• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Doping Control?

I could see the DGPT doing something like this just for their events. Much smaller player base to deal with compared to the PDGA doing it for all sanctioned events.

I would agree with this...but only because they could leverage it as a selling point to a potential outside sponsor who thinks DG is a hippie sport.

Aka we'll drug test if it makes you more comfortable giving us sponsorship cash.

I would agree with this...but only because they could leverage it as a selling point to a potential outside sponsor who thinks DG is a hippie sport.

Aka we'll drug test if it makes you more comfortable giving us sponsorship cash.

Makes sense. But I also think the pro side of the sport is getting younger and younger every year. I just don't see how the PDGA/DGPT could publicly embrace vaping, weed, etc, while teens are showing up in media covered rounds.

Makes sense. But I also think the pro side of the sport is getting younger and younger every year. I just don't see how the PDGA/DGPT could publicly embrace vaping, weed, etc, while teens are showing up in media covered rounds.

The same way they have alcohol and beer sponsors. With it becoming more and more common within 5 years marijuana will be looked at the same way. Most people want to compare it to smoking but I think it's most comparable to alcohol.

I love this thread so much. So many secret scientists and know what's best for yous. PDGA will never test for weed, because by the time they could, it will be legal. It will still probably be against the rules to do it during tournament play, but so is drinking. And having a beer before your round is not prohibited as far as I know.

Legality is irrelevant. If it's deemed PED it isn't allowed in the sport and will result in a penalty (usually suspension).

Diaz in MMA retroactively lost a fight for THC.

The same way they have alcohol and beer sponsors. With it becoming more and more common within 5 years marijuana will be looked at the same way. Most people want to compare it to smoking but I think it's most comparable to alcohol.

You won't see weed sponsors for some time. I'd give it 30 years.

They tried canibinoid sponsors in SX/MX. and were shot down.

DG could buck the trend—nothing explicitly stopping them as they haven't gone the testing route.

I don't think DG can afford testing so it won't happen. But, if it does the pro side will die or at least wither and the core/grass roots will continue as always.

Its been done already happened last year - https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/39807
https://www.abx.org/

DG could buck the trend—nothing explicitly stopping them as they haven't gone the testing route.

I don't think DG can afford testing so it won't happen. But, if it does the pro side will die or at least wither and the core/grass roots will continue as always.

I don't necessarily think we will see rec weed sponsors for some time, but we have already seen CBD sponsors for Elite Series events. I also don't think it will be even close to 30 years.

I don't necessarily think we will see rec weed sponsors for some time, but we have already seen CBD sponsors for Elite Series events. I also don't think it will be even close to 30 years.

Per the above, looks like I missed the boat.

Throw in testing and the world turns upside down.

The question is if it is a bump in the road or a direction?

This means exactly nothing. I suppose it's historic for the House to pass such a bill but Mitch will never allow it and Trump will never sign it. More false hope from worthless politicians in the House who KNEW it would never fly but who will brag about their useless votes anyway. Now they can all say they tried and failed and the issue will be dropped like a bad habit.:wall:

Just thinking about the pro tour, sure make tests for weed. If you want to disqualify 50% of the players, sure.

What's up brotha!?

I meant to post this question awhile back. Does anybody know how strict of an equipment check is done at major events?

Bottom line, I think the issue with marijuana is that it is still a Federal crime. While they haven't done so and probably won't...the Feds could still come after growers and distributors. Enforcing the federal law would mean people could lose their buildings, vehicles, and anything else used as part of the 'crime'.

I believe this is the main reason organizations don't want to be 'associated' with marijuana at this time. Heck, most banks don't accept deposits from marijuana businesses since the backs are federally insured.

Congress is finally taking up the question of whether or not it should stay illegal or not (or whether the type of 'crime' should be downgraded).

I think it is time for some unbiased research.
1. how does marijuana affect the brain/body? - what is the amount where a person is impaired?
2. does marijuana enhance performance? - or is it only a pain reliever as far as performance is concerned?

We have that information for alcohol....why not for marijuana?
Any previous tests/research is no longer valid as marijuana has changed....growth is more controlled and, for legal growers/sellers, monitored. It is important to know how "today's" marijuana affects the brain/body.

As far as the motocross and CBD sponsors, I believe CBD is still illegal in some states? That would be my guess as far as why it's not shown on tv, either that or whoever is doing the broadcasting has policies about not promoting CBD on air?

I believe Amazon and a few retailers only sell products advertised as hemp oil? I'm assuming to be in compliance with wherever they might ship to?

As far as the PDGA is concerned and their competition rules, think of it two ways. They might have their own ideas as far as what is and isn't allowed during play as far performance is concerned. If a local government or park has their own rules, and for a sanctioned event to occur within that space, it only makes sense that their own rules fall in line with any local regulation. To give a really weird example, there's a local park in which the city's website doesn't say you explicitly can't drink, you just can't be intoxicated.

I'd personally be amazed if you see any kind of testing 10 years out. Too much effort for what to be gained?

Since the other thread got closed I'll post it here. Last week the NBA announced it is now NO LONGER testing for marijuana and said it will only look for PED's in test results. I've heard ex NBA players say most smoke it anyways, so not sure how strict they tested before. They likely give a decent notice prior to testing I would guess.

The trend in pro sports is to treat weed as alcohol. Beneficial for pain relief but definitely not a PED.

I wonder how the NBA got so big with all those weed smokers?