futhermore, Zach is at nearly every tournament, playing or supporting. Zach is a really good guy and loves to try and lighten the mood at every chance he gets. Sometimes he mistakenly goes too far. I can assure you that there was no malice intended.

Hey, that's sexual harrassment Zack! Sexual harrassment should never be taken lightly. I, personally, can't believe he wasn't suspended longer. What a crass and unprofessional thing to do...what is this guy, like 12?
If I was a tournament sponsor or cooridinator, I wouldn't let this kid play in ANY future tournaments.
What a jerk...

Lighten up man!! These events are meant to be fun too. Have you forgotten that?

This particular incident was only the tip of the assberg for Zach who was known as a 'troublemaker' at more than just this event despite his apparent fun-loving nature (which I get). I suspect this event happened to be one where someone followed thru with a report to the PDGA Disciplinary Committee for action whereas earlier infractions never got documented and reported perhaps simply to avoid the hassle. Specifically, there were issues related to permission for vending at both the 2007 Am Worlds and then at Pro Worlds where I was TD and had to deal with it. We sorted it out professionally and it wasn't something that would require disciplinary action, but it was just an unnecessary disruption.

there is no off-the-course code of conduct to my knowledge that one agrees to when joining the pdga. you would know better than i but i think there is such a thing with the ncaa. there used to be something in the rulebook attempting to govern conduct in hotel rooms and such during the overnight of 2 day events but that was removed. imo this was likely an issue for local law enforcement and not the pdga (or merely idiotic behavior). the pdga attemting to dictate member's behavior outside of events is a VERY slippery slope.

it's actually the gentlemen's club classic- not quite the same meaning as gentleman's classic.

I think you are correct about there being no off-the-course code of conduct for the PDGA. As the sport grows, it would not surprise me if one is implemented though especially as more money(sponsorship) gets involved.

Thats more like the behavior I'd expect from a Gentlemans Club. lol. Its still ironic, to me atleast.

What a jerk...

Mooning is not sexual harassment, even if it is defined by the law as such. People need to lighten up. I think the worst thing he did was possibly ruin someone's nice picture, and I think the apology letter was classy and sincere.

. . . until someone decided to bring it back up in a public forum.
It happened in public. The problem was observed and reported by others. It was not hearsay or a "behind the scenes" issue. People that were affected knew how it was resolved on the site. No secret.

Latest posts